Helmets on British Troops pics

BillyR

The new gear is called PECOC - note the colours of the disruptive pattern on the load carrying gear. That's hybrid DPM and is apparently common to all climates. The helmet shown there is apparently a developmental design and will not be deployed. Given the CM:SF timeframe they should be Mk6a helmets.

What do you think is wrong with the helmets in game?

The new gear is called PECOC - note the colours of the disruptive pattern on the load carrying gear. That's hybrid DPM and is apparently common to all climates. The helmet shown there is apparently a developmental design and will not be deployed. Given the CM:SF timeframe they should be Mk6a helmets.

What do you think is wrong with the helmets in game?

Well, they look too short at the back. In fact, they do look like they've been modelled on the new gear as per the pic supplied.

I thought the British Helmets were more like the US ones (of course, it's been 19 years since I was in the military...so I might not know what the hell I'm talking about.)

They just don't look like I remember.

The old Mk6 ballistic helmet looked nothing like the old US PASGT "Fritz" helmet :) There was almost no ear protection, unlike PASGT and (to a lesser extent) MICH. Now it looks like there's even less! The purpose is to allow for communications gear, hearing protection, etc. to be easily employed. Personally, based on the reports I saw of the increase in head and neck injuries after the MICH was put into service... I'm surprised the Brits went the opposite direction regarding protection levels. The Marines rejected the MICH because of the decreased protection, instead going with a modified version of the PASGT that looks largely the same.

Steve

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought the helmets looked wierd at the back, but I didn't want to complain because everything else looks great. But I have to admit, besides red or green berets, which I assume won't be in the game, it is the Brits' rounded pot that makes them so distinctive to my old eyes. I hope BF will reconsider.

The helmet you see in the screenshots was done to represent the Mk6a. If it doesn´t look like the Mk6a then it would be wrong. I think it is pretty close though. Although pictures you will find on the internet show the helmet in many different ways, with a net, with stuff attached to it, with a black rubber band, etc.

The basic shape of the Mk6a with a cover, is deceptively simple. It´s not totally round and it goes only slightly down in the back. It´s all very subtle though.

Also it looks quite big. Sometimes too big for the head of the soldier. This is not to say it is actually too big, it just looks that way.

For some reason, if you do it that big in the 3D model it looks a bit weird and wrong, I´m not sure why. So, it is a tiny bit smaller than it should be, specially on the sides.

Additionally, round things eat loads of polys and this helmet is very round. Inevitably one needs to simplify it.

All in all though I think it is a pretty decent representation of the RL counterpart.

-

Ok...my mistake.

The British helmet I am thinking of (which is the one which was in service when I was (if it's the Mk6A) is nothing like the US model....but my point still stands...the model on the soldiers depicted doesn't look right...nor does it look like the Mk6A.

Soz...just my opinion.

"Also it looks quite big. Sometimes too big for the head of the soldier.'

That is a good point, WW, they sometimes do. But I still like that look. Maybe it's the angle of the screenshots, but the helmets look like they don't come done far enough, especially in the back. I think what is distorting things somewhat is the brown camo spot along the left side/back of the helmet, which sort of blends into the terrain, making it look shorter. Anyway, glad the Mk6a is being modeled.

The old Mk6 ballistic helmet looked nothing like the old US PASGT "Fritz" helmet :) There was almost no ear protection, unlike PASGT and (to a lesser extent) MICH. Now it looks like there's even less! The purpose is to allow for communications gear, hearing protection, etc. to be easily employed. Personally, based on the reports I saw of the increase in head and neck injuries after the MICH was put into service... I'm surprised the Brits went the opposite direction regarding protection levels. The Marines rejected the MICH because of the decreased protection, instead going with a modified version of the PASGT that looks largely the same.

Steve

Apparently British troops are being issued with dynamic ear protection that allows quiet sounds to pass but blocks loud ones. Be interesting to see if it works out in combat.

Apparently British troops are being issued with dynamic ear protection that allows quiet sounds to pass but blocks loud ones. Be interesting to see if it works out in combat.

We were issued Peltor Comtac II's prior to deployment. They worked well, active noise reduction is a must for those of us that are trying to preserve what little hearing we have left. The only issue I encountered was that when I had radio traffic the ambient mics cut off. The effect was, I could not carry on a conversation with a local national, or anyone for that matter, while receiving radio traffic. Other than that they were awesome.