British soldiers?!?!?!

Hello all, im curious as to what the British soldiers are gona look like, What kit they going to be using, Id guess that they will fit them with the pouches that fit on the osprey body armour issued.

Shame cause i know from personal experiance that most infantry units use there own chest rigs, issued chest rigs, or issue belt webbing. And also i know it must be immpossible to reproduce this but every infanteer looks differnet in some way with the kit they use. My section in afgan had 4 differnent types of chest rigs and assult vests, all non issue.

Another thing!! Will there be airbourne units wth appropriat helmet,Ie Para helmet?

also with the tactical doctrine, i assume there will be 3-4 8 man sections per platoon, 3 platoon per company, 3 rifle company and a support company with anti tank platoon(javilin) mortar platoon (81mm) recce platoon ( kit depends on battalion role ie armoured battalion scimitar cvrt, light role uses wimk) machine gun platoon (gpmg, 50 cal, gmg) and a sniper platoon (looks like they have got the kit right for them) per battalion.

If anyone reads this who has anything to do with it i will be more than willing to help,

John

The look of the men is a definite interest for me. Im not expecting them too look as individual as they actually are on Ops, often no jacket is worn under the Body Armour for example, just a tee shirt. However I would expect them to look representative of a Brit soldier, hopefully with PRR etc.

We shall see soon I suppose.

come on!!! they must be able to put a bit of individuality in it, for example the gpmg gunners only wear a daysack (backpack) cause theres not need to carry 55.6 ammo pouches, and minimi gunners combat webbing being different from a riflemans webbing. Surely that would not take too long.

Now i mentioned the minimi, i hope they realise us brits use the para version and not the longer barreled yank version

come on!!! they must be able to put a bit of individuality in it, for example the gpmg gunners only wear a daysack (backpack) cause theres not need to carry 55.6 ammo pouches, and minimi gunners combat webbing being different from a riflemans webbing. Surely that would not take too long.

Now i mentioned the minimi, i hope they realise us brits use the para version and not the longer barreled yank version

Yeah. I am hoping they realize us yanks use the short barrel and collapsing butt stock and not the silly long yank barrel (unless the M249 is mounted in a turret on an M1114 or M1151). Silly yankees...

Unfortunately, due to various issues on our end the Brits will be like the Marines and the US Army soldier models. That is, one model with one bunch of kit. In theory the engine can support a wide range of models, but we ran into practical problems with the vast quantity of animations needed for them. We are looking into how to make variations more practical for the Normandy version.

Steve

It would be great if CMx2 manages to handle more variations in 3d models, like height and build for instance. Also, it would be nice to see multiple skins featured in Normandy with a variety of german camo uniforms for instance.

Im sure thatthere will be that variety of german Camo. CMBO had it, especially when guys modded it. Im not too bothered about height and build, that doesnt add to a wargame for me. CM Normandy should be about the US Vs the Germans for about 90 days, the same time period we have in SF now. For the vast majority of that time the US faced the German Army and Fallshirmaeger, so we should see German Paras and whatever Army uniforms they used then. Im not exactly shure that the German Army went totally for Camo rather than variations on Grey, remain to be corrected though. Certainly for the latter period of the Normandy battle the US would have faced some SS units and so we should see some SS camo patters there.

Again the modders out there and scenario designers can take us to other fronts and other battles which would very much involve different camos.

Oh, there's no problem with having different textures based on unit type. That's pretty much a freebie from a code standpoint. The problems are with the models themselves, not how they are colored (or coloured :)). The cost to us to have different models is also OK provided that the one model is more or less generic for a particular force type. Where we run into problems is having various mixes of kit on the models. To put it into Normandy terms...

Primary model

German Soldier with M43 uniform and standard rifleman's kit

Primary texture variant

German Soldier with M43 based camouflage ("dot" or "Peas-44" are common names) and standard rifleman's kit

Secondary model

German "panzer wrap" uniform for tanks (black)

Secondary texture variant

German "panzer wrap" uniform for other armored fighting vehicles and limited other uses (field gray)

So on and so forth are easy to do. Obviously we're interested in limiting the number of models, but as long a they used generally we don't have a problem with having a bunch. Same with texture variations.

Where we get into problems, with animations, is the following:

Primary model, rifleman

Primary model, NCO

German Soldier with M43 uniform and SMG kit

Primary model, sniper

German Soldier with M43 uniform and G43 kit

Etc.

This is the same way the game works now. We wish to change it, but the problem is that changing the kit means we have to come up with a couple hundred animations which are specific to that kit. That's so the kit knows how to move along with the body. Very time consuming work, unfortunately. We have ideas on how to simplify the process, but we haven't had the time to implement it. It's on the list of possible things to do for Normandy, though it isn't that high up a priority.

Steve

Oh, there's no problem with having different textures based on unit type. That's pretty much a freebie from a code standpoint. The problems are with the models themselves, not how they are colored (or coloured :)). The cost to us to have different models is also OK provided that the one model is more or less generic for a particular force type. Where we run into problems is having various mixes of kit on the models. To put it into Normandy terms...

Primary model

Primary texture variant

German Soldier with M43 based camouflage ("dot" or "Peas-44" are common names) and standard rifleman's kit

Secondary model

German "panzer wrap" uniform for tanks (black)

Secondary texture variant

German "panzer wrap" uniform for other armored fighting vehicles and limited other uses (field gray)

So on and so forth are easy to do. Obviously we're interested in limiting the number of models, but as long a they used generally we don't have a problem with having a bunch. Same with texture variations.

Where we get into problems, with animations, is the following:

Primary model, rifleman

Primary model, NCO

German Soldier with M43 uniform and SMG kit

Primary model, sniper

German Soldier with M43 uniform and G43 kit

Etc.

This is the same way the game works now. We wish to change it, but the problem is that changing the kit means we have to come up with a couple hundred animations which are specific to that kit. That's so the kit knows how to move along with the body. Very time consuming work, unfortunately. We have ideas on how to simplify the process, but we haven't had the time to implement it. It's on the list of possible things to do for Normandy, though it isn't that high up a priority.

Steve

I honestly wouldnt want it as any kind of priority. The look simply does not affect the gameplay, so what if a German NCO looks like a German Rifleman, I can imagine hes called Franz Lutz and comes from Magdeberg and is carrying photos of his kids all in my head. Much better to concentrate on the aspects of battle than mere asthetics. Im all for good graphics but not at any cost.

I honestly wouldnt want it as any kind of priority. The look simply does not affect the gameplay, so what if a German NCO looks like a German Rifleman, I can imagine hes called Franz Lutz and comes from Magdeberg and is carrying photos of his kids all in my head. Much better to concentrate on the aspects of battle than mere asthetics. Im all for good graphics but not at any cost.

Sure, graphics do not affect the gameplay but they do affect the experience. The example you quoted is a good one, because there the graphical inconsistency is actually somewhat annoying and easy to spot: the figure has an MP 40 in his hands and webbing for Kar 98, with rifle magazine pouches instead of characteristic long magazine pouches for the SMG. I would urge Battlefront to avoid this if they can for PR reasons, as it can be easily picked up even by 10 year old "amateur historians" and end up as a negative point in many reviews and user opinions. Besides, it somewhat undermines the attractiveness of 1:1 representation, if accuracy of representation of individual figures has to be sacrificed.

Last but not least, if the game can show the wonderful variety of uniforms of WWII it would be its very strong selling point, so why lose that?

Summing up, I think that Battlefront should, if possible, try to have several soldier models based on material differences between headgear, uniform and kit (e.g. German infantry: guy in officers cap and webbing, guy with rifle, guy in field cap, guy with MP 40, heavy weapons crew, guy in camo jacket, guy in long garment<coat or rolled up zeltbahn>). Letting that drop to the bottom of priorities would be in my opinion a mistake.

All the best,

Zwolo