People, I need your opinion...

Earl Grey

Can't say I'm a likely user, but it looks good to me. I recall pics of Panzer Grey AK vehicles with various home-brewed desert camo schemes. I like the aestethics of the brown patches (i.e. shape and proportional size). Is it supposed to be mud smeared on the vehicle or paint? If the former then pay attention to areas where it would quickly rub off (where people grab/step e.c.t.). Anyhew, I like how you can spot the grey paint through the brown. Looks good to me :)

It's supposed to be RAL8000 "Gelbbraun" on top of RAL7021 "Dunkelgrau"/"Panzergrau" on a vehicle seen in Libya, March 1941. Standing orders (HM 1941, Nr. 281) stated that Panzergrau vehicles deployed to Africa were to be repainted with RAL8000 as new base color and disruptive patches of RAL7008 "Graugrün" on top. Given the fact that RAL7008 is, in fact, pretty dark and possible shortages of paint it is reasonable to assume that only one color was used and the patches left in RAL7021.

Do you know if RAL colours have changed since 1941, because the RAL colour card I have have rather different names. RAL8000 is "Grünbraun" (green-brown), RAL7021 is "Schwartzgrau" (black-grey), and RAL7008 is "Khakigrau".

Anyway, I think your vehicle looks very neat and authentic. And with shortages of paint the thin layer (with the grey showing through the tan patches) is a nice touch.

Nope, colors haven't changed as far as I know, but designations obviously are different. Now I'd like to know what kind of RAL card you have - it isn't an original, is it? There are tow or three good books out there covering the topic and the correct designations, but I still have to aquire both.

Nope, colors haven't changed as far as I know, but designations obviously are different. Now I'd like to know what kind of RAL card you have - it isn't an original, is it? There are tow or three good books out there covering the topic and the correct designations, but I still have to aquire both.

It's a fairly new one from a paint company called Zweihorn (I work in paint retail). It's one of those (rather expensive) fan cards, apparently based on "RAL-Register 841-GL".

I wonder because the RAL7021 is extremely dark grey, almost black. And 7008 and 8000 are very similar to each other, what I would call a "greenish dirt brown"; not very yellow and more akin to the "brown" colour sometimes applied in camo patterns on British tanks.

Ah, that you mean. Well, current RAL colors are different from the RAl colors used in the war. Probably not too much, but still different.

I have based my mod on these colors: TigerColors.jpg - I would agree that RAL7021 is actually pretty dark, but when I compare photographs of vehicles, the lightness varies from a very dark grey like the above to a rather light grey like the one I used. Not sure why most vehicles don't look that dark, but I like a lighter grey, actually.

If everything fails, we can still assume that, becasue of the fact the vehicle serves in Africa, the grey has faded somewhat. ;)

Though I wonder how they did that - and "other people" (like Jentz&Doyle) claiming that there is NO original color left on ANY item of the war (at least not in unchanged state), I'm not sure I can lay my hands on any of theses issues. Especially not in Germany. ;)

But I admit for me modding is not just putting some colors on a vehicle but in fact moe some kind of 'historical modelling' - so I usually spend some time researching production variants, colors, employment etc. So forgive me if I do explain a little bit too much sometimes.

I think you're right that the RAL colours may have changed. Some of those numbers don't show up on any of my RAL lists at all. I just can't get the extremely dark (at least as dark as a rubber tyre) RAL7021 to fit my understanding of the usual "Panzer Grey".

Anyway, as noted earlier, in my non-expert opinion, your paint scheme looks spot on.

Paint back then did not match the paint specs of today. When reading about WW2 US Army vehicle paint, the article stated that it only lasted about 1.5 years before it needed repainting due to fading, chipping, etc. I suspect that the German paint was the same and it faded to a lighter grey after being in the field for any length of time.

Earl Grey,

I take your point. This might help, but I'd have someone you know outside of Germany go through it first in case something appears that's verboten. Isn't the Balkan Kreuz in a different category, though, than the swastika?

Review

http://www.auradesign.eu/rev2.htm

Testor's also has a set of Model Master German WW II AFV paints, and I think there's a color chart available.

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks for the link, that is exactly what I was planning on acquiring next!

And the swastika (or SS runes and all that stuff) are indeed forbidden and illegal, but only if displayed in public and/or with the intention of glorifying the associated organisations/persons. there are some symbols, though, that are even forbidden when clearly NOT associated with any illegal actions or organisations, like the celtic cross. But that just as a side note. ;)