Right Angle Shooting?

Neepster

Probably this has been reported elsewhere, but a cursory search did not reveal it.

Anyone else seeing weird visual behavior when vehicles (may happen with troops too, but not sure) are firing at a building and the tracers fly to the buildin and then at the last second make a 45-90 degree turn and slam into the building? It is really wierd and very unrealistic... maybe it is an artifact of the 8m grid?

Anyway, anyone else seen this?

:D I've noticed what you are talking about a bunch of times. I thought at first the round was ricocheing off a building or the gunner was making some kind of amazing bank shot with the 105mm and then after seing it a bunch of times I began to think, what the heck am I thinking, that sure does look really funny and makes no sense. So the grid's the problem?

I'm pretty sure it is the grid causing the issue, although it would be nice to see Steve chime in.

It would be easy to "fix" I think. The AI targeting routine or the tracer draw routines will just have to change how they draw the rounds flying to the grid point. Rather than heading to the player target point and then jumping sideways to the grid, they will need to head to the grid from the instant they are fired.

It is pretty hilarious to watch them zig zag into the target. I noticed this on the first scenario I ever played with the full version and thought it was crazy weird, and I was seeing it again last night while playing the campaign and it was just bothering me, so I thought I'd mention it.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I think it is that the shots are leaving the center of the grid and moving over the face of the building. I have notice that when you assign an area fire the target line snaps to the middle of the building, which corresponds to the grid. Shots then travel down the target line and at the last second spread out to cover the face of the building.

I don't believe this happened before 1.03 and was implimented because area fire formerly only targeted a single point. Now it targets a wider area but the graphics look funny.

I have not noticed this when targeting a specific target.

Anyone else seeing weird visual behavior when vehicles (may happen with troops too, but not sure) are firing at a building and the tracers fly to the buildin and then at the last second make a 45-90 degree turn and slam into the building?
i saw and still see it too. hope there is something to do about it.

• 2 weeks later...

yes i see it in nearly every scenario(i like the replay and watch also the little things). i guess there isnt much to confirm about if everyone can see it.

Is there any way to area fire and target an edge of a building rather than the center?
well you just can fire at actionspots with area fire. so if the specific spot isnt below a corner of a house, no not directly. your units may be have a bad aim and hit somewhere else, or in the berm or wall, in front of it or whatever blocks LOF but not LOS but you cant put the red line there, so to say.

Also, how can I tell if a building is heavily damaged and about to collapse
i acually thought about that some days ago. we can shoot single walls out of a bigger or big house, so these single walls would just need textures for different stages of damage(just 1 or 2 stages). well, and also a system wich makes these textures change and show up, would be needed i guess, as this isnt in place yet.

I have definitely seen it too but I have a suspicion that it happens only for "diagonally" placed buildings and not ones that are aligned with the 8x8 grid. It could be something to do with the extra action spots that buildings overlay over the grid and how this differs for buildings aligned at 45 degrees to the grid.