I Spy In The Holiday Bones Pic

Lanzfeld

The Jaggies are a function of the video card and it's settings. Nothing we can do about that per se.

Grass is likely to continue (as it does in CM:SF) "grow" through units. Tying up the CPU figuring out collision detection between unit polygons and grass would not be fun for the game experience ;) Plus, it's impossible to simulate each blade of grass like a Pixar film, so if there is a detected collision the whole strip of grass would have to be turned off or yet more CPU power wasted on figuring out how much of it should be disabled and how much of it should be drawn. Much easier on the poor old 'puter to let there be some graphical rough edges that pretty much only get noticed in static screenshots :)

On that note, it is quite funny to see that no matter how much the graphics improve they are still lacking in ways. CM:Normandy's terrain might be a thousand times better than CMBO's, but it's still waaaaaaaaaaaay less detailed than our natural world. Someday, probably when I'm old and gray, games will be able to look like Pixar movies. I really, really hope I live to see that day because it will be so cool! I just hope my eyesight holds up so I can enjoy it ;)

Steve

BTW, since you have provoked me to look more closely at the pics, I notice the grass growing up through the armor. Also the close-up of the Marder in the second pic suffers some from the jaggies. Presumably those are some of the finer points needing clearing up that Steve alluded to.

Michael

LOL!!!!!

So it begins Steve!

The Jaggies are a function of the video card and it's settings. Nothing we can do about that per se.

Grass is likely to continue (as it does in CM:SF) "grow" through units. Tying up the CPU figuring out collision detection between unit polygons and grass would not be fun for the game experience ;) Plus, it's impossible to simulate each blade of grass like a Pixar film, so if there is a detected collision the whole strip of grass would have to be turned off or yet more CPU power wasted on figuring out how much of it should be disabled and how much of it should be drawn. Much easier on the poor old 'puter to let there be some graphical rough edges that pretty much only get noticed in static screenshots :)

Understood. I think when actually playing the game, it shouldn't even be particularly noticeable as (a) we aren't likely to have the camera that close much of the time, and (B) the player is more likely to be concentrating on the action rather than how photogenic it all is.

On that note, it is quite funny to see that no matter how much the graphics improve they are still lacking in ways. CM:Normandy's terrain might be a thousand times better than CMBO's, but it's still waaaaaaaaaaaay less detailed than our natural world.

That's always been the story of computer graphics. Always been true of photography and art as well. I feel relatively safe to say that any depiction of reality is necessarily a simplification of that reality. It's actually a unique and different thing with its own character and peculiarities. Maybe someday someone will come up with a workable algorithm that will transmit exact reproductions—complexity theory maybe—but except for reproductions of items that were digital entities from the beginning, we aren't there yet.

Michael

I didn't take the screenshots, so I can't tell for sure. I did figure someone would ask though ;) My guess is that it's a Sherman, though of course it could be a Tiger since that was the first model textured for the game (and up until yesterday, the only screenshot we released).

Steve

If it is a sherman then how is it they are not turning to fight it!?

LOS bug. Game is broken.