U.S and British Troops to Issue New Uniforms

Noltyboy,

Then why have them with camoflage patterns?

Two reasons:

1. Dark camouflage uniforms hides grease/fluid stains better. I'm serious, this is not only true but was stated as one reason for the pattern.

2. Morale/PR is positively effected by having uniforms as "cool" as the others out there.

As I said above, sometimes the camouflage is NOT intended to be practical. If a Navy wanted to make it's crew members "invisible" while on ship, a solid color identical to the mono-tone hull color would be the best bet. Any colored shapes on the uniform actually highlights the Human form, not erases it, unless the Human is perfectly still.

Steve

The Swiss camo is based on late war Third Reich designs intended as the world's first purpose designed universal camo. It does extremely well in certain types of terrain, including urban.

this was really intended as "universal" camo? heck one never stops learning new things. i thought it would only really work well in woods in "fall" where most leafes are yellow/orange/red. there it made sense to me, but that this was as said intended as "universal", i never thought that.

The U.S. Air Force almost adopted a cool looking blue camouflage scheme. Only one problem--a minus blue filter made the plane stand out like a sore thumb! That's why grays are used instead. Not sure if this was the pattern considered for forcewide adoption, but it does convey the idea.

http://www.kbvp.com/photo/f-18e-super-hornet-aggressor-blue-camouflage-california-capital-airshow-photo-gallery

Regards,

John Kettler

UCP-Delta in the field. Like I said, it's "Better" than UCP, but still pretty bad.

Which is why I'd give a bit of my reproductive system for a set of UCP-Delta. It's so bad it's hard to imagine it will be adopted, and that means the ones in the field now (and in storage) will likely be the only ones ever. That makes my spidey senses tingle :D

Steve

The U.S. Air Force almost adopted a cool looking blue camouflage scheme. Only one problem--a minus blue filter made the plane stand out like a sore thumb! That's why grays are used instead. Not sure if this was the pattern considered for forcewide adoption, but it does convey the idea.

I may still have a copy of an issue of Air International from the '80s that illustrated several different camo schemes being tested on the F/A-18 at that time. One of them had a faux cockpit painted on the underside, the idea being that it might for a split second deceive an opponent as to the plane's true attitude. This was in shades of blue IIRC. I presume it was not thought to be worth the trouble of adopting. Looked good on the page though.

Michael

Which is why I'd give a bit of my reproductive system for a set of UCP-Delta. It's so bad it's hard to imagine it will be adopted, and that means the ones in the field now (and in storage) will likely be the only ones ever. That makes my spidey senses tingle :D

Steve

I don't have access to Clothing and Sales anymore, I think, unless my VA card lets me in, but I can look around. General Jackson may have some. Maybe.

I don't have access to Clothing and Sales anymore, I think, unless my VA card lets me in, but I can look around. General Jackson may have some. Maybe.

Scoring rare kit for me is something that never goes unrewarded. A friend of mine, just back from Afghanistan, is about to get some REALLY nice Scotch, for example :)

John,

The Blue Tigers were dropped in part because nobody really liked the look. The uniforms, however, were vastly superior in terms of wearability to the junk that is being issued now. I have a set of the Blue Tigers and it's made from 100% cotton. Really comfortable, but it didn't hold up to USAF "crisp" specs. The current Digital Tiger does, but at the cost of being a horrible uniform to wear. The USAF is on its third model of the uniform since it first went into the field in 2007. That's right... third! And even with that the reports from the field are that it still sucks. Unfortunately, the USAF does't appear to want to drop the fresh pressed look from the uniform, which means airmen will be wearing thick cardboard around in 120 degree heat for some time to come.

Steve

Since TV/Hollywood has run out of ideas and are remaking so much from the 70's and 80's, that's a behind-the-scenes shot from the lot of "CHiPs: Baghdad".

Or

Since the US military has run out of ideas, they are bringing back motorcycle troops. This is bad news for BFC as people will clamor for their inclusion in CM:SF, much like they did for horses in CMx1.