Mac?

3% is probably closer.

However, go to a campus or a scientist's lab.

Very very different story. The iPod has changed thing a lot actually.

Apple is changing to Intel in the next 18 months. They are also a hardware company. Their product is an operating system/hardware solution. If there was a Dell OS do you think they'd support MS?

Thanks for coming out.

I'm glad your not my investment agent.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for a long time the "in use" percentage I kept hearing about was 15%. It was higher than the current sales percentage due to the fact that Macs were kept longer on average by their owners, and then passed on to other users. But I don't know. Maybe for a variety of reasons that "in use" percentage has shrunk now.

Michael

Apple expand or die?

Ever hear of the ipod?

I suspect Apple's doing the big chip change now because they're so flush with cash from ipod sales that even screwing-up the mac system entirely wouldn't phase them these days!

Its probably getting to th point that the mac is to Apple like motorcycles are to Kawasaki. A mere fraction of their actual sales revenue but its still their trademark product.

I doubt the CPU change will srew things up. It just means they have more to use, since IBM and Freescale could never make enough to meet the demand. Current waiting lists for G5 PowerMacs are a joke. 5-6+ weeks for a BTO, or 2-3 weeks for standard. Apple is a hardware company MikeyD, although the OS is great too, ipod is just another piece of a hardware company. I think the idea is similar to companies like Sony which make a lot of different products, although I don't see Apple making CD players or DVD players.

At least half of the sales Apple made this last year have been iPods. That said, I doubt Apple will ever stop making its computer hardware since the OS they make is optimized to run on hardware they make.

• 2 years later...

I was tired of waiting to play SF in a mac but I don't like the windows environment, so I purchased a new MacBook and installed parallels desktop 4.0 on it, then I installed windows XP and got the SF& marine bundle, and it works.

The game runs smooth with all the visual options turned at "best"

Thanks to the dual procesors the computer doesn't become half as hot as the toshiba in wich I played the game some time ago...

It cost me a little time and money, but I am playing now my favorite game in my favorite machine, thanks to my friend Michel who gave me the idea, and to battlefront team to produce such a stable and enjoyable application

Parallels Frustration

Juanjo . . . your post got me hoping I could get Parallels 4.0 & CMSF working on my Intel Mac Book Pro (Early 2006 - 2.0Ghz - 256VRAM - 2GB RAM)

After alot of work - install Parallels Desktop 4.0 14 day trial, install XP SP3, install CMSF 1.08, and alot of mucking with settings (both CMSF and Parallels) I've ended up close but out of luck . . . graphics just don't work right - the world is all funny, transparent, and the UI goes blankish . . .

Can you post more details on your machine specs and your Parallels settings? I assume you have more than 2GB of RAM and more than 256MB of VRAM?

I can't install bootcamp due to my disk configuration and not being able to play CMSF is really PISSING ME OFF! =)

Thanks in advance

HI Guderian

Michel advice follows:

Allow 1 Giga memory to the preperences of the virtual machine when the machine is shut down.

Allow as much as possible memory for the pc video card.

Good luck.

Today I did a LAN battle against the quad processor pc of Michel it works too but in mi side the strain was too much for my card and not enjoyable.