What campaign is everyone looking forward to the most?

Peterk

Seeing how I play CMBB almost exclusively (and regularly) TCP/IP against my brothers, I'm more interested in small pick your own campaigns. The only thing that sucks about Combat Mission now is that at the end of a battle, that's it. That's the end. At least now, we'll have some sort of continuity[?] Keeping score and alot more **** talking!

Ooooooohhh Rahhhh!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

As I've just finished David M. Glantz's book "Kharkov 1942 - Anatomy of a Military Disaster Through Soviet Eyes" - Ian Allen publishing, I'm keen to play out some of this.

The scope is too big for CMC, but a small section of it would be extremely good to play - probably the final "Closing the gap" by 14 Pz, or the Soviet breakthrough attempts that ran into the 1st Mountain Division.

;)

Ooops ! I think I just messed up my "lurker" status... :D

[ March 02, 2006, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Baneman ]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some of my research from my crimea stuff came from the help of Nils, as he is making his own crimea campaign seperate from CM altogether.

But my angling is very different to Nils, which is more about Sevastopol and not the entry to crimea, and the defence on the russian counter attack.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Baneman. I'd enjoy playing anything around Kharkov in the spring of '42. Isyum has always been of interest.

I also continue to enjoy Kursk.

Anything in which the Germans still had some modicum of hope, real or imagined.

And of course 22 June, 1941.

WA69

When I saw this book on a store shelf, I immediately thought of Eichenbaum. I didn't realize his magnum opus wasn't completed. Then again, I never played any of the scenarios. The scope was just too intimidating for me. Did he ever find a way to simulate a railway gun, perhaps with the heaviest caliber FO available? Not that I'm saying he was deeply concerned about it.

Originally posted by Shmavis:

When I saw this book on a store shelf, I immediately thought of Eichenbaum. I didn't realize his magnum opus wasn't completed. Then again, I never played any of the scenarios. The scope was just too intimidating for me. Did he ever find a way to simulate a railway gun, perhaps with the heaviest caliber FO available? Not that I'm saying he was deeply concerned about it.

I took that book out of our university library when I heard about CM:C coming out - a really terrific resource - if you're thinking about buying it, I'd say go for it, though it depends on what you hope to get out of it, of course.

Originally posted by Runyan99:

Most of the reviewers on Amazon seem to think it is crap.

How many of them were campaign designers? ;) Like I said, depends on what you intend to get out of it. Your average Fedorowicz junkie will no doubt be bummed by the lack of glossy photos of panzers and SS Knight's Cross winners.

The reviews seems accurate, but there is good detail as far as component formations that served there, some not horrible maps, and stuff on the fortresses and siege equipment. Good stuff for a CM:C designer to utilize, though doing the entire region would be problematic in CM:C. A scaled down version wouldn't be hard, though.

I haven't seen any other source material on this battle, so I'll concede there may be much better books; my initial impression was that it might be useful for a campaign designer. *shrugs*