On going back to CM.

bruce90

I ordered TOW first chance I got.I read everything about it as it was being developed and I thought 'Well,sounds like it might be a bit limited with next to no editors but I can always fall back on CMBB and CMAK.'Now having played nothing but the Demo since it was released while I wait for the DVD,having watched tanks disintegrate after taking hits,artillery crews feverishly loading and fighting their guns all the while mopping their brows and ducking rifle fire,infantrymen running,crawling and reloading their weapons,SP artillery advancing down a hillside their tracks churning up chunks of earth and loads of other little bits of eyecandy that surprise me each time I play,I think it's going to be really difficult to go back to CM as great as those games are.Once the gameplay on TOW comes up to CM standards I think it will be impossible.

Combat Mission is the grandmaster of all wargames. Full kudos to BF for that legacy.

Compared to CM, TOW is the little kid cousin wearing a trendy homeboy outfit. He looks cool, but he cant sing for shi#

Originally posted by franz:

Combat Mission is the grandmaster of all wargames. Full kudos to BF for that legacy.

Compared to CM, TOW is the little kid cousin wearing a trendy homeboy outfit. He looks cool, but he cant sing for shi#

Precisely!

How weird is this........I am an CM old time junky who always thought real time was for click happy kids. But now when I play CM I become impatient and frustrated sometimes because I have to wait the whole minute before altering orders. I know, pretty weird and bordering on heresy.

How weird is this........I am an CM old time junky who always thought real time was for click happy kids. But now when I play CM I become impatient and frustrated sometimes because I have to wait the whole minute before altering orders. I know, pretty weird and bordering on heresy.
I'm glad to here that some old CMers are enjoying ToW!!! I've been playing the CM for 8 years, but I love ToW. It has the potential to be a great game if we build enough of a community to support it.

I find myself playing ToW in a somewhat CM-like manner. I'll pause, give out all my orders, zoom in to an area of interest, and watch the action pan out based on my commands for a minute or so and then repeat the process. If only this game had a rewind/record feature so you could check out the details of all the other area of action. Its really a pity, give how cool the details and animations are that you can only keep an eye on one aspect of the battle at a time. I'll be zooming in on the money shot of a bazooka taking out an armored car, but miss my BAR cutting down the enemy infantry coming down the road.

I've just been checking out the Screenshots post.Some of those shots are so realistic they're almost photographic quality.Graphics wise this game looks better than CM2.A few patches and we won't need a WW II module in that game. :D

Graphics wise this game looks better than CM2.A few patches and we won't need a WW II module in that game.
ToW is a beautiful game for sure.

But there can never be too many serious tactical WW2 simulators to suit my taste :D .

Onward and upward.... bring on CMx2 Eastern Front!!!

Originally posted by bruce90:

I've just been checking out the Screenshots post.Some of those shots are so realistic they're almost photographic quality.Graphics wise this game looks better than CM2.A few patches and we won't need a WW II module in that game. :D

Unless actually editing the map is something of interest to you. Or entering buildings. Or playing a campaign where forces carry over to the next game. That's a lot of stuff for a 'few patches'...

I love CM, and have also been playing it since it's inception.

We have a small league and are still having frequent PBEM battles. CM doesn't have the awe affect on me anymore, but it's such a brilliant engine which I love... and I'm a big fan of the turn-based format... and in ToW, the pause button. (I'd still like to see a rewind feature though for instant replays...just to see how and why one of my platoons are now laying dead)

I'm not sure if I'll be playing ToW in eight years time like I am CM. smile.gif

TOW needs lots of work before it get to CM level. On top of the minor (major?) things like tank AI (no reverse), spotting/suppresion/LOS balance, troop micromanagement due to AI quirkyness etc. you got some major things like smoke and enterable buildings to get done. Hell the whole house to house combat aspect is missing. I loved the demo charge, flamethrower or heavy house busting direct fire arty to clear houses ;) Or the MG setup truck I used to do, a quick truck run with 2 HV MGs to get them setup quickly in heavy houses.. muahahaha.

In a close view individual troop game like TOW you would think that would be priority, it would look so cool. But as it isn't, and how tanks see to rule/spot so easily, it makes it feel more like a tank orientated game like CC3 and on (as 3 was when the tank uber spotting started).

T.

I love both;) CM series remind me of the old times when I was in primary school and used to play wargames with friends. We used plastic models of tanks, trucks, all that stuff, guns, etc, small soldiers. All painted nicely. Used ruler and many various movement charts, dice to determine which part of armor was hit, than if the shell penetrated the armor, and what was the effect. This tank could make such and such number of km/h, paratroopers had some bonusses in hand to hand combat, etc,and so on. These were wonderful days and I miss it alot, but CM is closest to it ( we had models of houses to, tran stations, trains..)

oh, Im getting nostalgic;)

But CM is also sooo very cool and beautiful;) And will be even better;)

M

Actually this post came back to bite me.In preparation for ToW and in an insane moment I decided to clean up my hard drive a bit.So I deleted a few programs and thought'well I don't need CMBB or CMAK anyway at least for a while'so away they went.When it became obvious that we poor souls in Western Europe were not going to get the DVD ToW version soon, I decided to reinstall them both not realising or remembering that since that last time I'd installed them I had bought a flat screen monitor.To my horror when I went to play CMBB last Saturday afternoon all I got on my screen was a message saying

'Input not Supported'.That was the weekend from hell!I did nothing else with the computer except try every thing I know(which isn't much) to sort out the problem.Thankfully on Monday Schrullenhaft over on the Tech Support of this Forum advised me on what to do and now all is well again.My wife has come home from her Fathers' house,the dog has crawled out from behind the sofa and I'm going to church regularly to keep my promise to God. :rolleyes: