If you are discouraged, try this

SSG DEG

Geesus!

Reading this thread I fell like I just got out of my diapers! You guys are on your way back into it again! :D

Sorry for that. Anyways, now that we're at it, I'm a 33 old teacher (have never taught in my life), no military background (Thank God for that, imagine yourselves as a conscript in the Romanian Army, I managed to avoid that), have been playing computer games for the past 7 years.

But I guess that's not a big deal anymore.

I'm sure gonna show this thread to my girlfriend, you just gave me the greatest piece if justification!

When I started this thread, I just wanted to make a suggestion to those frustrated with their tactical results. I did not intend it to become home for those wanting to insult old timers who happen to like gaming :).

In my first post, I suggested adding arty and time to a scenario via the Mission Editor. When I was in the Army, we did not believe in fair and balanced fights, we wanted to be on the side using max over kill.

Several have pointed out correctly that such a practice in CMSF can result in a not very fun game. If that is a problem for you, skip the arty and just add time.

I have no experience with modern warfare, but the advice I see often on this forum to go slow makes sense to me.

Take the first battle Abu Susah. IMHO the US player must do three things. He must locate and defeat the ATGM screen, clear the village, secure the Objective at the end of the map, and do so in that order.

30 minutes may not be enough time for those tasks to be accomlished in a tactically safe manner. Try two hours.

SSg DEG,

No insult intended smile.gif and I apologize again but as I said, it really makes me feel good about my obsession with wargames in general and this one in particular.

Back to the topic: I started a thread some days ago bemoaning the available time-limits. We've been told by BFC that the matter is looked at, considered and moved around on the list of priorities according to... the priorities. So it's looking good. I also sense a bit of contradiction between the sound advice of going slow and the available time-limits.

So I find your idea especially useful. You can't edit the campaign scenarios, can you? That'd be nice.

"The brain is like a muscle"

Uh oh, I'm screwed ;)

53. I could probably go on disability for all the modelling glue fumes i've inhaled over the years.

I'm really drawn to the "max historial accuracy' type of play even if it produces an unbalanced game. Its like a learning experience. On the other hand sometimes I try to assemble scenarios where Red team has access to javelins! That's my 'max enetertainment' mode.

Originally posted by thelmia:

33- used to play Panzerblitz and the old Victory Games titles. Gamed out Desert Storm with Gulf Strike. Wargames draw a certain kind of person.

wet behind the ears punk kid...

sorry, could'nt resist ;) . I also started out with Panzerblitz and Panzer Leader in the early '70s. It's hard to believe how far this hobby has evolved in the past 30 years.

I wonder if some of us will still be hanging around here 30 years from now ... a bunch of grumpy old men arguing about insignificant issues...much like now. :D

Originally posted by massive1974:

SSg DEG,

No insult intended smile.gif and I apologize again but as I said, it really makes me feel good about my obsession with wargames in general and this one in particular.

Back to the topic: I started a thread some days ago bemoaning the available time-limits. We've been told by BFC that the matter is looked at, considered and moved around on the list of priorities according to... the priorities. So it's looking good. I also sense a bit of contradiction between the sound advice of going slow and the available time-limits.

So I find your idea especially useful. You can't edit the campaign scenarios, can you? That'd be nice.

No insult taken Fellow Gamer.

Actually I have never tried to edit a campaign, so I don't know.

I started my interest in military history after reading Battle of Britian. Got interested in casual wargaming after getting Avalon Hill's Blitzkrieg for Christmas when I was a kid. I'm 48 now. I was in Civil Air Patrol as a teenager and joined the US Air Force in 1977. My interest in things military have never waned. Retired from the Air National Guard after 24 years in 2004. I love Battlefront's Combat Mission series. Even this one. I also play Falcon 4 because I have been connected with F-16s for years. First as Security Policeman and then as Life Support Tech at an F-16 base. I received a ride in an F-16 years ago when I was a seurity policeman. I pulled 8.5 gs as this was a real training flight where the pilot was shooting at a dart with the M61.

Battlefront keep it up . As far as I am concerned your company is eons beyond the nearest comp. I have the same loyalty to Falcon 4 with all its faults. Both projects are awesome simulators.

Originally posted by StellarRat:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Steiner14:

StellarRat,

that's true, but computer games do not what you expect. The brain is like a muscle and the only way to keep it intact, is to put it to it's limits. That means reading and/or learning new things, that force the brain to remember. Playing chess is a completely other league and indeed is a good brain training. But CMSF isn't.

I disagree with you. I learn something new all the time when playing games including wargames. I still have "AH HA!" moments. I admit that pure strategy games are probably better. Any game that forces to you plan, balance and execute can be as challenging as you are willing to make it. Only shooters are mindless. </font>

Originally posted by InvaderCanuck:

[/qb]

Shooters offer something different. They may be less mental, but as men grow older their spacial awareness declines, as do their reactions and their reflexes. I am pretty sure that if someone did a long term study, older gents who did put some time into the more twitchy games would probably see this slide slowed down significantly.

It isn't a coincidence that the nintendo generation has a higher level of fine motor skills than any generation before. We won't talk about any possible deficiencies of my generation however ;p

I don't think shooters are mindless. It all depends on how do you play them. Also these increase other habilities like situation awareness, concentration, reflexes; these all make you seek advantage on terrain features, try to find the best spot where cover & concealment are maximized etc. specially in MP games.

Also playing in clan wars doing weekly training using real tactics and shooters which aren't unrealistically fast paced and where a shoot means death can be a good challenge. I don't do it but I can see it happening.

I'm 18, i've been playing CMBB since 2003

played WWIIOL since release date

first game i ever played on PC was castle wolfenstein

and i believe i've played so hard and so long that CMSF's problem isn't that i don't like it, i think i've burned myself out by playing way too much.

My upcoming enlistment in the Army should cure that ( if 6 months away from a computer doesn't, i don't know what will )