Mac?

http://www.battlefront.com/subscribe/email_notify.html

Originally posted by Caffer:

All I want to know is when I can run CMx on my dual processor G5 running the latest version of OSX. That's all. I, a great fan of CM from the earliest version, lost it when I moved up from OS9.

Sad, but true.

Is there a list somewhere where I could register to be notified when I can play CM again? Without my checking in here?

Been waiting for a loong time.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apple went back and forth on the dual boot thing. The first time they tried it was too early and there was a massive outcry, so they started supporting it again. From what I gather they changed that again after a product cycle or two had gone through.

As for CM:SF, we are planning on a MacOS X version. No idea what the requirements will be for it though.

Steve

You'd think that the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB SDRAM that comes with the Dual Core 2.5Ghz PowerMac would be enough. Other wise you would need the sub $400 upgrade to the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT with 256 MB SDRAM. Another option from Apple is the $1500 upgrade to the QUADRO FX 4500 512MB SDRAM. ;)

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Just make sure you get a good video card!

That's one more thing I'm trying to sort out. I throw the floor open to suggestions. I don't play FPS games, so wouldn't necessarily need all the goodies associated with them, but I do want something able to handle CMSF and future CMs for a couple of years at least.

Michael

Originally posted by Pzman:

You'd think that the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB SDRAM that comes with the Dual Core 2.5Ghz PowerMac would be enough. Other wise you would need the sub $400 upgrade to the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT with 256 MB SDRAM. ;)

Thanks, Pzman. What's the rap on the 6600 (I'll go look it up later, but if anyone in this crowd has any experience with it, I'd like to hear about it)? What would be the advantage of the the 7800 GT?

Michael

I think the 7800 GT a lot faster and has better frame rates, since its one of/or the newest graphics engine from NVIDIA. The card that comes standard is fine for most users, IMO the others are for pro app users such as those doing heavy duty Photoshoping etc. I'd say the default one would be good for CMSF, but who can say without knowing what kind of specs are requried.

Mac video card options web page: video cards for new Macs

Gaming Performance

3D gaming involves complex visualizations and rapid movements that require maximum processor performance and top-of-the-line graphics capabilities — all with more complexity and better texturing than ever before. Frame rates were measured using the game Halo, one of the most popular gaming titles on the market today, which leverages the programmability features of the graphics card.(3)

graphicsgamechart20051018.jpg

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT

Need faster performance for motion graphics, animation, and 3D design and visualization? Upgrade to the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT, designed to accelerate the latest creative applications and blockbuster games.

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE and GeForce 6600

Standard Power Mac G5 configurations come with the GeForce 6600 LE or the GeForce 6600 from NVIDIA — providing excellent all-around performance for creative applications and office productivity.

Comparison reference chart web page article and review web page from Nvidia

how's that?

-tom w web page from Nvidia

[ November 13, 2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Well, I'd say whether you want CM:SF to look "playable", "pretty", or "I guess I should get a new pair of underwear" has a lot to do with it. I'd be very, very surprised if CM:SF wasn't "pretty" on the 6600. I think that at today's price, the 4500 is a waste. I'd say if you're feeling rich, 7800. But you don't really have to. Of course, I don't even use a mac anymore, so I'm not really qualified to tell you all this.

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

Well, I'd say whether you want CM:SF to look "playable", "pretty", or "I guess I should get a new pair of underwear" has a lot to do with it. I'd be very, very surprised if CM:SF wasn't "pretty" on the 6600. I think that at today's price, the 4500 is a waste. I'd say if you're feeling rich, 7800. But you don't really have to.

That's pretty much how I am thinking at the moment, but I might revise that before I buy.

Of course, I don't even use a mac anymore, so I'm not really qualified to tell you all this.
We'll play taps for you.

;)

Michael

Well if you want to buy a computer today that will have a good video card 8-10 months from now get the 7800.

Other then that'd I'd stick with what it comes with and grab the latest card at the time.

Oh and there is no dualcore 2.5. There is a dual dualcore, is that what you are getting? drool....

Originally posted by Colin:

Other then that'd I'd stick with what it comes with and grab the latest card at the time.

That's what I'm thinking too. Go with stock now, and if it needs more horsepower down the road, get whatever the newer model offers.

Oh and there is no dualcore 2.5. There is a dual dualcore, is that what you are getting? drool....
I think we are talking about the same thing. Apple is also calling it a Quad. When I buy a computer, I try to get something that looks like it will last a while. It may cost a bit more at the outset, but it is a cost I won't have to bear again for a while. My current Mac is about four and a half years old and I've been very happy with it (733MHz G4 Graphite tower), but it is starting to show its age, and if I want to run any CMx2 games, it won't do.

Michael

I just picked up a 12" iBook w/1.5GB of RAM. Very nice machine, I plan on getting a 17" Powerbook after the Intel's have been out a while.

I'm getting to the design business and I'm so glad I'm doing it this year and not last. I'd hate to have to invest thousands into PPC software.

That said, that Quad is going to be amazing for a long,long time. Luckily the tower's aren't horribly underpowered like the Powerbooks are.

I am interested to know about BFC's status on Universal Binaries. That would be amazing. Is it going to be Mac OSX PPC only?

One general difficulty with Mac's is that the most popular (iBook, iMac, Powerbook, Mini), don't really have a choice when it comes to graphics cards, so you take what you get.

My current iMac is a year old, and has a 1.8GHz G5, 1GB of RAM, and a GeForce FX 5200 card.

I don't really have the option to upgrade, so if this isn't enough I am looking at a whole new system by this time next year.

It looks like by then there may be an Intel iMac with a spec that will do it, but the new iMAC has a built in camera which I thought was a great idea, till it occurred to me that I could end up looking at you lot, which kind of put me off.

Peter.

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

...the new iMAC has a built in camera which I thought was a great idea, till it occurred to me that I could end up looking at you lot, which kind of put me off.

If you get the iMac with the camera, that means it's us who're stuck with looking at you, which would be infinitely worse.

:eek:

Michael