Haters, please read.

I remember two 'great' board crashes smile.gif Can't remember what my member # was originally, but after the 1st crash it was #1, then after the second crash, it became the current one. Point being, tho I don't post that much, I've been around a long time.

And I don't recall there being the volume of posts, and the number of members, especially older ones, when any of the CM1x games were released that have occurred over SF concerning 'disappointments'. True, each CM release has had it's critics, with a handful of posters far too agressive, but so far, none of the SF posts (that I've read) aren't (yet) as bad as some of the CM1x were.

For the record, I have to side with most of the basic disappoints concerning the WEGO side of play. I have 4 PBEM buddies, 2 of whom we've been playing for 5+ years, that make use of the editor and ability to choose our own units, which issue seems to be one of the more major ones...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit that after playing the demo, I am seriously on the fence on this game.

Lest my boner fides be questioned, I twice drove over 200 miles to Rune's house for CMBB previews. I have been a CM Evangelist to anyone with interest in gaming WWII. I wrote papers and gave speeches for assignments using CM as topics. Even though I mostly played the AI because I suck at it, I recognized the genius of the design and the execution.

There is no question that the game will be much improved in many areas over the next few months, but that is simply based on the good history of support BFC has with their games. These are good, honest, hard-working fellers.

Yet, even with the constraints of real life notwithstanding, I have not been drooling at the

prospect of CMSF and I am currently luke warm about ever getting it.

Maybe we're all jaded by the advances in games over the past 7 or 8 years. Maybe the thrill of seeing machine gun bullets kick up dirt is old hat and the value of replaying the effect of an awesome long-range shot is simply passe' to the current market.

Maybe I'm just a knucklehead that doesn't get the awesomeness contained in CMSF.

I didn't hate the demo, I just wasn't amazed by it as I was by my first CM games oh so many years ago.

It felt clunky to me and I didn't really orient very well to the controls but with practice and tweaks on the level of detail perhaps I'll find the sweet spot. It is nowhere near as awful as the interface to Squad Assault, but that's a low bar to jump over.

Maybe the setting is too close to what I see on the news every night and the modern stuff isn't appealing to me because of it. I dunno.

What truly concerns me is that this format is not going to make for a genre defining WWII game in the future. I don't doubt that BFC will clean up and optimize the current engine as time goes by...but will it make for the kind of game that truly is the rightful descendant of CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK?

BDH

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by FaxisAxis:

You guys, you constructive criticizers who complain about it because you care so much (think you know so much) about the game: give me a break!

So unless we have praise we are to be silent?

-dale </font>

Look man, I want this game to succede.

But I spent more time lately playing Wargasm (remember that game?) than CMFS.

Honestly, I spent my money hoping for something better, and that's my mistake.

I've got plenty of money, but still, my hopes were not met.

[ August 08, 2007, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Astolene ]

No, here's a fine sig line:

Everyman ought to be a macho macho man,

live a life of freedom,

machos make a stand.

Have your own lifestyle, and ideals,

posess the strength and confidence,

Life's a steal.

You can best believe that,

He's a macho man,

He's a special person,

In anybodies land!

Hey, Hey,

HEY HEY HEY

Macho Macho Man,

I've got to be,

A MACHO MAN!

I ordered a recon squad that got under enemy fire to 'pop' smoke and was very upset to see them throw the grenades at a 45 degree angle with regard to the enemy!

I thought to myself "Do you guys want to commit suicide?!??!" ... until I saw the smoke clouds drifting gently between my squad and the enemy, forming a whole curtain of smoke!

If this is coded behavior then: Hats off!

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by SKELLEN:

Erm let me think, not the customer, surely not? ;)

But seriously it's a business and all business is about making a profit, try telling EA any different for example. smile.gif

Where have I claimed that businesses are not about profit? I'm just trying to point out that that profit comes from customers. In the end, people have to want the product. And don't get me wrong - I think plenty of people want this product. But I also know that many don't, even though they wanted to, and pissing on them from a great height isn't going to increase the chances of them wanting the next product.

-dale

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SKELLEN:

Erm let me think, not the customer, surely not? ;)

But seriously it's a business and all business is about making a profit, try telling EA any different for example. smile.gif

Where have I claimed that businesses are not about profit? I'm just trying to point out that that profit comes from customers. In the end, people have to want the product. And don't get me wrong - I think plenty of people want this product. But I also know that many don't, even though they wanted to, and pissing on them from a great height isn't going to increase the chances of them wanting the next product.

-dale </font>

Nobody wants to be pissed on of course as you say, but how many times have we seen this from a number of companies - you get my drift? ;)

Oh sure, I get your point here - BFC is, in the sense of the profit motive, no different than GM or Coca Cola. Doesn't stop people from remarking on "New Coke" does it? smile.gif And to my mind that's largely what CMSF is - the New Coke of computer games. smile.gif

-dale

Nobody wants to be pissed on of course as you say, but how many times have we seen this from a number of companies - you get my drift? ;)

Oh sure, I get your point here - BFC is, in the sense of the profit motive, no different than GM or Coca Cola. Doesn't stop people from remarking on "New Coke" does it? smile.gif And to my mind that's largely what CMSF is - the New Coke of computer games. smile.gif

-dale </font>

-dale </font>

I only wish I could taste this New Coke of computer games - maybe a Mac release won't be too long in being released, if at all? :D

Hey, who was it that had that quote from Steve as their sigline for years? "I assure you that, if we abandon any platform, it will not be the Mac."

Heh.

-dale

Originally posted by The_Capt:

It was a matter of time till someone brought this one up. Well dale maybe they'll bring back Old Coke and make a mint then we can all be merry.

Hey, it's only my opinion, and although I think it's particularly apt, I could be dead wrong.

-dale