All of their secrets revealed!

Look at their announcement at the top. They've posted a a thoroughly revised game manual which even includes the upcoming v1.10 patch changes! No more need for speculating about the patch anymore! I'm VERY surprised to see this up now. Looks like the patch and the module really are just around the corner!

Lurker, you get your manual as PDF when you purchase the game. It's on CD.

The online manual is a means for us to make it available online to future customers who want to learn more about the game they are considering buying, as well as to be able to have an updated manual for existing customers to refer to. We do not have PDFs available for download (never have and don't plan to).

The manual I got on the CD is the old 1.01 one. It would be nice to have the current one so that I could do searches in it if I have a question about the rules/equipment/etc.

How do I get a current PDF of the rules for the game I pre-ordered and that has changed over time? One of the things I liked about CMSF was that all future changes were going to be incorporated into the game engine for people who bought the original game and it would be nice to be able to see what those changes are in a PDF that I can search through.

Are you saying that you plan on never letting the older customers have a new copy of the rules? From what I recall you cannot purchase a hard copy version of the manual and you now cannot download a PDF copy either?

Can I do a search in the online manual if I am looking for a specific word/term?

Alright...it appears that I am out of luck for getting a current copy of the rules for the game that has been massively patched without spending more money.

Can I do a search in the online manual if I am looking for a specific word/term? I don't see that functionality supported on the web page. That was my most used function when looking through the PDF of the rules whenever I had a question about something.

But can units spot enemies faster if they hear them (sound contact), but haven't seen them yet? Engine sounds, using weapons etc.

Didn't see anything about that.

BTW, Moon page 147 is missing. It's a duplicate of 146.

Mord.

LOL what part of there will be one with the PATCH didn't you get? Relax, when the patch comes out you'll get a new manual without having to spend anything.

Mord.

That's great then. When I read Moon's reply I was under the impression that you had to get the Marine's module. If I can download the PDF with the patch for the base CMSF then I am a happy camper.

Hah! I knew all of BF.C's whining, "we only have one programmer", or "the change you want is too hard" was all a load of bull. It seems, after having read the new manual, that the only thing that was needed to fix a lot of the issues was to print the fix in YELLOW. C'mon: how hard was it to figure out the right color?

:)

Thanks,

Ken

That's great then. When I read Moon's reply I was under the impression that you had to get the Marine's module. If I can download the PDF with the patch for the base CMSF then I am a happy camper.

LOL Sorry I didn't mean that to come off as sharp sounding as it did. But anyways, yep we'll get a lot of the updates without having to buy the Marines plus an updated PDF. Good stuff. I'll be buying the Marines though.

Mord.

Lurker765,

I'm sorry to sound a little bit unsympathetic here but at the end of the day there are enough things being provided online to support this game for free. I bought the original non-deluxe version and I have a manual that is decryed by many for being out of date. Well so what ... I'm over it. At the end of the day the things I most look up now relate to creating maps and scenarios etc rather than gameplay stuff. Guess what - if I didn't have it - I'd use the online resource and know roughly where to look for it.

So just to humour me - what rules (because there are none in the manual) do you want to look up? The equipment I can understand but as you have the PDF do you think that the new one is going to suddenly put the new equipment in a different section? Or - given that the Marines Module equipment additions have been known for so long could you not have googled 'BMP-3' and saved the results somewhere that you can quickly look up?

By all means knock these guys when things are wrong but quite frankly you are whingeing for whingeing's sake.

I only posted in this thread so that I could download the PDF and read it at my leisure at lunch (no wireless in the restaurant). During the day I get chunks of five minute periods free so that I can check this board, but never long enough to actually read through a manual in one pass.

Anyway, as long as it eventually finds its way to my hard drive via the patch I am happy.

Yeah but you've got one already - I have a paper manual that's out of date - but the stuff I look up is stuff I look up when I'm designing stuff (badly I hasten to add). Its not a scenario I see you having over lunch because you can't fire up a map in 5 minutes, grab a bite to eat and think ... how do I change wall textures again?

I probably was overly unsympathetic but I hope you can now see where I was coming from - let's face it the basics won't change much I reckon. Mind you - I've been wrong before!

I understand your point, but I can't understand why you are arguing that a manual is:

a) fine even though it was outdated on the day it was printed

B) if somehow needed online access only is good enough

c) no search utility is needed in the 150 page (or so) manual for checking for terms like 'toggle' (can/how do you toggle smoke? unit bases?)

d) the work for the PDF is already finished but BFC withholds it from customers that already bought the game forcing them to visit a website and unable to do a search (as far as I can tell, no one ever answered that question).

Once again, no big deal since it will arrive eventually with the patch as pointed out earlier in the thread. It just boggles my mind that we are arguing that I shouldn't need to have a free PDF (that is already finished) that I can do quick searches in. The bandwidth is even less if I download it once rather than go to the online one and scroll through it every time I need it.

In this case I was looking forward to downloading the PDF and reading through it while I ate lunch. No big deal, but I just can't understand why it isn't available. I guess if BFC doesn't want to host downloads, but only web pages for some reason. Moon's response of saying I can save it one page at a time (with a smiley) just seemed strange.