Mac OSX CMSF release confirmed!

Thought the other Mac owners 'round here might like to have this pointed out; from the "What's Shakin'" thread, from the horse's mouth, so to speak:

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Oh, and yes... baring some sort of unforeseen technical disaster, CMx2 will be MacOS X native in the near future. However, the hardware might very well be a big issue.

We will not purposefully exclude support for PPC G4 and G5 chipsets, but we will also not devote much time to making CM work on them. If push comes to shove, we will support Intel based Macs only. The reason for that is quite simple... the PPC family is effectively dead. The hardware is already at least 2 years out of date and getting more out of date every day. Most of the PPC systems made earlier than 2 years ago probably aren't even powerful enough to run CM acceptably anyway, so why waste development time on the handful of systems that were made just prior to the changeover to Intel when that handful gets smaller each day as laptops crap out (I have a G4 that went tits up like so many others!) or are made 2nd systems when a newer Mac is added to the home? It's really not a smart move.

We'll just have to see how it goes. And of course we'll keep you informed :D

Steve

With a new iMac, I'm happy. Tho I am now starting to wonder why the heck I bothered to pay for a copy of Win 98 to put on my Boot Camp partition. Once I have a good game or two that will run in OSX, I'm not at all sure what I need Windoze for anymore.

Now, if BFC can engineer a simplified version of CMSF that can be played on a iPod Touch, I might even join the teeming masses of iPodHeads. . . :D

Cheers,

YD

Whenever I pick up a small device, I tend to write a couple of small games for it, usually incredibly dry wargames.

I think a wargame would have to be pretty simplified to make sense on an Ipod touch though. Ever thought of rolling your own?

I'm excited about the Mac release as well. Between CM:SF and Eve I might actually spend time gaming on my Macbook. (!!!)

Originally posted by Phillip Culliton:

Whenever I pick up a small device, I tend to write a couple of small games for it, usually incredibly dry wargames.

I think a wargame would have to be pretty simplified to make sense on an Ipod touch though. Ever thought of rolling your own?

I'm excited about the Mac release as well. Between CM:SF and Eve I might actually spend time gaming on my Macbook. (!!!)

Well, I was mostly kidding. But as to your suggestion to "rolling my own," it's been a long time since I was the best in my 5th-grade class at programming LOGO and Applesoft BASIC on the classroom Apple II+, but if I ever have idle time to get back into programming again, maybe I'll give it a shot. That old Apple II+ I used to program on has equivalent processing power to, what, a $9.99 digital alarm clock these days? :D

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

If push comes to shove, we will support Intel based Macs only. The reason for that is quite simple... the PPC family is effectively dead. The hardware is already at least 2 years out of date and getting more out of date every day. Most of the PPC systems made earlier than 2 years ago probably aren't even powerful enough to run CM acceptably anyway, so why waste development time on the handful of systems that were made just prior to the changeover to Intel when that handful gets smaller each day...

So much for my "smart move" in buying a G5 Quad!

Michael

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Yankee Dog,

Don't know about you, but I'd like to be able to play TOW (out already) and HistWar:Les Grognards (still in dev), neither of which is planned to have a Mac version, thus your investment, assuming you care about either game, is far from wasted.

Regards,

John Kettler

Ya, I'm sure I'll continue to find a use for the Boot Camp partition in one way or another. If nothing else, it's reassuring to know it's there, just in case there's some Windoze program I really need to be able to use.

Thing is, I only really have time in my life for one, at most two games. So once CMSF goes OSX native, it's likely to be my first choice. Any other game would have to be significantly better for me to go to the trouble of booting into Windows in order to play it. And my Second choice game usually goes to some mindless fps that I play every once in a while when I just want a quick mindless 20 minutes of killing/blowing stuff up. But I have a Playstation for that.

One a related note, did anyone else see the recent PCmag.com article that rated the MacBook Pro the fastest Windows Vista notebook for 2007? Oh, the irony. . . :cool:

Cheers,

YD

YankeeDog,

Roger. Improved, OS X native CMSF it is! As for your second choice game, my friend and I call that activity kill therapy, which we now perform on his XBox 360 and find very good for stress relief, if for no other reason than that total concentration on, say, Halo 3 is required.

The last item's too funny. Splendid irony indeed!

Regards,

John Kettler

This is truly awesome news...what a great Xmas present from Battlefront. And if it is 1.05 improved...wow...I am waiting to buy a new Macbook...maybe I will scrape up enough to get the PRO just to play CMSF....

Of course, I will still have to get XP to play CMx1....can't let it go yet!!

Please keep us posted..

P.S. small question, does the eLicencse allow you to play the game without the CD once it is registered? That would be great for battery life....

Thanks...glad to see everyone back...

Originally posted by grunt_GI:

This is truly awesome news...what a great Xmas present from Battlefront. And if it is 1.05 improved...wow...I am waiting to buy a new Macbook...maybe I will scrape up enough to get the PRO just to play CMSF....

Of course, I will still have to get XP to play CMx1....can't let it go yet!!

Please keep us posted..

P.S. small question, does the eLicencse allow you to play the game without the CD once it is registered? That would be great for battery life....

Thanks...glad to see everyone back...

Well I’d suspect that the Mac version will be later than 1.05 (can’t say if it will be 1.06 or 1.XX) as only prelim work has been done on it at this stage.

Yes, the eLicense allows you to play without the CD in the drive.

Originally posted by skelley:

I have 4 gigs o ram in my Mac Pro and am running CMSF through bootcamp. Windows only recognizes 2 gigs, so I am wondering wether the extra to gigs I would get by running it in Mac OS would be enough horsepower to be worth buying the CMX2 in Mac format.

If your performance under Windows is fine (as is mine) then I’d say the Mac native version will be fine too (esp. with another 2Gb of RAM available).

Well to be honest I don’t know (as it doesn’t exist yet).

All I can say is that as a tester incredibly keen to see the Mac version work that I can give some feedback about my own machines (I have a G5 as well) performance in due course.

But I suspect that wont be until the early new year at the very (and unlikely) earliest.

If the performance is similar then you have to workout for yourself if the convenience of not rebooting, having other Mac apps run in the background, etc. is worth the purchase price.

How about a date guys! I'm willing to buy CM:SF just to let you know we Mac guys buy games and we can't wait for the CMx2 version of Beyond Overlord!

(since I'm having to play CM:BO using Parallels under WinXP)

As for the Intel/PPC thing, I'm OK if you only support Intel hardware, as you say the G5 platform is two years old. As long as my 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro runs it, I'm good.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve and/or Madmatt,

Small question and hope it isn't too annoying. How long (roughly) do you think it will be for the Mac OSX version? I am getting my new MBP 17" this week smile.gif and as soon as I load XP on Boot Camp, all my CM games will be next so the question is:

* Immediate gratification and by the Windoze version or

* wait for the goodness of a Mac native version?

I am leaning toward instant gratification since I have to boot into XP to play my other CM, but would wait a short period for a OS X version.....any clue?