Space Lobsters, When would people like it set.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Wisbech_lad:

Hmm, why are we thinking big? Why not CM - Space Lobsters Of Doom - the nano wars?

Automata fighting viral like battles, trying to either repair or destroy the chitin of the lobsters? Or the immune systems of their opponents?

That'll see if steve can put his "CMx2 can do anything" money where his mouth is.

And if scotty giving out diagrams, why not just a pershing, make things a lot easier than a sherman.

There are already a fair number of literally 'doom' and gloom future-war games out there. Why not go for high camp instead? 1950s soldiers with Walker Bulldog light tanks and Sabre jets face-off against big-headed creatures along the line of Mars Attacks. Random civilians would include Japanese businessmen running while looking back over their shoulders in horror, or blonde buxom lasses in angora sweaters and bobbi socks. Instead of the Beta team testing for historical accuracy they'd be testing for humor and outrageousness. :D

Originally posted by Dillweed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wisbech_lad:

Hmm, why are we thinking big? Why not CM - Space Lobsters Of Doom - the nano wars?

Automata fighting viral like battles, trying to either repair or destroy the chitin of the lobsters? Or the immune systems of their opponents?

That'll see if steve can put his "CMx2 can do anything" money where his mouth is.

And if scotty giving out diagrams, why not just a pershing, make things a lot easier than a sherman. </font>

The idea may be considered "juvenile" for some of you to believe or accept, but a Sci-Fi themed future CM game is something we are very much interested in doing.

We are all very big fans of Military Sci-Fi like books from David Drake, Keith Laumer, Jerry Pournelle, Harry Harrison, John Steakley, Eric Nylund, Fred Saberhagen, Robert A. Heinlein, David Sherman, Dan Cragg, S.M. Stirling, Joe Halderman, Larry Niven and others too numerous and diverse to list... ;)

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

[QB] Look at the authors I listed and you will get a good idea of what type of sci-fi we would likely go with.

Sounds good...

David Drake, Keith Laumer, Jerry Pournelle,

CM: Beyond Hammer's Bolos of Sparta?

Harry Harrison, John Steakley,
CM: The Stainless Steel Armor?

Eric Nylund, Fred Saberhagen,
CM: Berserker to Noise? (Or "CM: The Book of Signals"?)

That's enough of that.

Military sci-fi by Niven, as opposed to set in Known Space? I don't remember any... errr... more than 1. I suppose you could consider "The Soft Weapon" a military story, too: You could make a game with a secret option that wipes the hard drive.

Hmm.... "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex"? Not that it's military, but surley an such an imaginative group of guys could come up with an interesting game based on that? 5 stars for "Originality" in every review. Hype, IPO, selectively quote reviews, and cash out! It's a bit different from your present business model, I grant you...

Originally posted by Madmatt:

The idea may be considered "juvenile" for some of you to believe or accept, but a Sci-Fi themed future CM game is something we are very much interested in doing.

We are all very big fans of Military Sci-Fi like books from David Drake, Keith Laumer, Jerry Pournelle, Harry Harrison, John Steakley, Eric Nylund, Fred Saberhagen, Robert A. Heinlein, David Sherman, Dan Cragg, S.M. Stirling, Joe Halderman, Larry Niven and others too numerous and diverse to list... ;)

Madmatt

I'm still waiting for a worthy successor to the X-COM series, which for me stopped at Apocalypse. Now the idea of CM:X-COM looks even more farther....

I know the idea of an alien invasion could be thwarted by a handful of elite human warriors is too much to believe, but it didn't stop X-COM from being a very enjoyable game. CMx2 engine will definitely reinvigorate the genre.

Niven/Pournelle!!!! Sauron's on Haven!!! Collapse of the 1st Imperium?

I am not at all familiar with licensing and all that. Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to license something like the Niven/Pournelle Codominium universe for a game setting?

[ October 28, 2005, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: NG cavscout ]

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

I remember the original StarshipTroopers. the main difference to the movie was not only the completely different combat model, but that the movie completely omitted all the protofascist drivel that made up half of Heinlein's novel. all those nukes strapped to the one-man-army exo-armor soldiers I remember well, he handed them out like throwing candy at a parade, a nuke here, a nuke there...typical 1950ies nuke-euphoria-thinking.

the movie however was a superb work of sarcasm and parody; aside from that I always wondered why they didnt use tanks in the combat setting of the movie.

I thought that the movie caught two aspects of the book well: The fascist ideology and the bugs. The bugs in the film were awesome. (Well, the soldiers were, anyway. Perhaps the fireball-farting artillery shouldn't be included.)

I'd go for a Starship Troopers game true to the book. The Avalon Hill version was pretty damned good, considering the pains one had to go through to simulate FOW. With an improved FOW system like CMx2 is supposed to have, it'd stand a real chance.

Other than that, I'd have to vote for a Hammer's Slammers / Traveler-type scheme. Yeah, it's "shades of WW2" but what isn't? ModWar is "shades of WW2" but people enjoy playing it as a change of pace, don't they? Besides, the mercenary setting of Slammers/Traveler makes for lots of potentially different TOEs.

Just stay away from 'Droid Wars, OK? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SSgt Viljuri:

How about aliens for the near future setting. And let's assume that the aliens are amphibia or somefink and cannot operate freely (without restrictive suits) in our atmosphere. And their technology is only about 100 to 200 years more advanced than us.

I realize that you're probably joking, here, but just in case: Why would amphibian aliens who have to suit up just to walk on our surface even want what we have? Aren't conflicts usually based on a struggle for some mutually-needed resource or sumfink?

Perhaps to maximize code reuse a near term SF game could be develped that has aliens attack NATO in 2007 where Strkers and M-1's et al fight alien technology. This would reverse the technology imbalance in CM:SF where NATO would be the underdogs. The scenario might be aliens intercede in behalf of the Syrians (why not?) tongue.gif after NATO attacks Syria... or maybe a it could be another war of the worlds variant (less Tom Cruise) with alien vehicles on walking tripod legs that can shoot down LOSATs in flight with their ray guns...or something like that. ;)