Eagerly awaiting CMx2 WW2

Wolfgang

Hi all,

I have read alot of past posts on the subject - but like everything, timelines change.

Is there any rough estimate on when we can see this first WW2 title coming out...

Better yet - just a few rough as nuts prelim screens to put us at ease that it is in fact at an advanced stage...

All in all I have to say that Battlefront are amazing - They build the games that once apon a time I could only dream of... So much so that I am tempted to buy CMSF + Marines, when modern combat has never been by bag...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the same. Kinda looked at it like...well, ok. Seeing it transform and mature means I am now thinking twice about going back to WW2 setting :)

The upside is the less lethal weaponry and more balanced forces. With this engine I think it would be a dream to play so I might just take a peek.

Now I am looking for CMSF:Temperate and associated modules for current CMSF.

Yeah, I have to say that its the high lethality of modern weapons that has I guess been a turn off in the past.

Ahh well, whether it be rockets or 15" naval guns - my units would cop a pasting either way... :D

The better graphics, better AI, 1:1 troop representation and so much more...

Arrrgh!!! I think ill be going back to the days where I rarely left the house on weekends.

I really do think I am going to need glasses after a few months of CMx2 WW2:cool:

Oh yes WW2..its going to be awesome. Given that after a year the game has improved 100% gameplay and performance wise, I expect Normandy to be something really special.

If they deliver what they currently promise, like improved QB system, random map generator (with pre-made tiles) and pausable RT or WEGO for TCP/IP, then we are in for a classic game. I doubt CMx1 would be more challenging if it had the CMSF units anyway. Modern firepower is the biggest minus imo. With Normandy, lenghty, gripping tank duels will be back, infantry will be just infantry, not supermen with scoped rifles and javelins, and the general pace of the game will be just right for an RT stratergy. More interesting terrain suitable for infatry action and picturesque french villages. Also, modding glory with ambush camos, tricolor, bicolor etc ect will be back. With Abrams you can only mod the name on the gun ;) (Can we have multiple skins for Normandy vehicles pleeeeeease!)

my fear is that the ww2 title will come after the British module.

btw,why does Battlefront have to make 2 modern modules ,making it 3 with the first title, while the ww2 addicted cannot enjoy ONE single title with the new engine?

Well, for starters, BF have stated that development on both modules for CMSF and the CMWW2 game are going on in parallel now, so modules will not strongly affect CMWW2. In addition, just because some people are waiting for WW2 and are not playing the modern game, doesn't mean that people who bought and are playing modern should be left without at least two modules, and maybe (hopefully!) even a third (Germans/Canadians). BF need to support themselves, and my reckoning is that modules give them a higher return for their work. I, for one, and I'm totally not alone in this, am happy to buy all the modules for CMSF and am happy to support BF.

On another note, there are many people here who swore oaths to the fact that they would never like modern combat and have changed their mind, how about giving it a try, eh? You get really detailed units, a very flexible editor, much higher fidelity, realistic infantry (way better than CMx1) and, best of all, with the awesome Marines under your command, you really get to GET SOME!!! so, why wait?

Cheers

my fear is that the ww2 title will come after the British module.

btw,why does Battlefront have to make 2 modern modules ,making it 3 with the first title, while the ww2 addicted cannot enjoy ONE single title with the new engine?

Oh me, me I know this one!

Easy answer: doing a new module is primarily creating data files, models, artwork, and so on, with (in an ideal world) only a little but of coding for special cases thrown up by new units - plus the usual bug fixes. Producing the WWII game on the other hand requires great deal of coding. ISTR Steve saying that Charles had pretty much started working entirely on the code for WWII some months ago because he just wasn't needed for anything in the modules.

Meanwhile the artists, model makers, sound bunnies have been working on the Brit module for a while, and at the same time the testers and scenario designers have been playing around with the Marines module getting it ready for release.

So I think you'll find that once CM:SF was got into a decent state, the first stirrings of work on CM:Normandy began, and there simply isn't any way of getting it out the door sooner than it is going to be: it takes as long as it takes for it to be coded and tested. Meanwhile other people can work on producing the content of the modules without slowing down the production of CM:Normandy at all because it is different work being done by different people.

You don't get a choice between Brit module in 6 months, CM:Normandy in 12 months vs CM:Normandy in 6 months and the CMSF:Brits in 12 months (I'm totally making these numbers up BTW). It is rather a choice between Brits in 6 month, Normandy in 12 vs Normandy in 12 (maybe 11), Brits in 18 (plus lots of artists sitting on their hands with nothing to do waiting for code to be finalised :D).

Premature release of CM WW2 would mean CMSF gradually dying out like CMBO with CMBB. It will be a new game with lots of cool new features not included in the current title. Who would want to go back to dusty, waterless, assymetrical Syria? I'm ok with waiting for the british module even the german one perhaps, if this means they'll get WW2 close to perfection.

FULDA GAP

FULDA GAP

I know BF said they were not going to go that way, but the lack of parity between the forces is what keeps me from calling this game as one of favorites (CMBB and CMBO are #1 and #2 all time for me!).

I have not purchased the Marine module yet (will be doing so- probably today depends on work schedule and if I will be able to play today), so I cant speak to the parity with the addition of the t90 and bmp3.

At the moment I would rather see the WW2 title, but if BF said they were doing a Russian/former Warsaw Pct country module v NATO (in modern times- dont need to go back to the M1/M60 v T80) I think my excitement could be swayed.

FULDA GAP

FULDA GAP

At the moment I would rather see the WW2 title, but if BF said they were doing a Russian/former Warsaw Pct country module v NATO (in modern times- dont need to go back to the M1/M60 v T80) I think my excitement could be swayed.

Actually Battlefront did say that. CMSF II.

awesome...they had initially said no

so much info on these boards (good and extraneous) that its easy to miss something important

Yep, no 1980's so it won't be Fulda Gap exactly but we will have NATO vs Russia with probably the Chinese as a module all set in a temperate landscape.

How about a WW2 "module"? ;D

Battlefront has confirmed at lease two entire WWII games. The first will be France Summer of '44. Some people are calling it Normandy, but the scope will be wider than that actually.

You'll have the U.S. vs Germans in the initial release and Commonwealth forces and more German stuff in the first module and even more stuff for everybody in the second module.

The second WWII game confirmed is East Front Summer '44 Operation Bagration.

I keep hoping that the next CMSF module (Brits, then Germans/etc) will add an entirely different Red force. The Syrian invasion scenario is good for a start, but I don't think there's any way for future modules to make the Syrians any more interesting than they already are. This makes each module kind of lopsided as new Blue equipment comes along to fight the same old Red force. Obviously the WW2 era won't suffer from this imbalance.

Given the Red equipment already laid down in CMSF + Marines, it seems that bringing 21st-century Russians into the fight would be less work that bringing Brits or Germans into it. What major Russian equipment is still missing?

T-80s? Shilkas in direct-fire role? I don't think we need fancy hovercraft, for instance. Of course the infantry TO&E is different, but the small arms are already in.