Vehicle suppression 'quirk'

I discovered some unusual behaviour in the airfield attack mission of the Brit campaign.

I had a vehicle - WMIK HMG - come under HMG fire, take two casualties, and the surviving crewman decided to bail out, and sat around being 'shaken' for a while and unresponsive. Since no-one else could crew the vehicle, it sat around doing nothing, and I forgot about it for a while. Towards the end of the battle (about 30 turns later (WEGO)), I needed to ferry some javelin teams around in a hurry, and noticed the vehicle and its crew sitting idle, with the crewman having finally got back to a normal morale/suppression state. I order him back into the WMIK to do some taxi duty.

I notice at the end of the turn, he isn't in the vehicle. I messed up? No. I went and checked the replay, and he got in to the vehicle, and 1 second later, bolted out and hit the dirt, back to 'Shaken'. No incoming fire received .I'm not sure any enemy units were even in LoS - the one that shot the vehicle up in the first place was certainly toast. Besides, he was in the vehicle such a short time that I'm pretty certain that the chances of an enemy spotting that the vehicle had recrewed (at > 600 m), targetting, and getting enough rounds on target to cause the guy to bail out is nil.

Wondering if it was a one off, next turn I ordered him, now in a rather fragile state, back into the vehicle. In he went, and almost immediately the dreaded lingering exclamation mark of doom appears as he routed off the map in terror. Again, no incoming fire.

My best guess to what is happening: the vehicle itself has a 'suppression' state, which is applied to all people inside it (since it is the vehcile that gets targetted). In this case, once everyone had bailed out, the suppression state of the vehicle didn't change, so once the guy gets back in to it 30 minutes later, he gets the immediate whammy of suppression of the initial HMG fire that killed the other two crew. And when he does it again from a fragile state, this is enough to put him over the edge.

I have the save available.

Zmoney,

Same thing happened to me. It seems to me that I am noticeing a lot more little bugs with this new patch maybe its just me.

Nah, more likely you're seeing things that have been in since v1.01 and you're only now just noticing them :D We haven't changed the bailout and suppression code for eons, so I doubt this is a new issue. I'll pass it along to Charles and see what he makes of it.

Steve

In a similar vein, I had a crewman in an LAV taken out by a hit from an SPG-9. The rest of the crew (and the machine gun team riding in back) bailed out, so I figured since the MG team was close to where I wanted them, I gave them a Quick move order. They moved a short distance and then simply stopped (their stamina was at Ready). This happened a number of times. It wasn't until their morale changed from "Shaken" to "Normal" that they would move without stopping arbitrarily. Bug, or how this is supposed to work?

Nah, more likely you're seeing things that have been in since v1.01 and you're only now just noticing them :D We haven't changed the bailout and suppression code for eons, so I doubt this is a new issue. I'll pass it along to Charles and see what he makes of it.

My guess was that until the WMIK turned up, there just weren't any vehicles in game that were likely to take enough fire to get 1-2 crewmen killed without the vehicle also being put out of action too, so it wasn't going to get noticed. When your Stryker is a smoking wreck, the issue of whether trying to get back in to it has ad adverse morale effect on the surviving crew doesn't often come up...

Yup, that is a good theory. Often times bugs slip by unnoticed simply because the conditions for them aren't very common. Then something changes and uncommon becomes common which in turn increases the chance of someone noticing the problem as a problem instead of a one-off occurrence.

It's been noted and will be looked into. Thanks!

Steve