Added a faded bases mod to CMMODs

Mord

for anyone who may have missed it when I posted it on the forum.

Not quite as good as having a key function to turn the bases off but much less of an assault on the immersion level.

mordsbaseswt2.jpg

Mord.

P.S. I Will need to update it when the Marines/1.10 come out with the brown base.

Thanks brotha.

If you mean by a while ago, the first one I posted on the forum?...This one may be better. I lost the original and redid it. I think this one is even lighter.

I screwed around for a while but unfortunately could not find any color that would come up invisible like the pink we had in CMX1. I even tried shrinking the bmp to a dot but it will stretch the bmp to the original 256X256 no matter how small.

Hopefully we'll get a bases off command at some point.

Mord.

That's an great idea man. I just spent an hour or so screwing around with it but unfortunately I don't really know anything about editing Alpha Channels. I am using Adobe Elements 2.0 and I don't know if it can handle doing them. I followed what little instructions I could find, didn't really understand them, and in the end, no matter what I came up with, when I saved to BMP I'd end up with a white base in game even if the background was in RGB.

I'd really like to crack it if it can be done but I just don't have the knowledge to go any further...if I even can with my version of Photoshop.

If you know how, please give it a try. Lots of people would be pleased! If it can be done then you might also be able to make the ring people were requesting.

Mord.

OK have uploaded "rings.zip" at CMMods, see how you go.

Nice call on the rings mate.

I subdued the overall saturation of them akin to yours Mord [did credit you with that at CMMods], made them into rings and shrunk them a bit too as you suggested.

yep, was an alpha channel in there and they need saving as 32 bit for it to recognise the alpha otherwise as you noted it comes out as a square instead.

Basically an alpha channel is a greyscale channel in addition to the usual red/green/blue channels in an image. Whatever is black makes the rgb channels transparent, whatever is white makes it solid, grey makes it somewhere in between. So this alpha is just a soft white ring on black.

here's a couple of screenshots save folks downloading to see what they do

ring1.jpg

ring2.jpg

OK have uploaded "rings.zip" at CMMods, see how you go.

Nice call on the rings mate.

I subdued the overall saturation of them akin to yours Mord [did credit you with that at CMMods], made them into rings and shrunk them a bit too as you suggested.

yep, was an alpha channel in there and they need saving as 32 bit for it to recognise the alpha otherwise as you noted it comes out as a square instead.

Basically an alpha channel is a greyscale channel in addition to the usual red/green/blue channels in an image. Whatever is black makes the rgb channels transparent, whatever is white makes it solid, grey makes it somewhere in between. So this alpha is just a soft white ring on black.

You are a genius! Lots of people are gonna love it. I can't remember who it was but someone had requested it (and was backed up by other posts) a few months back. I am gonna see if I can find the thread and bump it.

So is it possible to completely blank out the bases using this method?

Anyway, really good job!

Mord.

Thanks for the positives guys, Stickypixie, Pete, Wafleman, Mord; really appreciate that. Yes hahaha, laughed at voice of the Mysterons :) I was thinking maybe if we made it a dashed or dotted line? And it might get away from the whole captain Scarlet thing then too.

Mord, definitley mate, if the alpha channel is set to full black they'll be invisible.

Wafleman - the texture for the us troops is an early one I made when first trying mods. Added a light fabric-weave kind of texture effect to the base uniform and a faded DP over the pixel-pattern.I doubt there's any kind of historical accuracy in it but if you want them I'm happy to upload no worries.

Zatoichi, no worries at all mate and thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Be a bit of a delay till I've got my copy of Marines but will put it on top of the list as oon as I've got it. Alternatively if you want to put the original bmp files on a fileshare I can d/l and mod them and stick them back up at cmmods no worries.

tried the faded bases mod, looks very nice in daytime with the dark green, but at nightime, the bases show up as a light gray, anyone working on this?

the rings mod also looks very nice.

I don't have the Marines module yet...probably won't for a while, but it sounds like many of my mods may need to be tweaked as some of the files have been changed/renamed and such...so anyone using them may want to beware if you have the Marines.

As of now The US Chatter Mod, the faded bases mod, and possibly the Death Knells (at least the background part) mod will not work with the module.

Mord.