Strykers Adopt Desert Tan Color

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We so focused on the issue of paint and camou that we forgot to look at the pictures!

Take a look at that 4th photo down, the 3/4 rear shot. Just look at that monster slab of steel(?) spaced out beneath the troop compartment rear. How thick is that? An inch, inch-and-a-half? I can scarcely imagine what a fullly kitted and stowed Stryker weighs nowadays.

slab.jpg

MickeyD i can imaging that plate got bigger after some IED strikes.Its seems to me to be a 2 inch or less thick steel plate.Those stryker's are i hear around 32 tons, maybe a little more with ammo and fuel and whatever else they can throw in there.

I would have liked to have that plate under my car back in the college day's.Those speed bumps they had were brutal.

Mord,

I saw that...the one with the link about the Libyan Uni being Syrian? Or some such?

Yup, that was not Syrian. I forget what they actually had a picture of, but IIRC it was West German Border Guard (Bundesgrenzschutz) and not Libyan (they are not the same patterns). Syrians have only had two types of camo as far as I know: reddish vertical "lizard" and Woodland. The former was used for a brief time by a small number of units, the latter has pretty much been standard for 1st line units since the mid 1990s.

Some pics posted here of Syrians in Woodland type uniforms:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=89391

Steve

Let's just think about an organization which is concerned with camouflaging the BOTTOM of a vehicle; WTF? Is that so it can hide after it's been flipped over? Yeah, yeah, I'm sure it's already been primed, so don't tell me it's to rust-proof the bottom. I wonder what the extra man-hours to paint the underbody are billed at to the taxpayers?

But, more importantly, will this be correctly portrayed in game? ;) Accurate underbody skins, or the game is broken!

Ken

Let's just think about an organization which is concerned with camouflaging the BOTTOM of a vehicle; WTF? Is that so it can hide after it's been flipped over? Yeah, yeah, I'm sure it's already been primed, so don't tell me it's to rust-proof the bottom. I wonder what the extra man-hours to paint the underbody are billed at to the taxpayers?

But, more importantly, will this be correctly portrayed in game? ;) Accurate underbody skins, or the game is broken!

Ken

Imagine the chaos that would be caused if everything but the bottom was painted. Pogue officers would be running around confused about what to do "Ahhh it's not perfectly uniform! My OER is ruined!". The First Sergeant would randomly tell soldiers to paint it, but since they don't have paint, it never actually gets done. Someone else would ask "well, if the bottom is still green, maybe the whole thing is supposed to be green? Maybe the tan was a mistake and they forgot until they got to the bottom?" and then the damned thing would get painted green again. No, it's best to just do the whole thing.

• 4 years later...

[grave digging]

So are Strykers still green nowadays? I spotted various desert color mods in the repo and thinking should I adopt this, googled Stryker on the net, and all the pics I got are still green except some scale model kits and game screenshots. You'd think they've started painting new ones tan by now unless REFORGER is still the biggest thing?..

[/grave digging]