Hurt Locker

I just read some really impressive reviews of a new war movie about bomb disposal during the Iraq War called the Hurt Locker. It looks amazing. Check out the trailer. A definite must see for modern warfare enthusiasts and all around lovers of well done war movies.

Odds are, you'll probably like it. It's averaging a 97% over at RT. Simply put, bad movies never score this high. Will it be perfect, of course not. Will people nitpick the details, of course. But I'm sure gonna go see it when it's released nationally.

Whoopty-do, he took his gear off, so what. Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm guessing if the bomb went off it wouldn't mattered if he was wearing it or not. He'd be dead anyway. At least that's the way it appeared to me, not really a Rambo moment at all.

I am reading Eight Live Down, the story of British Engineers and EOD right now so I was excited to see someone tackle the war from this perspective. There is always someone who challenges the authenticity of a military product every time one is released. From what I read this film has won more awards than any movie this year. Hate to break it to you but it might just be good.

It's a good action flick, but I wouldn't really say that it's a good military movie. But, I do respect them for at least shedding some light on the war that's going on right now, more producers should start telling the stories of our amazing soldiers.

I have to admit, I hit Back on my browser when he took his suit off.

What good would the suit do him? You're dealing with something with 1000% overkill, you either wear a suit that will make you only 500% dead or you take it off and try make sure you don't miss anything.

Off course I'd leave it on so they wouldn't see the poo coming out of my trousers.

It's a good action flick, but I wouldn't really say that it's a good military movie. But, I do respect them for at least shedding some light on the war that's going on right now, more producers should start telling the stories of our amazing soldiers.

Just wondering, have you actually seen it, or are you basing this opinion on the trailer? I'm very curios about this movie.

I think its funny how enthusiasts tend to approach war movies as though they were meant to be "civil war reenactments". I especially remember that Pacific war film "The Thin Red Line" from 1998. It was pretty good as a film but OMG, it was like someone had poked the WWII enthusiasts with a sharp stick! Howls of pain! All the blood was off-camera! Nobody was heroic! Problems with this! Problems with that! I'm almost reminded of trekkies who are gravely offended when some obscure detail about the Enterprise deck plan is off from one film to the next.

I think its funny how enthusiasts tend to approach war movies as though they were meant to be "civil war reenactments". I especially remember that Pacific war film "The Thin Red Line" from 1998. It was pretty good as a film but OMG, it was like someone had poked the WWII enthusiasts with a sharp stick! Howls of pain! All the blood was off-camera! Nobody was heroic! Problems with this! Problems with that! I'm almost reminded of trekkies who are gravely offended when some obscure detail about the Enterprise deck plan is off from one film to the next.

I know what you mean MikeyD, they get too caught up in the details. The Thin Red Line is very underrated IMO. IIRC red line came out not too long after SPR. So the problem was is that people wanted it to be SPR in the the Pacific. Too bad really, it's a good movie IMO. It's just a artsy and poetic war movie really. Whats wrong with something different for a change? But the masses prefer more blood and flash, while enthusiasts couldn't care less.

I did not like TRL at all because it was nothing like what I've read about the Pacific war, based upon reading a great many memoirs. "Too Artsy" would cover it pretty well, yes. And at the complete end of my "don't like" scale, we have the abysmal "Windwalkers" which has to be a low point in PW films IMHO.

Saw the film today and was floored, Amazing. And yes when he takes his suit off in the trailer it is reference to a bomb that is going to level the block. A car trunk full of 155 mm shells. So he decides to disarm it comfortably. At no point is this idiot adventure movie. Very serious and very real. The emotions come across real, the camaraderie is real. Anyone who has served in Iraq will instantly feel the oppressive heat and the stares of the Iraqi's all over again. The ironic thing (not to be disrespectful to women)is this was made by a woman with zero political intentions. A few great cameos by actors who usually take the limelight as well. Gear, attitude, procedure...all there. One of the best war movies I have seen. It really paints a authentic face on Iraq. Our generations Saving Private Ryan minus Tom Hanks and his over acting. Four stars. Go see it.

At least they got the explosions right-er (i.e., more right) than in the vast majority of movies (including many war flicks).

If you're gonna make a movie about US Army troops in Iraq, makes sense to make it about EOD personnel, since IEDs account for most of the casualties the troops suffer.