The Underground Movement

No doubt our UK friends are proud of their virtual fieldcraft, but this is taking concealment a bit too far...

infantryinground.jpg

I have also noted instances of infantry models sinking into slopes and a few other items here. Given that v1.21 is likely to be CMSF's swan song, it would be great if these few remaining issues were sorted out.

If it helps, I have the "saved game" files available, including the turns prior to and after the infantry/terrain meld - just let me know what to submit and where.

Thanks to George and Charles for the follow up - much appreciated.

I am rather surprised to learn the underground infantry issue is a result of lack of PC horsepower. Isn't it odd that the models remain below ground until they are ordered to move regardless of the amount of processor intensive activity occurring in the game?

While it is certainly not cutting edge, I run an E6850 dual core processor (3 Ghz), 2 GB of "dual channeled" DDR2 RAM and an 8800 GTX (768 MB) GPU. My scenarios consist of reinforced platoons fighting on maps approximately 1100 meters long by 400 meters wide. I have never experienced any type of visual stuttering or the like related to low framerates.

Are these items also the result of an under strength system?

A Syrian ATGM team flew 15 meters through the air when ordered to mount a BTR.

"Save Game" file available.

levitationmount2.jpg

A UK Mech Infantryman levitated above the ground and flew to a waypoint, then reversed course while still in mid-air, revisited the starting waypoint and flew back to the final destination.

levitatinginfantry.jpg

M240's can become disjoined from their crews and continue to fire and reload themselves.

m240.jpg

Thanks for taking a look. As before, I will be glad to provide any further details that may be helpful.

Hmm.... well, your system is certainly fine. Better than the one I use :) And if you're not noticing stuttering, then I'm sure your framerate is not a problem. Yet you're experiencing a bunch of problems that nobody else is experiencing. Problems that are pretty noticeable and of the type that tend to get people posting (just like you did ;)). Sooooooooo... I have to say it's something on your end. But I don't know what!

Processor overload does cause these sorts of problems. What happens is the game dynamically reduces the fidelity of the simulation itself. Think of it like 3D model LODs, where quality is sacrificed in order to keep up with the overall demands of the game. Therefore, what you're experiencing is definitely consistent with some sort of data handling bottleneck.

Here are some things you can do narrow down the possibilities. Try each one of these and evaluate the game to see if it's changed:

1. Make sure you don't have any other programs running in the background.

2. Try turning off special card features, either using the card's control panel or within CM itself (there are often more options than the game itself specifically deals with).

3. Try dramatically reducing the graphics quality settings and see the problems go away.

Steve

I always recommend turning off shadows. It's a big resource hog without really adding stuff you need or making existing things much prettier.

Perhaps, if you're a vampire. Or is it reflections they lack, I always forget... anyway, I don't think that shadows have such big effect on performance, but they make up 47.6% of the game's visual goodness. Just look at this and imagine how dull it'd be with flat shading:

cmsf_crosds2p.jpg

Steve and Elmar:

Thank you for the quick replies and suggestions, I will have a go with them and see what happens. These are not things that happen all that frequently, but as Steve pointed out, they tend to be attention grabbers when they do occur.

I wonder if my GPU's Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic filters could be the culprits. That said, it certainly is a curious set of circumstances that arise when the game lets you know you may have gone too far. I was starting to think I mistakenly downloaded the hitherto unknown Psychic Warriors Module, which would explain why my virtual infantry can kill goats simply by staring at them.

By in large, I am really enjoying v1.20 and look forward to the additional refinements v1.21 brings. Thanks, again.