Could there be a Media Outcry against CM:SF?

I would not be surprised if there was a flap at one point, just remember the heat Microsoft received when stories came out that the 9/11 hijackers had been playing Flight Simulator .

All you need is one (terrorist, criminal, white supremacist, psycho) who carries out a (bombing, crime spree, hate crime, school shooting) who plays CMSF regularly and the media will circle BFC like a pack of Hyenas.

Of course, it will mean a lot of free publicity. Who is it who said: "I don't care what they print about me, as long as they spell my name right"? ;)

Originally posted by Sgt.Joch:

I would not be surprised if there was a flap at one point, just remember the heat Microsoft received when stories came out that the 9/11 hijackers had been playing Flight Simulator

Probably much the same outrage Lug the Happy Neanderthal was subjected to, when somone first used his invention of fire to burn down a hut.

Yeh, but Microsoft is Microsoft. I think I'm in agreement with an earlier post. With a company BFC's size they'd have to go out and start throwing rocks thru windows before the media noticed them. Plus the competition is up its elbows in blood and marketed to 14 year olds. By comparison with those ghoul-fests CMSF seems to have been designed by Carmelite nuns!

Actually, I think Combat Mission: Shock Force gives us a chance to crush more terrorists (we know al qaeda terrorists are already in Syria, the Syrians letting them use their country as a way to get into Iraq to attack our soldiers, and if we had to fight Syria, those same terrorists would try to fight us there, too (we can assume some of the enemies we see near the IED's and such in the game are terrorists)) and those that are allied with them (than we already are for real in Afghanistan and Iraq) in a wargame setting. So that's a very positive thing. smile.gif

Obviously, if you're going to have non co-op multi-player capability in a wargame, then someone has to play the other side in multi-player matches in order to have a battle to fight.

The American Medical Association yesterday declined to classify Video Game Addiction as a disease like alcoholism, crack addiction, gambling, etc. The did, however, admit that for some people it is no different, which kinda confused me. As a lay person I don't understand how something can have a similar effect as an established disease and yet not be classified as one. I knew a guy that locked himself in his closet and played an online RPG game for a week before the landlord let his mother in and they found him sitting there. But he had a mental breakdown too, so who knows which came first. All I know is I'm going to quit the game development biz before this happens to me smile.gif (yup, the guy was a fellow co-worker from my previous life).

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

The American Medical Association yesterday declined to classify Video Game Addiction as a disease like alcoholism, crack addiction, gambling, etc. The did, however, admit that for some people it is no different, which kinda confused me. As a lay person I don't understand how something can have a similar effect as an established disease and yet not be classified as one. I knew a guy that locked himself in his closet and played an online RPG game for a week before the landlord let his mother in and they found him sitting there. But he had a mental breakdown too, so who knows which came first. All I know is I'm going to quit the game development biz before this happens to me smile.gif (yup, the guy was a fellow co-worker from my previous life).

Steve

Steve,

I think the issue might be that AMA believes that the video game addiction is a symptom of an underlying problem.