Specs question

I'm a long time player of all the CM games and have been waiting for CMSF with baited breath. I was going to pre-order the game today but was a little worried about some of these quotes about performance probs. My PC is a few years old now but can still play graphics intense games like FEAR or CoH without any probs but i thought i'd run my specs past you more tech savvy guys and see if you think it'll cope OK.

Pentium IV 3Ghz

XP Pro

GeForce 6600 256Mb

1.5 Gig Ram

Direct X 9c

Now i don't expect it'll run at max details but will it be playable? I usually try demos before buying i don't seem to be able to find a demo of CMSF yet.

Any coments welcome as my VISA card is itching to buy something. ;)

TTFN

Actually your system is very similar to mine (except that I have crappy Media Center). I am able to run the game on "balanced" or "improved" quality settings, and even the bigger scenarios run pretty smooth.

The engine actually automatically is balancing VRAM loads, so while the visual quality might be degrading, it should run even on lower end systems.

Martin

Hey goody - the Herc mono card rocks!

At least you have a 1 meg mother board, not like those dummies who bought a 512k mb... he he..

10 meg HDD and DOS 3!? Luxury! In my day we had to cut down a tree, mash it up in a giant pot, bleach it, roll it flat, build a hole punch out of flint and carefully punch the program in. Our computer was nothing more than a few dragonflies glued to small pebbles with tiny magnets attached to their wings inside a maze of hand wound copper wire which we had to mine with nothing more than a plastic spoon. We had to build the computer in our garage because we didn't have room to build it in our home, which was a rolled up newspaper in the bottom of a septic tank - try telling that to the kids today, they won't believe you!

I only play with best settings on my rig and It works pretty well all the time. The only thing I have a problem with is with loading scenarios in the editor (the bigger the longer it takes smile.gif ) and when I view elevations in the editor (2D mode) on huge maps.

I have a C2D 3 gig with 1 gig ram and an ATI x600 256 MB card.

I dont know any testers who have super rigs but I could be wrong.

I don't recall how the X1300 compares to the other cards discussed so far, so I'm not sure if the ATI X1300 will run very well.

Battlefront posted something earlier about an XP patch for multiprocessor power management buried in the MSFT site. I think I found the right one and installed it.

Any Beta testers out there run on something similar to this?:

Intel Pentium 4 Dual Processor

524 3.06GHz/533FSB/1MB Cache

1GB DDR400 PC3200 Memory (512MB x 2)

80GB HD

Radeon X1300 256MB AGP

Win XP Pro

I'll be running this to an HD projector occasionally, so I hope I can eek out the performance to make it look good.

Originally posted by lucero1148:

how will cmsf play on a MacBookPro 2.4, 4 GB RAM, 256vram running boot camp XP?

All best

Patrick

It should run just fine. Steve (from BFC) played with boot camp on a 2.16Ghz C2D MBP with the x1600 with 128MB VRAM, (IIRC) and said it was fine. I sure hope so, since that's my system.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

At least you didn't have to walk uphill both ways to load a stack of punchcards into the reader that you shared with the entire southwest US with nothing but an old vacuum tube to keep you warm.

Vacuum tube?! Luxury!

We had to attach sticks onto the actuators of two relays to keep warm!

iim home on leave from the army so ill be playing on a laptop when the game comes out .. my current specs..

intel duo 2

2.0ghz

2gig ddr2 ram

crappy intigrated 128mb intel graphics card

direct x 10

windows vista primium.

my desktop back at ft benning

intel pent IV 3.0ghz

1.2 gigs ddr2

geforce 8800 gts oc 312mb pci card

xp home

Originally posted by mpkev31b:

iim home on leave from the army so ill be playing on a laptop when the game comes out .. my current specs..

intel duo 2

2.0ghz

2gig ddr2 ram

direct x 10

windows vista primium.

Probably no go for the laptop i'm affraid.

br.

Dr.Jones

Originally posted by Dr.Jones:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mpkev31b:

intel duo 2

2.0ghz

2gig ddr2 ram

direct x 10

windows vista primium.

Probably no go for the laptop i'm affraid.

br.

Dr.Jones </font>

Originally posted by Pzman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by lucero1148:

how will cmsf play on a MacBookPro 2.4, 4 GB RAM, 256vram running boot camp XP?

All best

Patrick

It should run just fine. Steve (from BFC) played with boot camp on a 2.16Ghz C2D MBP with the x1600 with 128MB VRAM, (IIRC) and said it was fine. I sure hope so, since that's my system. </font>

If it has the Intel Extreme2 driver set it will most likely work on your laptop. You wont be using the best settings but it will run. I have tried it on a machine that has a configuration similar to this and it was more than playable.

Say hi to Benning for me, it was my home for a long time in the 90's. smile.gif

Originally posted by mpkev31b:

intel duo 2

2.0ghz

2gig ddr2 ram

direct x 10

windows vista primium.

intel pent IV 3.0ghz

1.2 gigs ddr2

xp home

Originally posted by Sixxkiller:

If it has the Intel Extreme2 driver set it will most likely work on your laptop. You wont be using the best settings but it will run. I have tried it on a machine that has a configuration similar to this and it was more than playable.

Say hi to Benning for me, it was my home for a long time in the 90's. smile.gif

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mpkev31b:

intel duo 2

2.0ghz

2gig ddr2 ram

direct x 10

windows vista primium.

intel pent IV 3.0ghz

1.2 gigs ddr2

xp home

</font>