Any news about the PC specs?

Miska

Awhile ago I recommended someone go look at the specs for the T72 game for a rough idea, and got stomped on for my suggestion.

I think BFC said they were looking to have a game that could be run on the next-to-last generation machines so everybody won't be forced to run out and buy the latest superPC just to play the thing.

I've just gone for an AMD Athlon 64X2 4200 on an ASUS A8N SLI motherboard with a GF7800GT PCI-E graphics card. It will handle anything currently out there so should easily handle CMSF even if they code it for the current generation of machines rather than the last. As time goes on and prices come down I can bung in another 7800GT in SLI mode to almost double the graphics power. That's the plan anyway and you know what they say about best laid plans.

To some extent the old argument for buying the best you can afford is now less pronounced, simply because even the cheap stuff nowadays is often able to handle the latest games. Hardware performance has accelerated faster than the games can use it, if you ask me.

Personally I would go for a good graphics card rather than a particularly powerful processor. Most PCs come with at least 2 or 3 GHz of processing power as standard, and that is pretty fast already.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

[QB] To some extent the old argument for buying the best you can afford is now less pronounced, simply because even the cheap stuff nowadays is often able to handle the latest games.

I've always bought less than I could afford, but allowed myself a "brisk" upgrade cycle with regard to CPUs and especially video cards.

It's served me well. I'd consider a x2 Athlon too expensive at this time. OTOH, it'd be fun!

I agree about the video card... A good rule of thumb may be "Don't spend more on the CPU than you spend on the VC."

I wonder how CM:SF will break down on CPU vs. VC demands, though. Might be different from most games. (Hmm... maybe what'll allow CM:SF to run nicely on new to slightly-old PCs is "give" in the graphics settings.)

Given the phrase "next-to-last generation" I'd guess that any CPU above 3 GHz will be fine, so long as it isn't a CPU-lite like a Celeron.

Depends on "generation".... I'm assuming "last year or few" is meant rather than "6 months".

Originally posted by MikeyD:

[QB] Awhile ago I recommended someone go look at the specs for the T72 game for a rough idea, and got stomped on for my suggestion.

Hey, maybe if we start spreading disinformation we'll provoke more details? ;) Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

And kicked, but there's usually oil in there too.

I believe the hot gaming setup are the AMD64 Dualcore's with the 7800 Nvidia series SLI card(s).

Next is the most important advice you will ever get in your computing life.

If you are choosing between a 3.0 or a 2.5 with more RAM take the 2.5 every time. Put a 1GB of RAM minimum of course, I'd suggest getting to a nice 2GB. Set yourself up to upgrade if you can't afford it initially.

EDIT: You know I just started thinking and it's all about the combination of quality parts and good drivers. ASUS/MSI are my favorite motherboard companies, and they also make video cards also. Video cards are a hard buy. Buy just behind the cutting edge. New cards are always obscenely priced. Never buy lite CPU/GPU's. A dedicated Audigy 2 always helps the sound also. Building a machine is the only way to game.

[ January 25, 2006, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Colin ]

I'm definitely with Colin on this one. My philosophy is to buy the best available now even though it was slightly beyond my means and it will be good for at least a couple of years without an upgrade and it's already ready for 64 bit OS, Hyperthreaded apps and SLI/Xfire games. All of which will be standard in the next couple of years. It can then be cheaply upgraded as prices come down. Basically spend now to save later. Rather than wasting money on the latest upgrades as I go along. BTW My graphics card is an MSI one which I can thoroughly recommend

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

I've been using PCs since 1992, and my buying plan is still the same: I buy the top-of-the-line-stuff from 12 months ago. This gives me decent performance for a reasonable price. Every 2-3 years I replace/upgrade my system.

Exactly. And if we wait for CM:SF to be announced then we'll be buying stuff about the same speed as the top-spec stuff it was tested on.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

My advice is to wait until the release of CMSF is announced and upgrade then. There is no need to upgrade specifically for a game that won't be out for another 6-12 months. Of course, if you need to upgrade now anyway, knock yourself out.

Yes i need to upgrade anyway and reason why the top processor which i mentioned above is so tempting

is that i need processing power also other things than just playing games.

But if i'm going to play CMSF then i probably need good video card also. So it seems that this will be very expensive project.

(And my wife will kill me if she finds out how expensive)

Originally posted by Miska:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

My advice is to wait until the release of CMSF is announced and upgrade then. There is no need to upgrade specifically for a game that won't be out for another 6-12 months. Of course, if you need to upgrade now anyway, knock yourself out.

Yes i need to upgrade anyway and reason why the top processor which i mentioned above is so tempting

is that i need processing power also other things than just playing games.

But if i'm going to play CMSF then i probably need good video card also. So it seems that this will be very expensive project.

(And my wife will kill me if she finds out how expensive) </font>

• 2 weeks later...