Space Lobsters, When would people like it set.

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

dang, I shouldnt write offline...

not only was I beat to it and my post made redundant by J Ruddy himself replying...

but his not one but THREE posts in the meantime are nothing but utter humiliation.. :eek:

sodding off now...

It wasn't all in vain - I'm glad someone saw the humour in my Space Lobster Org & Equip post. I figured air burst shrimps would have tipped off the most gullable reader to the tone of the post but I guess I was wrong...

Thanks!

Jim

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole concept of a 'realistic' sci fi war with near future humans vs advanced creature X is a dead end for this very reason.
You could have some other aliens (or a faction of the attacking aliens) trying to use humans to fight a proxy war. Or a "French and Indians" war sort of set up. It'd take either carefull fiddling with the backstory, or a very sketchy backstory. (One that doesn't supply enough rope to hang itself, so to speak.)

But then, if you're talking "Space Lobsters", is "realistic" really a concern?

I figured air burst shrimps would have tipped off the most gullable reader to the tone of the post but I guess I was wrong...

There's nothing funny about air burst shrimps!

Personally I would like to see something in the far future. BFC is excellent at historical games, I would be curious to see how good of imagination they have in coming up with a world. Wouldn't really care if it was high-tech, post-apocalypse, or whatever.

I would expect it to be something with tanks as they talk about how much they have done with penetration, so would seem strange to let it sit idly by.

Of course the sci-fi game will be the fourth release, American Civil War or something will be third so that they have they the code worked out for horses, so they can put the cybernetic horse army in. The Space Lobsters are a mere red herring. They heard the cry's for horses and fully intend to drown us in them.

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

dang, I shouldnt write offline...

not only was I beat to it and my post made redundant by J Ruddy himself replying...

but his not one but THREE posts in the meantime are nothing but utter humiliation.. :eek:

sodding off now...

It wasn't all in vain - I'm glad someone saw the humour in my Space Lobster Org & Equip post. I figured air burst shrimps would have tipped off the most gullable reader to the tone of the post but I guess I was wrong...

Thanks!

Jim </font>

Originally posted by Tarquelne:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> The whole concept of a 'realistic' sci fi war with near future humans vs advanced creature X is a dead end for this very reason.

You could have some other aliens (or a faction of the attacking aliens) trying to use humans to fight a proxy war. Or a "French and Indians" war sort of set up. </font>

Okay i accept I took mRuddy all the wrong way. am I for one have no problem apologising.

In my cringing defence it's the fact that when you look at lots of games and films from Halo to "V" thats what you get. even things that are fun to play for a while like X-Com, are essentially guys in costume games, so you struck a raw nerve and I jerked like kerks occationally do.

As to Us getting pasted in a near scenario, set in our solar system well there a few what I might term legitimate ways round it.

First, We created the lobsters. They are genetically produced to live in outer planet moon enviroments, except like introducing Cane frogs to australia it goes wrong.

Second the regulars v the colonists is always a possible and can be fun.

Third, Men v Droids, and I don't mean R2D2 or the Terminator, I am talking far more like advanced versions of current UCAV designs and some of the light robots and remotes the army is playing with for guard duty or house to house.

I quite likewe the idea of a sort of light Quad with a central column that mounts two helicopter stub wing type fittings on a bar, so it can be fitted with appropriate weapons, like twin 5.56mm miniguns or a chaingun on one side and a auto grebade launcher on the other.

Peter.

Why not a WWII clone in different clothing?

WH40k - and I do mean the background and not the tabletop game - is a vast scenario that could bear some gaming.

Knackers to your King Tigers, give me Titans! A bit of intelligent interpretation ought to give and entirely logical reason for various designs that look odd from a current viewpoint.

Well, the thing to remember is that BFC is a pretty small company. Unless CMSF sells serveral orders of magnitude beyond what the current crop of games have been selling I think we can rule out any licensing of other IP. That being said I would love to see a sci-fi game about highly mobile infantry inserted onto a planet from space in power armor. It would be similiar but legally distict from the book Starship Troopers. Also, I may be wrong here but I had heard that Games Workshop (the Warhammer 40k people) actually owned the rights to the names Space Marine and power armor.

How about this for a future setting. Mankind can reach other star systems, but it takes ages and costs a fortune, meaning that colonists are more or less left to fend for themselves for a long time. Any weapons they have are either home-made with primitive early industrial technology, or expensive imports.

Now you could have colonists fighting corporate strike teams in brush fire wars on colony planets. The colonists are plentiful but poorly armed. The strike teams have the latest phased plasma rifles etc., but are outnumbered 10 to 1.

And not an alien (sorry, xenomorph) in sight!

How about aliens for the near future setting. And let's assume that the aliens are amphibia or somefink and cannot operate freely (without restrictive suits) in our atmosphere. And their technology is only about 100 to 200 years more advanced than us.

Because of these assumptions, the aliens would need earthling allies (or quislings, so to speak). I'm sure that not before long many individuals would welcome their new alien overlords, but in this scenario the aliens would find even whole countries (or just a specific country) supporting their cause, very easily.

The battles would then consist of these quislings with some alien upgraded technology fighting against the humankind.

And at the end, the German armored spearhead would free the world from the invasion by defeating the combined forces of aliens and earthling quislings.

Originally posted by KiloIndiaAlpha:

Starship Troopers. Base it on the book not the film.

On the bounce! Yeah I liked it. I also enjoyed the books protofascist drivel as Hofbauer put it. I saw it more as a needed and sensible approach to the uncertain future that all of mankind faced with such a fearsome enemy. Some of us men actually eat meat and would rather blow each other up then blow each other. And that attitude has made me the man I am today.

Has anyone else read John Steakly's novel 'Armor" it has a very good setting and they copied the fort in the movie Starship Troopers from his writings.

Hammer's Slammers was a good read as well.

Oh boy, Abbot is creeping in that political BS again, dare he unleash the fires of Olde General Forume, and all the powers of hellfire and vitriol within!

I still say Steampunk, it's far enough to be considered sci-fi, but it still has a very modern-ish feel to the combat within the fantasy world. Tanks are still applicable, airpower is used, and it even has the allowances for mechanized (As in clockwork) horses in addition to walkers and light as well as heavy steam infantry. It just plain rocks.

A starship troopers scenario would be fairly limited, what with only powered armor and such. If someone wants powered armor scenarios, they should play/build Maschinen Krieger. Which does bring me to another idea. What if they did a Maschinen Krieger type thing? I can dig up my ole favorites list if anyone wants to see en example of the mechanized armors from it...

http://www.trooperpx.com/SF3D/MaschinenKrieger.html

That's some very basic designs from MAK, however there are many many more on sites such as these:

http://www.maschinenkrieger.com/

http://www.trooperpx.com/SF3D/SF3D00.html

And the M.A.K People links pages on the TrooperPX site are full of both official and custom Maschinen Krieger models, in addition to a RPG system and backstory to Maschinen Krieger

Originally posted by TheNathan:

Oh boy, Abbot is creeping in that political BS again,

Hey Bub (Nathan),

We are talking about in the context of a universe that does not exist. It was a work of imagination. I think if 100 Billion intelligent cockroaches were attacking Earth by slinging large rocks that a one-world militaristic government as Robert described would function rather well. And is not "drivel" as previously described but a large working part of a excellent and controversial (for its time) novel. The rest is nothing more then humor. Now on the bounce and read Starship Troopers, it is highly recommended and the movie has nothing to do with the book. The MI is guaranteed to make you the man you are today!

Originally posted by TheNathan:

Or maybe even a Steampunk setting? Still allows for a sort of WW1/WW2 version of reality with some old style napoleonic zest, in addition to clockwork "walkers" and steam powered tanks, etc. WH40k is actually a kind of higher tech steampunk, btw.

I think that'd be fun.

They'll really mess up your furniture, lousy freakin mutts >|

One of the advantages of a steampunk setting is the fact that even though it has somewhat fantastical machines in it, and is almost halfway into a more fantasy setting, is the fact everyone more or less functions on already understood principles, meaning the penetration values of casted metal, regular ballistics, etc. It looks like a sci-fi/fantasy game, but the feel of the combat would be something like an amalgation of WW1/2 and Napoloeonic warfare.

Abbot - when you say

"Some of us men actually eat meat and would rather blow each other up then blow each other" aren't you just saying the samething twice - that some men eat meat, and others blow each other, but we all enjoy a good chew now and again smile.gif

Ah Starship Troopers - Book vs Film. One of the great debates. Personally - it is a good entertaining book, but is avowedly juvenile.

The film was a great piece of parody and should be enjoyed as such - one of those times when a director manages to con a studio he is making one film, but ends up with another - and they don't realise until too late... (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves is another) Just the casting alone is wonderful - Teen Network Drama (OC/ Beverly Hills 90210 etc.) goes to war!

I mean - this was a guy who made Robocop! WHat did they think he would do with the story? And then, when Hollywood still didn't get it, he made Showgirls...

Oh yes, and my vote for the setting? Go ultra space opera/ fantasy/ Douglas Adams, sod the physics.

Originally posted by Abbott:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KiloIndiaAlpha:

Starship Troopers. Base it on the book not the film.

On the bounce! Yeah I liked it. I also enjoyed the books protofascist drivel as Hofbauer put it. I saw it more as a needed and sensible approach to the uncertain future that all of mankind faced with such a fearsome enemy. Some of us men actually eat meat and would rather blow each other up then blow each other. And that attitude has made me the man I am today.

Has anyone else read John Steakly's novel 'Armor" it has a very good setting and they copied the fort in the movie Starship Troopers from his writings.

</font>

Well as yet another candidate for a far future setting, people should maybe take a look at "Mortal Engines" by Philip reeves.

This is set in an arid desolate future earth, which runs on the principle of "Municipal darwinism"......

Basically huge moving traction cities hunt own smaller moving towns and cities and when they catch them they eat them for scrap...

Great books , wierd world.

Peter.