Armoured trees cont.

hcrof

trees.jpg

Artillery falling on my position

I was hoping those walls would give my tank some stand off protection - I should have just used a kevlar bush! (If anyone gets that game reference they have both good taste and a very old videogame collection! :P)

I couldn't find the original armoured trees thread but this picture proves a point I think!

Perhaps the trees aren't programmed to break under indirect hits?

Atleast earlier they were. Few MRL batteries were enough to make large spot of forest turn into wasteland, i'm not sure are trunks undestructable, but branches does get blasted away..

But they indeed are tough. If thinking that each trunk is just one tree as they are then they take loads of damage. Seems like much more that some heavy MBT is able without seriously breaking :)

The toughness of trees was lowered a bit in 1.20 and they should lose leaves quickly with semi-close mortar hits or airbursts and fall down with one or a few very close or direct mortar hits, the exact amount of damage required depending on the type of tree (the bigger, the tougher). Judging by the size and distance of those craters (and the fact that the wall within the trees has collapsed), the trees certainly should be screwed.

Trees certainly used to lose leaves (at least) to explosions. Back when we had the good old zombie BMP problem in PBEMs - BMPs (and other IFVs I assume) would gain ammo every few turns in PBEMs. Once 'cooking off' was introduced, it meant that a toasted BMP would carry on producing larger and larger explosions for the rest of the game. In one game, the BMPs were reducing walls to rubble over 100m away from them, and shredding all the trees of leaves too. I did have some nice 'before' and 'after screenshots of how one BMP, taken out by a simple RPG hit, had turned a wooded bank into a desolate hillside, destroyed all the walls in LoS, and taken down a building or two as the game progressed. Two of them together made for a considerable no-go area (not least because one of them was on a slope, and with each explosions shifted downwards slightly, slowly encroaching on some wounded guys of mine that I couldn't buddy-aid. Eventually they were all killed when the BMP brought the roof down on them).