Red Airburst ammo for tanks?

Guest Guest

In an old U.S. M48 'Tank Commander's Guide" I recall seeing a chapter about combining delay fuses with 'skipping' shells off terrain in order to produce airbursts over trenches. It sounds like something that would take considerable practice to do right, and something a modern Abrams 'dual purpose' HE shell wouldn't be able to reproduce.

I understand there's a Chinese RPG round that does the same thing. The nose fuse has a slight delay and the tip of the round has a circular 'washer' that would cause it to skip & spiral on hitting the ground. Its been found in Iraq but I don't think its in the game.

Well they [tanks, IFV, RPG rounds] blow on top of roof as well, without any logical explanation of how it blows there. It should either hit wall of building or fly over the building, as flat roofs generally are not visible from ground level and therefore are not in line of fire... Some abstraction of same kind with this?

Yeah it could be delayed fuze as well in case of builsings.

I don't recall ever seeing a round detonate where it hadn't ought (Seconbrooks' roof explosions excepted). Were there any trees or telephone poles in the area? Treebursts are VERY common in the game. Like I posted above, early generation rifled gun HE often had a timed fuse option, though it would take a mighty clever TC to use it correctly. So 'conceptually' its not entirely out of the question. I don't have a clue if its designed-into the game. There's too much stuff going on under the hood for anyone to keep track of.

I double checked with Charles and there are no VT Fuze HE rounds available for Syrian tanks. Airbursts can, however, happen if the round detonates on something like a tree, a raised patch of ground, etc.

Like MikeyD, this is the first I've heard of rounds airbursting in ways that appear to be incorrect. I'm definitely curious if someone can come up with a reproducible situation where that's happening.

Steve

A question: do US airbursts (81mm) occur above GROUND level, or above building height?

I'm asking because the burst height seems to be the same regardless if the round comes in over a tall building. (Note that I have not tested this.)

Thanks,

Ken

edit: What I posted is in error. After testing, confirmed artillery airburst works as expected. Sorry.

[ April 30, 2008, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: c3k ]

c3k,

There was an adjustment to airbursts over buildings way back in v1.06. They should be bursting correctly. What is it doing that you think is wrong?

permanent666,

Please hold onto that save. We think we have a save that shows a problem, but Charles can't look at it for a couple of days due to other tasks. If that one fails to show the problem I'll send you an email asking for yours. If you send it to me now I'll probably just lose it ;)

Steve

MikeyD,

Graze action fuzing goes back to at least the French 75mm in WW I. Colonel Jarrett, of APG fame, revived this capability by providing French fuzes from Syria for U.S. supplied 75mm HE on the Grants and Shermans in the Western Desert and was decorated in consequence. Graze action/ricochet fire is clearly shown in FM 17-12 Tank Gunnery from 10 June 1944, which I own, is clearly described by Wilson in FLAMETHROWER, and was practiced by the Germans as well. Search the CMx1 Forums under ricochet fire for an extensive discussion of this topic. Even WW II HE typically had three settings: Superquick (detonates on impact), Delay (for penetrating cover, then detonating) and Graze Action (ricochet fire). I know no fundamental reason why Syrian tanks couldn't do at least what their WW II counterparts could.

This discussion is separate and distinct from any regarding the special antihelicopter rounds under development/in service on both sides

for late model tanks and such IFVs as the 100mm armed BMP-3 and BMD-4.

Regards,

John Kettler