I've become so desperate waiting for CMC that I...

Re-drawing of the front line is one problem I recall, ability to transport units along the line, and a few others.

Anyways, I figured CMC, TOW, and of course CM:SF, are so far off as to make purchase of Medieval War : Total War practical. So far, even with the well known bugs and odd or poorly documented features, I'm enjoying the game very much.

You also can't have attackers coming from more than one direction, the settings on reinforcements are too vague and hard for the scenario designer to control with any kind of flexibility, the victory conditions are also not flexible enough to force the player to make realistic decisions.

The big one for me is that entire subunits cannot be withdrawn, where in real life they would be. See my Little Stalingrad op for CMAK for example. If a company is thrashed in real life, they pull it out of the line. In CM this is not possible and all units keep coming back again and again until destroyed. You cannot swap a fresh unit for a depleted one, in other words, you can only throw a fresh unit into the editor and use it as reinforcements as a "hard" reinforcement. There are battalion, division etc. reserves, but in my experience they don't work properly and the conditions to be set in order to trigger them are too vague in any event. And you are limited artificially in the number of reinforcement groups and/or reserve groups.

Have you ever tried to design one PF? Fantasy Ops may work ok but it is murder to do one that is anything like historical. Take the Kapelsche Veer situation, where Canadian forces attacked from two different directions. Would make a great op - was battalion sized, took place over a few days. Completely impossible to model in CM due to the restrictions placed on op designers. (Incidentally will be impossible to do in CM:C (even assuming a CMAK version) due to the size of the CM:C map tiles).

Thanks for the input.

As I'm a player of this game and not a scenario designer I've never been frustrated by any of these considerations, but they don't sound like bugs. More design limits. Not what everyone wants, but the best that can be done.

Given these limitations it's hard to see how CMC will improve anything if it's not going to address the design causing the problem. And on modern machines too.

The coder in me (15-18 years in various guises for those interested) feels quite a bit of pity for the people working on CMC.

Originally posted by PFMM:

Thanks for the input.

As I'm a player of this game and not a scenario designer I've never been frustrated by any of these considerations, but they don't sound like bugs. More design limits. Not what everyone wants, but the best that can be done.

Given these limitations it's hard to see how CMC will improve anything if it's not going to address the design causing the problem. And on modern machines too.

The coder in me (15-18 years in various guises for those interested) feels quite a bit of pity for the people working on CMC.

You've identified the problem accurately (design rather than bug); hopefully I did not give the impression that I felt it was a latter.

CM:C will improve on many of these points. Thrashed units appear to be able to be withdrawn for rest and refitting. There may be no restriction on the number of directions one can enter an enemy tile, meaning a battle with entry from both, say, north and south by the same side may be possible. There will also be, one hopes, more flexible victory conditions. It doesn't appear there will be a "redrawing" of the front on individual tiles but I can't say for sure. In any event, based on Hunter's comments in this forum, I see many advantages to the CM Operations. Time will tell, though.

Yes, time WILL tell.

Any bets on when CMC for CMAK will be released?

Wouldn't be a fair bet; I know people. :D

Don't really care to be honest. Having too much fun with ASL these days. It does so much that CM doesn't nor will even with the new engine. I'll still pick up CMX2 and I'll look forward to CM:C when it comes out but I'm not waiting with bated breath. After the WOW factor of CMBO, I don't see any new product matching that for a long time to come.

Sorry, I'm already busy playing one as the Russians. "Our Backs to the Volga" is grand fun, but just doesn't come close.

Originally posted by Peterk:

That's nothing.

When you guys get desperate enough to learn ASL or go back to ASL and suffer through 2-300 pages of rules to get your campaign game fix, then I'll be impressed.

Barricades anyone? I'm the Germans.

You also can't have attackers coming from more than one direction,
I thought that one got fixed.

I still remember playing the Bridge Too Far operation by Wild Bill Wilder on CMBO. First battle was a blast and then I was sitting around for 4-5 battles waiting to get surrounded and to get into some good scraps and it never happened. Bit of a letdown.

Thanks for the input.

As I'm a player of this game and not a scenario designer I've never been frustrated by any of these considerations, ...

You are a far smarter man than I. :D

Actually, designing scenarios is what brought me back into the game. I bought CMBB and was disappointed in playing the AI and dropped it for 2 years. I started designing and learned first hand how damned fickle and under-developed the AI really is. What I enjoy is researching the battles and trying to get at least a good H2H scenario out of a design.

Originally posted by Peterk:

That's nothing.

When you guys get desperate enough to learn ASL ... then I'll be impressed.

Then be impressed! I am currently attempting to learn ASL! (okay, not as impressive when I admit I am receiving help from GJK *grin*)

-E, the moment you get the chance, play one of the historical sets (campaign or scenario, it matters not). They are one of the best things to happen to ASL

I don't need to learn ASL, after over twenty five years I can't forget. However I know someone nearby who if I even so much looked like I was going to repurchase let alone play it would kill me in an instant.

Such is life.

Originally posted by Bannon DC:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by PFMM:

Thanks for the input.

As I'm a player of this game and not a scenario designer I've never been frustrated by any of these considerations, ...

You are a far smarter man than I. :D

Actually, designing scenarios is what brought me back into the game. I bought CMBB and was disappointed in playing the AI and dropped it for 2 years. I started designing and learned first hand how damned fickle and under-developed the AI really is. What I enjoy is researching the battles and trying to get at least a good H2H scenario out of a design. </font>

I've become so something waiting for even news about CMC that I...

--- have researched two different campaign settings for first day of the Bulge, north shoulder, the Monschau campaign (modest size) and the Elsenborn campaign (more ambitious).

--- have made four different Russian front campaigns.

--- still have a job, and therefore haven't actually managed to play through any of the above.

• 4 months later...