Unofficial Official Leak

rune

Playing with ToW today, I got to see the Unit Encyclopedia in Action.

You can access the Encyclopedia from the games main menu.

Included are: Unit Background and technical information, including weapon performance, armour values, and a really neat feature that allows you to view the 3d model and rotate the view, AND, and this is a big AND, see the different skins. For example, the Tiger comes with 7 different skins. Here is a nice sneak preview, remember this is a work in progress, we just got this and I wanted to share:

tiger.jpg

Tiger tank missing data.

hetzer.jpg

Hetzer Tank Destroyer

halftrack.jpg

SdKfz 251/1

Hope you enjoy...

Rune

[ September 26, 2006, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, as Rune said, all the data you see in the screnshots recently (and that includes, weapons data, armor values, even wheter or not the unit SHOULD be included) is still very much under review by Battlefront.

It's obvious to us that ToW was originally meant to cover far more than just the Eastern and Western European theaters, hence the fact that we still see units like the M3, M3A2 and Matilda listed, or the fact that the Tiger in the pic above is sporting a nice North African paint job. And thats fine, we know from our own experiences with the CM series that often times things are scaled back or cut from the developement and the old data is still left in the game code, to be used in the future possibly. The same is true here.

Think of it as a bonus if you want, you get some extra vehicles and skins to play with for the same price. ;)

Madmatt

Originally posted by rune:

Playing with ToW today, I got to see the Unit Encyclopedia in Action.

You can access the Encyclopedia from the games main menu.

Included are: Unit Background and technical information, including weapon performance, armour values, and a really neat feature that allows you to view the 3d model and rotate the view, AND, and this is a big AND, see the different skins. For example, the Tiger comes with 7 different skins. Here is a nice sneak preview, remember this is a work in progress, we just got this and I wanted to share:

Hope you enjoy...

Rune

Thank you very much by the wonderful screens, but can't you fufill a request and show me/us a screen with a infantry team (on the Encyclopedia).

Cheers

Originally posted by rune:

RMC, say it with me, the data is placeholder.

Duh. I know. It's been drummed into us all by now. I wasn't going to quibble about the armor value listed therein (though I was going to link to an ancient thread that does :D ).

Comparing the stats of the Tiger to the Hetzer it does reveal and an interesting facet of the game design. Turreted vehicles get an extra armor location for gun mantlets, but non turreted vehicles don't. Depending on the vehicle this could hurt or help.

CM, GICombat and even IIRC CloseCombat, at least in the later versions, differentiated between upper and lower hull armor values, a differentiation that makes sense when you think of it, w/r/t tank design and therefore most tank models. non-turreted vehicles would consequently have lower and upper superstructure armor values.

but the hell with armor values - we have fancy graphics with different skins ! its just like a WinAmp player ! all the kool kids have kool skins on their tiger tanks.

what better way to spend resources than to create the n-th tiger skin, preferrably a black, or hot red with rallye stripes.

[ September 27, 2006, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]

rune,

Nice, but a bit confusing in places! How so? The vertical and horizontal guidance categories on the 251 completely threw me initially, so much so that I at first thought they had something to do with driving capabilities. I eventually concluded that it was a bizarre way to describe traverse and elevation limits for the MG.

The tabular data are useful, but I don't see either power to weight ratio or ground pressure listed, both very good things to know, especially for nongrogs. Application of SdKfz numbering is spotty. If MG ammo rates proper nomenclature, it would be nice if main gun ammo got at least as much consideration, preferably next to the projectile symbol, e.g., APCBC PzGr39. Speaking of projectiles, where are the other types listed?

As far as I'm concerned, that's essential info.

Regards,

John Kettler