Normandy question

Just get those trees right and I'll be happy. Who cares if the PZIV's bolts arent 100% accurate? There will be only few of them on the field while terrain graphics will be dominant. Imo, world graphics should be a high priority, 3d models are great but you can only appreciate them when zoomed in.

And yes great photoshoping gents!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the work was almost done! What should we understand from your post above?

Modules have a big advantage over primary titles. With modules all the up-front work is done! You just skin a few vehicles and you're finished (a gross misrepresentation, of course).

Primary titles, though, you've got EVERYTHING to do over again. All the different ground cover to produce again, horizons, trees, houses, new flavor objects, bridges, walls. You've got new soldier movements to animate, different weather effects. You want a wine bottle flavor object? Someone has to construct a 3-D wine bottle first. Heck you even have to produce new "Western European" blades of grass! So "almost done" for a primary title may still involve many more man hours than "just starting" a module. :)

So "almost done" for a primary title may still involve many more man hours than "just starting" a module. :)

You are missing the point, MikeyD.

CM:N was announced to be basically finished by Christmas 2009, while now it sounds more like an Easter 2010 release.

Best regards,

Thomm

Well, as GSX said...

There are plenty of other ways I can spend my time before a Normandy game comes out but as you were the one promising definites I wouldnt mind a straight answer. If the answer is 'we wont be publishing before Summer 10' then Im a big lad and can take it.

...just give us another best guess as to the release date. We'll adjust expectations accordingly.

Does it? I don't know...it sounded to me like Steve was saying something like within weeks of New Years. But maybe we both are reading too much into his statement.

All conjecture, of course, but it seems that the game is not ready for being released to the guys who make the scenarios. Preparing the campaign(s) can easily take up to three months. I am just doing the math.

If I am wrong, the better for all of us.

Best regards,

Thomm

You are missing the point, MikeyD.

CM:N was announced to be basically finished by Christmas 2009, while now it sounds more like an Easter 2010 release.

Best regards,

Thomm

The important question is: So what?

While Steve has been foolishly definite in his predictions, it's still a prediction, not some legally binding contract with us to release on X date. They don't actually owe it to us to make the date. I'd rather see a delay then BFC sticking to a certain date at all costs. We all know what happened last time.

The alternative is keeping us wholly in the dark. I would like that a whole lot less then BFC missing their release date.

At least, in theory, there's going to be a whole new Afghanistan game to play on while waiting for Normandy. That should help pass the time nicely. :)

I'm curious how current American military players will react to playing Russians in Afghanistan '78-89 (92?). To get an American vet to comment on their recollections compared to the Normandy title you'd need to wake up grandpa!

We're always pressured to give a timeframe. We're always reluctant to give a timeframe. So we compromise and give an estimate based on nothing more than a gut feel and the ever present presumption that nothing unrelated will get in the way. But we don't live in a vacuum and stuff always nibbles away from our primary focus. Much of it stuff you guys are never aware of because its on the business side of thing. That's always been the case, always will be :D

Steve

We're always pressured to give a timeframe. We're always reluctant to give a timeframe. So we compromise and give an estimate based on nothing more than a gut feel and the ever present presumption that nothing unrelated will get in the way. But we don't live in a vacuum and stuff always nibbles away from our primary focus. Much of it stuff you guys are never aware of because its on the business side of thing. That's always been the case, always will be :D

Steve

Yes, I totally understand this part but it is you that is providing all the expectation here. You firstly state that the game will definitely be out in 2009 and then casually change this to the game will be ready to go before Xmas but for personal reasons will be delayed until right after it. Then you state that the game features are still being worked on, which leads me to think that theres no way its going to be released right after Xmas.

Now, in any of this I didnt really see how you could be pressured by any of us. As I said, I can find something else to do until Normandy and as others have pointed out its no huge deal breaker to wait a few more weeks or months or even years.

I just wouldnt mind an honest answer, can I expect it before 01 Apr 09? Or failing that answer just tell me to shut the heck up and it will be done when your all ready. I can then stop getting as giddy as a pre-teen schoolgirl as January approaches, saving up the pocket money miserly doled out by my wife for a game that will not arrive until summer, spend that money on something else and stop being obsessed with ww2.

...giddy as a pre-teen schoolgirl as January approaches, saving up the pocket money miserly doled out by my wife for a game...

I'm seriously shocked by so much astounding honesty...

Please allow this poor men to stay in his long since deserved break from reality and tell him his date :D

GSX,

Many games are announced CM Normandy, Afghanistan, NATO etc, Grognards, Naval Battles, CMC (sigh) and others not at all (PT boats), after the contingencies of the market and especially money make games some are delayed or completely abandoned.

ps : CM:N release first quater 2010

Steve

I do not play with CMSF I prefer the historic WWII battles and I hope battlefront will explode sales with CM Normandy, would do what they hurry to get out of other modules soon !

ps: I'm getting old but I'm happy

Pat

GSX,

Now, in any of this I didnt really see how you could be pressured by any of us.

Er...

I just wouldnt mind an honest answer, can I expect it before 01 Apr 09?

But no pressure, right? :)

You guys are really funny sometimes with your "hey, no pressure for a release date. Release it when it's done and I'll be happy. Oh, and by the way, give me an exact date when it will be done". It's straight out of a standup comedy routine like Who's On First :D

Steve

We are still aiming to have the game itself done before the beginning of the year. Meaning all the features we plan on being added should be in the game. How long it will take to get the game released after that... we're not sure. But a couple of months is certain. Therefore, it won't be January. However, none of us want it to be April either. I haven't had a relaxing summer off since about 2004. Daddy needs a tan :)

Steve