Byte Battles are back!

OY!!!

Here we spend time and... er... well just time actually... to inform you of the hugely cool new addition to the Byte Battler website and what happens?

We get railroaded by some silly T-90 nonsense and instantly pushed back to page two.

Well, we're not the sort to give in to subtle hints.

BUMP!!!!!!

Oh, and there will be T-90s aplenty in the coming Byte Battles, so there.

-Derfel

Actually there is a discussion on these very questions going on at the site. At the moment it's leaning toward having a few separate types of BBs, 2player only, single player only and perhaps single player blue/red only.

We gladly accept contributions for any and all types.

The criteria are difficult, as you say it's a tug of war between the desire not to drown the players in info (few units, small map etc) and the fact that modern weapons are so much more efficient at long distances the the WWII ones.

Paradoxically it seems that the single player maps can be larger and contain more units as there is the turn based option there. (Sadly missed from the 2 player modes of play)

We're groping towards some sort of general recommendation, but we're not quite there yet, drop by the page for the latest thoughts and scenarios.

CMMODs has QBG's 2 Player scen (titles are "2P QBG.zip" and QBG 2 Player scenario Vol 2") designed for PBEM or H2H but also playable as single player. They are Blue vs Red but also have some Red vs Red, Blue vs Blue. The idea was to balance play so both sides have an equal chance. I have forgotten the exact number but most likely 30 or more scen between them. Mishga and I put them together. Why don't you add them on your site as well? Just give credit to QBG (Quick Battle Group)

Hiya, Meat! (A phrase I use too often, I just realized)

Well, I can only tell you that playing CMSF Byte Battles revived CMSF for me and my buddies. In small battles you can (most of the time) tell what's going on and even on occasion influence it. ;-)

In addition the possibilities that opens up with asymetric missions are huge in terms of BBs, we haven't really began to explore this yet, but look for missions to eliminate a particular enemy leader, protect a civilian convoy or sabotage an enemy installation.

Or we can just blow up lots of T-90's. ;-)

That's one of the beauties of this new engine, you can play much smaller scenarios (and I mean small) and get a real sense of tactical drama. The 1:1 really adds to the atmosphere. I tried to play small, like a couple squads, type scenarios in CMX1, and it just wasn't nearly as fun, the Larry, Moe and Curly graphics just didn't cut it.

Mord.

• 1 month later...

Wow great site, I can't wait until it really gets rolling. I have been experimenting with this idea before ever of hearing of byte battles (yesterday), I have been taking QB maps and giving them simple orders and equal forces on both sides and using them for PBEM games. Of course I am using much larger maps, but I would love to design a few for your site. Great work. Will be in touch with a map or two in the future. Thanks for what you do!

Thanks for the encuragement guys!

New scenario up today: Byte Armor. (Might still be a little rough around the edges, we've only tested it a couple of times)

Yeah, PBEM apperently does have a version of WeGo but since our group is consisting of impatient types that would rather pull teeth than wait for pbem files we've chosen to give it amiss. The 2 player byte battles should work fine though.

And yes, I have updated the intro and my general comments to reflect my views on 1.10.

Leon - We haven't experienced that particular bug, but it seems like something to put up in the tech forum.

"That's one of the beauties of this new engine, you can play much smaller scenarios (and I mean small) and get a real sense of tactical drama.

Well said Mord. BTW: Thanks for all your great Mods.

BYTES are great for time limited CMSF folks. Just grabbed Byte Armor for tomorrow.

Thank you Derfel.

CogNative

Quick update;

New Byte Battle completed and ready for dl, our first with A.I instructions for both sides. I would be very grateful for any and all comments on this one as we're still feeling our way with the A.I thingy.

The Battle is called "Byte Orchard" and is a Syrian Airborne vs U.S Marines clash in a rural valley.