Army Readyness declines due to heavy commitments

Originally posted by SSgt Viljuri:

It seems like it would be a good time for Dorosh to invade and annex most of America in order to create an independent Alberta-led Confederation of Western Provinces and States of America or somesuch.

Stop polluting Andreas' discussion! If you want to talk about me, I have to believe that is worthy of its own thread. Perhaps even its own forum, to be honest. Send me the URL and if I approve of the layout, font, colours, header art, and domain name, perhaps I shall restrain from unleashing my legal team on you. (More than likely, really, since Mom is going in for surgery next month. But she can still write vicious emails from her hospital bed. :mad: )

Well, lefty-leaning-traitorous-scum-rag or not :D , this is old news. The Pentagon has been raising this issue repeatedly for years. Last year the commanding General of the National Guard gave an extremely bleak assessment of the Guard's ability to perform. It's one of the reasons why some in Congress have been trying to set standards on readiness before troops get sent over to Iraq. The right wingers scream bloody murder about this, but there is legitimate reason for Congress to be concerned since COIN ops are tough enough even when fully staffed, fully equipped, and fully trained. Sending troops over that are lacking in any of these three areas is not serving the best interests of national security of the soldiers themselves (both from the ill prepared unit or the ones that will be working with them).

Steve

Then count yourself lucky since you appear to be in the 35% part of the Guard that was seen as being fit enough for deployment :D

Remember, the regular Army raided a LOT of National Guard equipment because they simply ran out of their own stuff. The quantity of material that has been deadlined through nothing more than use is staggering. The "dirty little secret" was that prior to 2001 a significant portion of the vehicles sitting in motorpools were at, or far past, their operational age. Some Guard units went into Iraq with equipment that was older than its soldiers. In a few cases the equipment was as old as the parents of the soldier operating it :(

Steve

Really? Welcome to the airforce...where I've worked on BUFFs of 1960-61 constructions. C-130E of 80s construction.

The F-15E-220s are mid 80sm the F-15E-229 are early 90s.

the F-16CJs were the newest at 1996.

The problem is that the Army hasn't spent any money on War Reserve Material in a decade or more. Heck they have a $20B shortfall in WRM ammo alone...not counting continuing training requirements or replacing ageing stockpiles.

Welcome to the world of the DoD, we're all working with equipment that is at best 10years old.

My impression was if you're in-theatre you're likely to still reasonably supplied but that they're stealing from Peter to pay Paul. The next rotation of Guard and Reserves is going to be... um... interesting. Rememeber, not long before the much-publicized 'surge' the Pentagon had been pleading that any troop increase not exceed 9-10 thousand troops because it simply couldn't be sustained without gumming up the whole machinery.

[ March 23, 2007, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Heh.

I remember talking with a recently retired Colonel friend of mine who went to work with a big defense firm just before 9/11. When the fight was going on in Afgahnistan he was saying how they were cranking out ammo as fast as they could because the reserve stocks were low to begin with and were rapidly running out of some types and calibers. Then around the same time I saw something on the news about it.

The problem was training had been using up stocks that weren't being replaced for years and, due to that fact, the production lines had been scaled way back. The probably also had whatever stocks there were spread out all over the place. And when that happens it takes the Army about 4 years to figure out where they put it. Then all of a sudden Uncle Sam wants to put more than just one cap in someone's ass and woooop... lots of people running around leasing factory space and moving in equipment.

Steve

Originally posted by Wildman:

...where I've worked on BUFFs of 1960-61 constructions. C-130E of 80s construction.

Hi Wildman,

Do you happen to have any (unclassified) pictures of aircraft structures (fuselage, wing internal structure) that I can use for educational purposes, or maybe details like stringer-skin/spar joints?

I am always on the look-out for that stuff!

Best regards,

Thomm

I think I heard civilian production of the baseline Hummer® was stopped awhile ago. It was billed at the time as some eco-friendly corporate stance, but I suspect all humvee chassis on the assembly line were being shifted to military to replace rapidly attriting warstocks.