British Module

Dakuman

And it looks like onboard mortars will be included too since the L9A1 (51mm Mortar) is listed under small arms and weapons rather than artillery support.

I doubt this, but I hope so. Note that the US has 60mm mortars in the game right now, and they don't appear on-map.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I find a little disconcerting about artillery and mortars always being presented as off-board items is the inevitable conclusion that they can never be involved in direct combat situations.

I just finished reading a couple of great books about Dien Bien Phu. Small batteries of artillery all the way and up to 105 mm (not to mention mortars) were in gun pits right in the midst of the individual strongpoints. Although they probably wished they were, they weren't anywhere outside the threatened area.

I don't know, perhaps this was not a real issue in WWII, but I bet it wasn't always true in all cases throughout the war.

I doubt this, but I hope so. Note that the US has 60mm mortars in the game right now, and they don't appear on-map.

The British 51mm mortar is used quite differently to the US 60mm mortar, so a model that works for one may not be appropriate for the other.

New equipment here simply means a new skin. Ive not read anything here from anyone that says the contrary.

Just so. Under the skin, all tanks in CMSF are exactly the same. This is why in the game T-55 = T-52 = T-72 = T-90 = M1(all variants).

It also explains why, in game, BMP-1 = BTR = BMP-2 = BMP-3 = LAV = Stryker = AAV = Bradley

It's all the same vehicle, just with different skins.

Oh, wait ...

The British 51mm mortar is used quite differently to the US 60mm mortar, so a model that works for one may not be appropriate for the other

Probably a tad unfair to quote Normal Dude there as he's the skeptic and I'm the dreamer. Not being a weapons techie, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that they're used differently. Are you talking about doctrine?

. Are you talking about doctrine?

If im not totally wrong the british 51mm mortar are a platoon asset while the US 60mm is a company asset. so it would be weird to call down british 51mm mortar as a normal mortar barrage as they normally hump around with the platoon.

I for sure want to see the 51mm ingame as it would feel odd if it was handled as a normal arty asset.

/Chainsaw

Just so. Under the skin, all tanks in CMSF are exactly the same. This is why in the game T-55 = T-52 = T-72 = T-90 = M1(all variants).

It also explains why, in game, BMP-1 = BTR = BMP-2 = BMP-3 = LAV = Stryker = AAV = Bradley

It's all the same vehicle, just with different skins.

Oh, wait ...

Ah, John I think you know what I mean. I was mainly referring to the infantry though.

Are you contradicting the statement that the Brit infantry will be exactly the same as the US ones?

Thanks for the correction though about the vehicles.

Ah, John I think you know what I mean. I was mainly referring to the infantry though.

Are you contradicting the statement that the Brit infantry will be exactly the same as the US ones?

Thanks for the correction though about the vehicles.

Although some people have mentioned that the British use their weapons in a more accurate way than the US soldiers do, I´m not so sure in practice that is the case. If videos, documentaries, YouTube and books are to be trusted (and why would they not be?)than I´d say they behave pretty much the same.

I just watched the Ross Kemp video again yesterday and I don´t see that marksmanship thing in there. Apart from the snipers of course.

But I have no doubt the SA80 will have a different performance compared to the M4.

I shall be most interested to see how (if) a Challenger tank has any difference that is noticable as compared to an M1A1 or A2 other than in loods. Their HE rounds are different, I believe. For the US they could add the canister shot for the tanks (I forget what it's called).

The British 51mm mortar is used quite differently to the US 60mm mortar, so a model that works for one may not be appropriate for the other

Probably a tad unfair to quote Normal Dude there as he's the skeptic and I'm the dreamer. Not being a weapons techie, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that they're used differently. Are you talking about doctrine?

The 51mm has no bipod and has a relatively short range - it is due to come out of service and is in the process of being replaced by the 60mm mortar which as a bipod (although can be used without) and a longer range. One of the reasons it is a popular weapon is that it is reportedly quite effective in knocking compound walls down in the 'Stan in a sort of direct fire role. That said - the 60mm mortar that has been purchased as a UOR also has the capability of being fired without the benefit of a tripod.

I've only started looking into modern Brit myself in anticipation of the module, it seems they're going to be a VERY different creature from the U.S. Army and Marine forces. From how it sounds 51mm mortar may be more tactically equivalent to U.S. 40mm grenade launchers than to U.S. 60mm mortars. And there's something odd about how they're allotted too, I heard directly under control of the HQ unit(?) which - if true - would give Brit HQ a combat role that it doesn't (shouldn't) enjoy with the Americans.