Geforce 6100 advice

There appears to be a series of both Nvidia and ATI chipsets out there that operate by sharing the main RAM. Is that correct?

The description I have is:

Chipset nVidia nForce 4 C51G

Graphics Processor/Memory: nVidia GeForce 6100 / Up to 128 Mo

If so, how do these chipsets perform with CMx1, how are they likely to perform with CMx2, and how do they perform with e.g. Il-2?

Also, in a computer so equipped, would it be possible to install a proper graphics card at a later stage?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

All the best

Andreas

It certain doesn't have PCI-X, if anything PCIe. I don't see any indication on that page that it does, though.

It has 4 RAM slots so it must be semi-decent but I advice caution.

And although it has DVI it might not be able to output more than 1600x1200 on the DVI, only on the VGA.

The shared memory basically means that you are limited at high resolutions and that you won't be able to use high, if any, AA/AF settings, because those filters swipe over the video memory multiple times extra per frame.

%%

A video card with a fast processor and slow RAM is generally good to play halfway new games at low quality settings.

For CM you want the opposite, you want high quality for an old game.

A different webpage says it has PCI Express x16 x 1 + PCI x 3.

It is highly questionable whether the power supply and the heat management allow you to add a decent card, though.

I would take the same money to build something on my own, reuse whatever old Windows I have (a majority of that sales prices for such a low end machine goes into the Windoze license, and you have a right to re-use previous licenses) but use a nice well-ventilated case, a good PSU and a quiet CPU fan.

I'd like that. The problem with that solution for me though is that I have never done something like that, and would not have the first clue if the seller of an item (who would speak a language I am not entirely comfortable in) is fleecing me. I also don't have an old copy of windows, so would have to buy that in any case.

A high-end machine from the shop is not in the budget, and once I start spending real money, I'd get an iMac.

Other than that it's a much better idea. smile.gif

All the best

Andreas

It looks like this does have the capacity to use a PCI Express x16 videocard as an upgrade. The power supply is only 300W, so that may cut back on how much of a video upgrade could be done without upgrading the power supply at the same time.

The GeForce 6100 would probably do fine with CMx1. It will probably slow down a bit with the larger maps, but it should be playable. I'm not so sure about IL-2's playability. Possibly a few planes and details, but probably not many (so some online battles or lots of 'bots may be a bit too much).

For CMx2 you'd probably want to upgrade to a full PCI Express card, which you probably could get for a little less than £100. Cards such as the 7300GT or better yet a 7600GS could be had for definitely under that price with VAT. The 7600GT is a bit over £100 with VAT though (and it would be quite a bit nicer).

Otherwise the system seems to be a decent deal for those who wouldn't want to build their own. The integrated video does a pretty decent job, but it will typically falter with higher quality rendering/shading effects that are becoming much more common today (and CMx2 should use a few of these).

Finally found something that I think is better in terms of price and video performance, at a place selling end of the line models.

HP Pavilion m7329.fr

Processor: Athlon 64 3400+

Memory : 512 Mo

HDD: 200 GB 7,200 RPM

Drives : DVD+RW DL

Video: PCI-x 16 NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache (256Mo dedicated)

Extra: TV Tuner (analogue and Digital)

Just another memory stick, and it would be alright, I guess. Cost is €439, comes with manufacturer's warranty.

All the best

Andreas

The 6200SE TurboCache cards are probably a little faster than the 6100/6150 integrated video since they have some dedicated memory. However it actually has 64Mb of dedicated video memory according to these HP specs on the Pavilion 7329.fr with access up to 256Mb of system memory via the PCI Express interface for its "turbo cache" feature.

Customer comments I've seen on Newegg's site suggest that this card can play Half-Life 2, Call of Duty 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, etc. on low-to-mid quality settings (for around 30 fps). Even Battlefield 2 with low-to-medium settings has worked for one person (and this may be a good example of the horse-power necessary for CMx2, though that should still be a bit different).

No, I like the Acer better.

No ATI chipset (sorry I don't trust ATI) and Acer certainly has the better quality record than HP. You have a better chance to find a decent power supply in the Acer. Also, the Acer documented that it has 4 RAM slots, that's an advantage in itself when you want to upgrade, but more importantly the presense of 4 RAM slots means it is not a toy motherboard.

The HP has a much better chance to have custom parts that don't play well with exchanges.

You see an Athlon 64 3400+ is still one of the fastest single-core CPUs ever built, in particular if it is one of the 2.4 GHz variants. You can probably overclock it if that is your thing (new PSU required).

Given that you have such a fast CPU and that games, wargames in particular, won't do too much with multithreading in the near future that is very future-proof it is entirely realistic that you stuff in a high-end NVidia 8800 or whatever in 2 years, requiring only a new PSU.

If the whole thing is a junk computer where e.g. you can't put in a new PSU and/or have half-height graphics cards then you can't. And you want the 4 RAM slots.

Unfortunately that Mac has copped it due to powercuts, and I am awaiting the verdict of my captice Mac techy as to whether it is just the power supply (toss-up on whether to repair it or not) or also the motherboard (total write off) that got fried. Used G4s of that type still sell for about Euro 200, and I find it hard to justify that expense, when compared to a brandnew PC - Euro 700 including an LG 19" screen, which would be bigger than the one I currently have.

Thanks again Schrulli and Redwolf!

Such is life.

All the best

Andreas

Actually if you value your computer a UPS is a valuable investment. When city power goes up and down you can cause down and up alternating within a few seconds. That causes harddrives to not completely spin down before they go back up and vice versa.

Of course, a bad UPS is worse than city power...

Turns out it was false alarm. Yesterday I tried to start the G4 in the forlorn hope that maybe something would happen. It did - the light on the on/off button came on, but nothing more. So I pressed the reset-button. I got treated to a look at the firmware interface (never had that happen before) inviting me to type mac-boot to start or shutdown to, well, shut down. So I typed mac-boot, and it booted up fine in OS9 (which was the last selected start-up disk). Then I switched the start-up disk to OSX, and ordered a restart. Nothing happened - so I press reset again. It starts up normally. Once the date and time are corrected, everything is back to normal.

Weird, but there we are. Thanks again for all the tips! When the time comes to replace the G4 (hopefully not for a while yet), this thread and what I learned looking into the matter will come in handy.

BTW - any recommendations for a good yet affordable UPS?

All the best

Andreas

The only thing I don't like

about preparatory PC's that usually

the Mobo hampers the rest of the

system.

AMD64 3400 is good-can you upgrade to

a AMD64X2 Dual core later-if it's socket

939-also on the Vid-you can get a EVGA

7800GT OC for about the same as that

6200 at NewEgg.com-need a better power

suppy at least 450PSU to power that