Mines

pad152

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a number of occasions where routed enemy infantry fleeing back to their own lines have run across a minefield out of LOS to me. At that point the minefield has become visible, even though I had no LOS to it and no way of knowing it was there. I had to ask my opponent why I could see a minefield and he told me a routed squad had just fled across it.

pad152 I think you may not be considering how much mine fields could actually be spotted or detected IRL especially by ordinary Infantry. It didn't always take a human probe to discover their location and they could probe for them with better impliments than their own foot prints. I don't think that mine fields are spotted easily enough in CMx1 IMHO. Mine fields were often intended as a means of terrain or approach denial both against AFVs (such as Daisy chains can do in game) and to deter enemy Infantry. They were layed out together along with tank ditches and obsticles and with barbed wire entanglements in their efforts by the defence. :cool:

BTW I think the idea of throwing mines was meant as a joke, however this leads me to the subject of them being used by Close Anti-tank Combat Troops, esp in the period ranging between late 1941 to early 1944 and beyond when the Germans and their minor axis allies had to deal with ever increasing numbers of medium and heavier Russian tanks and Assualt Guns while not having enough proper AT defences and weapon systems. :rolleyes:

I'll start a new thread on the subject, so if you like you can take a look. ;)

Edit: the relevent observation from it is this pearler "they did also used T-Mines in verious ways placing them under tanks, on their tracks and even actually threw them at tanks including moving tanks, fair dinkum!" :eek:

[ September 10, 2005, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Zalgiris 1410 ]

• 3 weeks later...

IRL not all minefields were hidden. As Mr. 1410 has alluded to, they were often there more as a deterrent to movement than actual destruction, although a bit of destruction would not be unwelcome. Occasionally, dummy minefields were laid or interspersed with the real thing. Might be nice to have those in the game as an option.

Michael

Originally posted by Dillweed:

Not everyone speaks english as a first language

Keine Scheisse, Herr Holmes? ;)

Just for record, my point was that he could neither write his point clearly nor base it on facts. Of which the first sin is the lesser one.

I don't mind if someone writes sense but does it carelessly. However, if someone writes nonsense AND misspells it, he deserves twice the resentment. :mad:

So far the major effect of all the things people want would be to make the average game much longer. I'm talking platoon actions taking several hours.

For the record though I would like to be able to buy so many square feet of mines at such and such density and then kind of paint it on the battlefield. I would also like mixed fields of AP and AT.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

So far the major effect of all the things people want would be to make the average game much longer. I'm talking platoon actions taking several hours.

For the record though I would like to be able to buy so many square feet of mines at such and such density and then kind of paint it on the battlefield. I would also like mixed fields of AP and AT.

Then in future, everyone will hate you for plant too many mines cause many children lost limbs as they wander around. It is sort of unfair in game.

Originally posted by Snow Leopard:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Then in future, everyone will hate you for plant too many mines cause many children lost limbs as they wander around. It is sort of unfair in game. </font>

Not till the game moves beyond WWII. It was only really in the last 30 years that anyone really got into any kind of uproar about this sort of thing. One of the reasons all of the non-combatants on the battlefield talk is somewhat moot is because in WWII they really didn't care.

The funny thing is that I found a WWII AT mine in the Grunewald forrest in Berlin and all that happened was that EOD came and took it to the Polizei. Had I found it on a more recent battlefield it would have been front page news for all the talking heads.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

One of the reasons all of the non-combatants on the battlefield talk is somewhat moot is because in WWII they really didn't care.

Huh? :confused: What makes you think that the non-combatants didn't care? Or the combatants, for that matter.

When Germans burned, demolished and mined Lapland in 1944-45, the Finnish media most certainly made a big deal about it. I doubt the people in Soviet Union, Yugoslavia etc. really liked it either.

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

One of the reasons all of the non-combatants on the battlefield talk is somewhat moot is because in WWII they really didn't care.

Huh? :confused: What makes you think that the non-combatants didn't care? Or the combatants, for that matter.

When Germans burned, demolished and mined Lapland in 1944-45, the Finnish media most certainly made a big deal about it. </font>