"IL-2 had a great playback feature"

Mace

...is what Moon said.

So the question is, will ToW provide a similar record and playback option so we can watch the entire battle post game? *drools*

And while we're comparing the two games, the IL2FB series was kept fresh by the inclusion of new aircraft during patch updates, and add-on theatres and campaigns.

Any plans to do something similar with ToW (eg release additional AFVs with patches, extra campaign module releases)?

Hmmm a IL2FB/ToW interface...now that would be cool. ;)

Mace, don't you have a sheep needing your tender loving care? Now why would you go and spread unfounded rumors like this...bad boy...

Do you really think we would neglect to mention such a cool and invaluable tool as a mission recorder and playback device...silly silly Aussie...

Lets just say that Moon was right in what he said...Il-2 really did have a cool mission recorder and playback tool....Hmmm, yup it did at that... Now, what engine was ToW based on again.... Hmmmmm..............

Madmatt

Originally posted by MSBoxer:

Matt,

you are evil. I mean I luv ya and all, but you are one evil wicked S.O.B.

Well, he is the guy Steve pulls out when everything else fails on these forums.

I like to think of him as Steves personal sledgehammer. He's as subtle as a 150mm arty barrage at times ;) .

[Disclaimer: All this was written in jest and I was forced to do so...by the terrorists.]

//Salkin

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Madmatt:

Lets just say that Moon was right in what he said...Il-2 really did have a cool mission recorder and playback tool....Hmmm, yup it did at that... Now, what engine was ToW based on again.... Hmmmmm..............

I'm unfamiliar with IL-2. Can someone explain how this works? Is it possible to share those playbacks? How is fog of war handled during a playback?

I guess there are more individual objects to be tracked in ToW (max. 300 plus?!) than in a flight simulator?!

Maybe this causes a data rate problem in saving a playback data stream, kind of like it was discussed with the size of the CMx2 PBEM files?!

:confused:

Best regards,

Thomm

IL2 doesn't have "fog of war" since it's a flightsim. You can record tracks (full missions or only a part of it) and share them with others. While playing a track you can speed up/slow down the time.

Rollstoy, I once created a Prokhorovka mission with dozens of planes and hundreds of tanks. There's no limit to the number of objects in IL2, as long as your system can handle it.

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

IIRC in IL2 the recorded movie clip in playback didnt always exactly show the same results as what had happened in reality.

was this bug ever fixed?

Yes, about 5 patches ago - and that was playback issue as opposed to a recording issue.

Keep in mind that IL-2 playback is based on code and not an actual movie clip. The file is a series of object position coordinates updated - well often. The playback routine loads the map and objects and shows you where they are at a given point in time.

The problem in the past occured when views where switched too fast or time compression was used at 4x or above. Some code was "missed" by the playback routine - hence weird events occured that didn't in the actual mission.

Barkhorn.

Originally posted by Warphead:

I saw people with member numbers above 20000!?!

It's the jackasses with post counts above 20,000 that you really need to watch out for. They're not right in the head. :rolleyes:

Still, Emrys seemed to have you pegged the last time you returned...new title in 2005 and all...hmm, maybe Emrys20000 isn't so bad after all...

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=016212;p=2