Mac?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In other word, will my aging 867 MHz PPC G4 w/ GeForce2 TwinView 64 MB vram be enough?
I have the same system (exept with a 9600). As this is the barely making the grade for many MacOS games now, I doubt it will be near enough to run a new CM with that many polygons.

Look at it as an opportunity to upgrade to a new Macintel, and you get to keep a legacy OS9 booting CMBO to CMAK machine. I can see a KVM switch in your future. ;)

Thats where I will be presuming I can afford to do so. :(

So is there any reason coding couldn't be done in universal binary format? I thought Apple had made it fairly clear which API was going to be used.

I don't believe that Mac user's will end up in a RAVE vs DirectX situation as was the problem with CMx1 that kept it OS 9.

I am a little worried about actaully running CMx2-

I've got an eMac 1ghz with a 32 card, which basicaly hates me.

So, I hope the sys requirements aren't too high- I already had to drop WWIIONLINE becuase of that.

However, if I hard core want it (and I probably will) I could buy the PC and run it on my girlfriends machine (some AMD thing with a 64 card).

The old promise

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

Is starting to sound pretty thin. There has been no Mac-compatible version for a couple of years and now we hear that the Mac version of CMX2will be 'delayed'

Ah well: the error of believing promises

...now we hear that the Mac version of CMX2will be 'delayed'[/QB]
How about considering the fact that Apple's encroaching major changes in not only hardware, but operating system and development environment (xcode and universal binaries) might be a major hurdle for developers? Cut some slack, anyone releasing software before the macintels ship may end up in patch hell and have a lot of wasted effort on their hands.

To date, the only information Apple has provided about Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is that it will come sometime between late 2006 and 2007 and that it will be Intel compatible. Meanwhile, anonymous sources revealed to MacosXrumors the first major feature of Leopard and it looks like it has to do with the Finder.

According to the sources, Apple will entirely re-design the Finder in its next major Mac OS X update. The new version of the Finder, code-named “Chardonnay” (like the wine), will be totally based on the Spotlight meta-search technology which was introduced earlier this year with Tiger.

The extensive use of Spotlight in the next version of Finder will bring the following enhancements to it:

- significant overall performance increase

- improved user interface

- even more integrated Spotlight related features (search, smart folders, document previews…).

The aim behind this new Finder is to offer to the user the ability to browse his files just as he browses his music. Users will be able to browse files by different criterias (name, type/creator, creation date, modification date…).

Sources also told us that Apple may also add the ability to edit meta-tags directly from the Finder, just as we edit ID3Tags on iTunes. Though this feature doesn’t appear to be implemented in early builds, the new Finder’s architecture is making it quite easy to add such a feature, explain sources.

On the developers side, Apple should also improve Spotlight’s API a lot, making it easier to use for developers and more powerful. It might be possible for developers of Cocoa applications to add meta-tags support to a document type with few coding.

This first drop of information already shows that Leopard will be far more than a cosmetic update. We guess Apple has many other major features in development for this release. We’ll be trying to get more details on this major feature as well as on other Leopard features so don’t hesitate to contact us if you know more about Leopard.

from this web page:

macnewz and rumours site.

I don't really know what that might mean for CM:SF.

:confused:

-tom w

Not much, changes to the finder will not affect the core function of the OS. They have changed the finder in each version of OSX, to one degree or another. Most of the changes most likely are aimed at making the OS run faster on Intel Chip sets.

[ October 25, 2005, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Pzman ]

Again, looking for a real answer from BFC.

As far as I can tell the reason they were hurt by Apple during CM's dev period is not an issue now.

The problem was Apple's change from RAVE to OpenGL without letting the dev's know. This is not a threat. If anything right now Apple has the most complete roadmap they've ever had.

C'mon BFC. Don't make Steve a liar!

So are you delaying because you believe Apple will change the APIs again, despite the obvious course then next 2-3 years will take (you know planning beyond that is impossible).

If it's the jump from Codewarrior to Xcode I know that it pretty big but probably easier now then later.

[ October 25, 2005, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Colin ]

Personally I can wait a few months, i don't want to but I will.

who knows maybe we will end up with the first CMx2 mac game being WW2 and not Shock Force. that would upset the grogs.

oddly enough what caused BF the problems was apple doing what BF are doing now. having taken their core product as far as they could until it couldn't do what they wanted and they were facing growuing customer frustration and falling sales they decided that they would need to go back to basics and redesign the whole thing from more or less scratch, so they had a product that would both match the best and (profitably) grow in future.

It's a bit like the A-4 Skyhawk, the late versions totally outclasses the original, but the time came when the JSF made more sense that upgrading.

I know Apple made some mistakes and as ever played things too close to their chest for too long, but then BF have always been cautious about giving dates at promising things before they could deliver ( look at the PBEM debate).

I suppose I stick with Apple and BF because in there way they both make the best things on the market.

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...
Mr. Picky would like to point out that there hasn't been a PC-compatible version in a couple of years either. Uh...your point was...?

Mr. E. van Pickier would like to point out that the current PC version of the game runs on currently shipping hardware and operating systems. The Mac version requires locating old, used hardware and getting an operating system that Apple stopped distributing. It is as if you could only play the PC version of CM on Pentium III or earlier processors and Windows 2000 (but not XP).

All I want to know is when I can run CMx on my dual processor G5 running the latest version of OSX. That's all. I, a great fan of CM from the earliest version, lost it when I moved up from OS9.

Sad, but true.

Is there a list somewhere where I could register to be notified when I can play CM again? Without my checking in here?

Been waiting for a loong time.

Me too....

any new mac less then about 2 years old is NOT dual boot and WILL NOT boot into OS 9

we all know the CMx1 series will not play in OS X and it is now on its FORTH update (OS X 10.4.3) with 10.5.0 (Leopard) on the horizon so time in the next 12 months.

this is compounded by the statement from Steve and there may be a delay in the initial release of the OS X version of CM:SF!

Maybe we should start a new thread of Mac folks who want to be "on the list" to be notified when its time to play Combat Mission again.

I USED to play ALL the time on my OS 9 laptop. (supplied by my employer) BUT the lease expired and I was supposed to be "JUST thrilled" by new top of the line G4 15 laptop! Guess what??!! its was not and is not Dual boot so NO more Combat Mission for me! :(

So now all I have is this forum and a longing for the new game!

(and yes ... I play CMAK a little at home on an OLD iMac that is old and slow and still boots in to OS 9) :(

Such is the life of the Mac faithful...

-tom w