Mac?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it is but Mac gamers will have to wait a few months for the Mac version of CMSF to come out. AS you know with the new MacIntel chips to be used in future Macs are coming out BFC is wisely waiting to see how the recoding will be once the new chips are in use. Otherwise they would have coded for Tiger then re-code for the MacIntel version. Just like what happened for OS 9 and OSX.

Pangea software has already re-coded some of their game titles for the new chips so if the recoding doesn't mess up the original code BFC has written for CMSF we should be getting our Mac version sooner than later?

On another rambling point with MP processors looking like the wave of future chip design I should hoppe BFC will make their games native for that sort of processing as it should speed things up as far as game play and graphics?

Patrick

Unbelievable actually that people keep asking "what OS?"... as if we on purpose would make a game not compatible with the latest out there smile.gif

CMSF is a totally new engine and has nothing to do with the CMx1 engine. One of the main reasons to create a totally new engine is to make it compatible again with whatever Apple has cooked up by then. The reason why we don't want to promise a Mac version right away is that Apple has been cooking a lot - again - recently, and we don't want to be locked into something that we can't get out of. This would be a repeat of what happened with CMx1, as Apple made an about-turn on their 3D compatibility without bothering to tell us, a registered Mac developer (and one of many who found themselves with their pants down back then... being one of the smallest out there, however, it affected us more than others).

So in short - yes, there will be a Mac version.

Martin

Not being a Mac developer I do not speak from a position of knowledge. However, given that the vast majority of the Mac user base will be running PPC based computers for some time after the Intel switch can I plead for fat binary code capable of running on both processor types ?

Also, splitting the work among multiprocessors would be nice..

Thanks !

Its been a longtime since I played (non-OS9 bootable computer). I look forward to being able to return to the fold

To repeat what has been said before, Apple has publicly stated that ALL versions of OS X were Intel compatible. I.e., that code has been in there all along. So there shouldn't be any need for a fundamental change to OS X on that account in the future. If that's the case, something coded for OS X now, should probably run in the future. BUT...what Martin didn't say but may well have had in the back of his mind is that we all know Apple is perfectly capable of throwing other curves, as they have in the past. So, taking a cautious approach and waiting for some of the dust to settle is still not a bad idea.

Michael

Its commendable to see Moon's loyalty to mac, though the sentiments don't appear to be reciprocated on mac's part.

To muddy the waters, I heard a rumor (probably not true) that Apple intends to start from its low end machines in swapping out chips and working their way up. That means, i guess, that for awhile stuff that will run on a G5 (or G6 or whatever they'll be by then) won't be compatible with their imacs?

Just rumors - don't trust me on this.

Software will likely end up being available in files which can run on either PowerPC chips or Intel chips (universal binaries). Apple and software suppliers did this 13 years ago during the transition from the 68000 series chips to the RISC based Power PCs.

Many companies have already begun the transition, but a game tends to be a bit different as they really push the hardware and OS.

This is an interesting article about Aspyrs approach:

http://developer.apple.com/business/macmarket/aspyr.html

Which is not to suggest the transition for BFC will be any easier.

Fun part from the Aspyr article:

In addition to the explicit byte-swapping code required by the Intel to PowerPC conversions, many OpenGL-based games rely on Apple-specific extensions that automatically byte-swap texture data in the video card and its driver.

According to Glenda, “it took a few tweaks to the rendering code to stop having everything drawn in red!” This is in reference to a frequent problem with byte-swapping errors in OpenGL texture handling code, where colors display incorrectly.

My friend's boss @ Barnes and Noble Corporate Data Center already had OSX running on his intel win-doze machine. My friend said, unfortunately, it was very slow, AND wild to see. The intel machine is going to have to be a monster of a machine to run that....

I doubt Apple will stab themselves in the back though...

-LoN

Originally posted by VonWebb:

My friend's boss @ Barnes and Noble Corporate Data Center already had OSX running on his intel win-doze machine. My friend said, unfortunately, it was very slow, AND wild to see. The intel machine is going to have to be a monster of a machine to run that....

I doubt Apple will stab themselves in the back though...

That was probably OpenStep or Darwin for x86 he had installed or maybe a bootleg of something Apple had in-house. I'm not surprised it was slow since nothing in the OS would have been optimized for that chipset at that time. I doubt that will ever improve because Apple doesn't want people buying/stealing their OS and putting it on a $300 Dell, they make a boatload of money on hardware and will want to keep it that way.

My company has a pair of Macintel boxes running here, 3.6GHz P4 in the G5 tower case. They run a dev version of Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4). The guy who uses them the most says the OS is plenty fast (boots and loads faster) compared to a G5. He's also made a second drive partition and installed WinXP on it. Boots and runs great with no problems. This behavior is likely to stay. While apple won't want their OS running on Dells, they certainly won't care if their premium priced hardware is used to run OS X and Windows in separate boot partitions.

I for one will be buying a ton of old PC games I missed out on once I get my Macintel. Sure i'll buy Mac native games first, but some of those gems like IL-2 and Rome:Total War that never did make it to mac will finally be on mine... lurking in a WinXP gaming partition of course smile.gif

[ October 18, 2005, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Morrigan ]

Originally posted by Morrigan:

If this is the way to the future I would guess Mac titles (games) will become few and far better and even in 2-3 years there may be no new Mac development if Mac gamers can run PC games on Apple hardware running windoze :(

:mad:

Boo hiss EVIL bill gates, he wins AGAIN when Mac users buy WinXP to run on their in Macintel boxes. ugh! :(

-tom w

How does a Mac user buying the PC version of IL-2 or Rome:Total War hurt mac gaming? It does not, those titles are not coming to the mac so Aspyr and Destineer aren't losing sales... and my refraining from buying these pc titles doesn't benefit the mac gaming industry at all.

That said, I guess I don't care much if the mac gaming industry dies. It brings too few titles too late, and when I'm playing a game I don't care what OS is installed, i can't see it. When i do tech writing or what have you, I use Mac OS X because that's my bag. But for games, each with their own user interface... why would I care?

I understand completely

I was not being critical.

BUT my point is there will be no incentive to develop and release Mac games if all Mac gamers can play the native PC version on WINXP on their Macs. I am saddened by the logic of this and not at all critical that you will be playing PC games you can't get on the MAC.

The whole thing with the Havoc Physics game code that no Mac game developer has chosen to buy will mean that all games using the Havoc collision detection code will NEVER be released on the Mac :( .

oh well

-tom w

/rant on

2 years away from the forum and mac users are still getting the shaft, nice to see things haven't changed. If you think there will ever be a CM game for OSX you are crazy... already people are making excuses about the intel transition. Am I reading this correctly? Is it true that BFC still plans an OSX game? I mean, why?... its 4 years late. I can't understand why anyone would believe BFC with regard to mac support, you are out of your heads to do so, imho they turned their back on the mac a long time ago. I thought BFC had alienated and pissed off all mac users by now, but they are still here (granted, CM was amazing). Heck, its shocking to see these mac users stuck around to run a dead OS for another 3 years. Kudos for creating such a great game BFC... I for one, was forced to give up CM with OS9. I am hopeful for the future, but I don't see BFC making a mac game ever again, its too resource intensive. OSX requires developers stay up to speed with point updates, and BFC will never have that ability.

So, no matter what the developers say, don't beleive them. There will be no mac support.

/rant off

Well one thing is has been made public about the Mac version..

They are clear the PC and Mac versions (if there is one) won't ship simultaneously as in the past CMx1 games. :(

sadly the glory days of the simultaneous release are over....

Mac users will probably wait longer for a playable OS X demo and the game its self now.

I doubt that running WinXp on a Macintel box will be an option by the time the PC version of CM:SF ships, so Mac users will either need access to a PC or need to wait, unless they are developers and have advanced access to "prototype" Macintel hardware, for testing purposes. But thats just my guess. :(

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Morrigan:

If this is the way to the future I would guess Mac titles (games) will become few and far better and even in 2-3 years there may be no new Mac development if Mac gamers can run PC games on Apple hardware running windoze :(

:mad:

Boo hiss EVIL bill gates, he wins AGAIN when Mac users buy WinXP to run on their in Macintel boxes. ugh! :(

-tom w </font>

One problem with running PC games on the Intel based Macs... the graphics cards will still have MAC OS ROMS. That in itself will kill the PC games dead, unless you go out and buy a duel ROM PCI based Radeon that is.

Originally posted by Colin:

OMG!! I CAN RETURN!!!!

MY RETURN IS HERE!!!

I ALWAYS PROMISED TO COME BACK WHEN THIS HAPPENED!!!!

edit: My sig is pwnage, I forgot I had that LOL!!! Also I've been playing a lot of tactical FPS (Clancy games mostly Ghost Recon) there's more twitch but doesn't get in my brain like CM does! Not as many AAR and OOBs in CQB!!!

thought i'd kick off the return with a double post

[ October 18, 2005, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Colin ]

Originally posted by Pzman:

One problem with running PC games on the Intel based Macs... the graphics cards will still have MAC OS ROMS. That in itself will kill the PC games dead, unless you go out and buy a duel ROM PCI based Radeon that is. [/QB]

The machines apple seeded to developers use an intel onboard graphics chipset. I'll put money on those being a standard chipset, not something Intel put together special for apple. In fact, if I can swing it I'll put Mechwarrior 4 on one of those machines and see how it runs. Of course this is not the kind of video system I want to see in the macintels, but if this all-in-one intel solution works now, why would apple regress back to something proprietary rather than just forge ahead with standard video cards?

[ October 18, 2005, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Morrigan ]