My Second try at a battle

I played the Ambush Tutorial. During this game I had a striker get lost going down a major street, not an ally but a huge wide street. I set it 3 way points. One to get near the street, one to get onto it, and another straight down the unbostructed road. It got to the first two waypoints, but when trying to get to the waypoint at the middle of the road it decided to hang a left, into a bunch of buildings, then go around in circles until it came back pointing its butt to the enemy.

Also when it and another striker where waiting in ambush there, they started shooting at some SYrians. They shot at them sparotically and to my astonishment while the syrians slowly walked across the street, they all just seemed to ignore the sparatic gunfire. When I zoomed in to get a closer look.. it turns out they were walking about 20 feet in the air (and still ascending) going across the street to the 2nd story of a building that was not even adjacent to the street.

I lost a striker while this was happening as Real Time has no replay I will never know why. and after minutes of firing at buildings I seemed to have won.

It reached a 2 on the 1-10 fun meter.

Originally posted by MHertogh:

I played the Ambush Tutorial. During this game I had a striker get lost going down a major street, not an ally but a huge wide street. I set it 3 way points. One to get near the street, one to get onto it, and another straight down the unbostructed road. It got to the first two waypoints, but when trying to get to the waypoint at the middle of the road it decided to hang a left, into a bunch of buildings, then go around in circles until it came back pointing its butt to the enemy.

Also when it and another striker where waiting in ambush there, they started shooting at some SYrians. They shot at them sparotically and to my astonishment while the syrians slowly walked across the street, they all just seemed to ignore the sparatic gunfire. When I zoomed in to get a closer look.. it turns out they were walking about 20 feet in the air (and still ascending) going across the street to the 2nd story of a building that was not even adjacent to the street.

I lost a striker while this was happening as Real Time has no replay I will never know why. and after minutes of firing at buildings I seemed to have won.

It reached a 2 on the 1-10 fun meter.

It must have ranked higher than that on the funny as hell meter, however.

In second battle "Al Amarah" I,ve got.

An Stiker going through a building, back an forward.

Also troops with levitation hability.

An inmovile striker with troops inside witch

apparently had no problems, but I can't move it

and I can unload troops during the whole battle.

Units that disappear... And this is only my second try on the game.

It must have ranked higher than that on the funny as hell meter, however.
I wish however I am too cheap to laugh too hard about throwing away $50.

Perhaps after a month or 3 of patches it will aproach Beta stage. We have to be careful or else the guys who got my $50 will label me a whinner.

I had my Abrams do this when firing into a building. I gave it a move order, not 10 meters infront of it to get a shot at some Syrians. The Abrams decided to take a right, go down an alley, left, down about 20 meters, left, and left onto the original road in a giant box, where it ended it's little travel around the block with it's ass towards an RPG team. Fortunately I had a second Abrams firing like mad to save my hardware.

Seems like they should have renamed this game "Combat Mission: Braindead Americans vs. Static Insurgent Statues." That is the only mode of gameplay I've seen so far.

Working just fine for me. You have to do some pretty detailed orders to avoid the pathfinding problems but it's definitely playable in my opinion. The lack of a proper morale system is more worrying though. Not much of that old going to ground and crawling back to cover when you take fire.

Originally posted by Deathsai:

Seems like they should have renamed this game "Combat Mission: Braindead Americans vs. Static Insurgent Statues." That is the only mode of gameplay I've seen so far.

You can work-around the TacAI if you pay close attention and micro-manage the battlefield. However, you might want to the think of the "Static Insurgent Statues" as Japenese in caves during WWII. You have to blast them out to the last man. Very bloody.

Sorry, I guess I'm too used to the now-inferior CMx1, where if you clicked on a conscripted T-34 sitting on a road, and put a move order down the road, it went there in a straight line without freaking out. How ridiculous of me.

And I don't really want to fight the Japanese in WWII, I want to fight the Syrians in 2008. That means an actually fluid system, not a bunch of men that NEVER leave their position unless ordered to, even when under crippling fire, men who never retreat and never surrender, they might cower or be pinned but by Allah they'll never respond as an actual human would in the last few milleniums of human warfare.

:(

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

True statements, but still can't get over the irony of someone involved in coding Star Fleet Battles being irritated about bugs and problems..

35.gif

Yeah we had our issues and for the record I did not touch the meta game stuff which had the most issues at least early on. But if it was in tactial real time play and it was not to your liking well it was my bad at least up until SFC3 then it was mostly someone elses job.

If it was the Meta-Game server stuff.. that was controlled by the heads of the company, and I had no say in the design or implementation. Nor did I want to be as I had enough other stuff to do.

But I think it would be unfair to consider SFC as hosed as CMSF at release. For one we had a demo that was out for months ahead of the game and it was very popular and much liked.

And when Interplay was the publisher we patched for stability and balance. When Activision ran the show...well they stopped us from releasing patches, so our hands were tied.

I think you will find people still playing the games even now. http://www.dynaverse.net/ Considering the game is no longer supported and solely supported by fans I would have to say it stood up well against the test of time.

And just to be clear I did not say what I did for a living for any other reason than to make it clear that I understand the issues involved in making games. I wrote the replay in SFC, I designed the network model, the simulation and the UI. And it was my first PC game to boot, so of course I could have done better. If I wrote it today I would have done things differently of course.

Marc

Originally posted by Deathsai:

Sorry, I guess I'm too used to the now-inferior CMx1, where if you clicked on a conscripted T-34 sitting on a road, and put a move order down the road, it went there in a straight line without freaking out. How ridiculous of me.

Yeah, I don't really understand why vehicles do not simply attempt to drive the exact path you lay out for them. I played some of Allah's Fist with lots of tanks. I noticed that when I gave my tanks a move order through the empty desert, instead of driving exactly along the path ordered, they would take an oblique path slightly off to the right, for no apparent reason, then turn back towards the end of the movement to end up on the waypoint I ordered.

Why?

Regarding Member # 9810: Right...so your helped write a buggy game and now you're whinging about this one. But it wasn't your fault, now you'd know better and you'd do it differently if you could....I'm sure Charles is crushed to know it. Good on ya! Cheers!

Originally posted by bboyle:

Regarding Member # 9810: Right...so your helped write a buggy game and now you're whinging about this one. But it wasn't your fault, now you'd know better and you'd do it differently if you could....I'm sure Charles is crushed to know it. Good on ya! Cheers!

Good to know you're not just a wang when discussing politics. ;)

-dale

Originally posted by Runyan99:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Deathsai:

Yeah, I don't really understand why vehicles do not simply attempt to drive the exact path you lay out for them. I played some of Allah's Fist with lots of tanks. I noticed that when I gave my tanks a move order through the empty desert, instead of driving exactly along the path ordered, they would take an oblique path slightly off to the right, for no apparent reason, then turn back towards the end of the movement to end up on the waypoint I ordered.

Why? </font>