Has 1.04 made anyone change their mind about the engine?

I know some people though the introduction of 8*8m action spots fundamentally undermined what the engine was capable of doing, while Steve obviously thinks that it's an issue that can be overcome, and is really a matter of introducing proper squad AI in certain situations and correcting LOS/LOF issues.

Has the introduction of 1.04, which fixes a lot, but not all, of the LOS/LOF issues, while overall feeling more solid, persuaded anyone over to Steve's point of view?

Do people now think what was seen as underlying issues were really the result of bugs that can be addressed, or do they still think that the whole thing is irredeemable?

I think this is the version that should have been released. BFC made things 10 times (randomly selected factor) more difficult by releasing CMSF with so many issues.

Take myself as an example. Right now (1.04) I am pretty happy with how the TACAI works. Yeah, I have a few niggley issues, but overall its playable and enjoyable. But I had a VERY hard time getting my head around the 1.03 LOS/LOF issues, just because I couldn't tell what was a feature and what was a bug and what was a design decision I didn't agree with. Maybe now I can argue the 8 x 8 thing with some reasonable sense of how its supposed to work. btw, I am still frustrated with not being able to target something my troops can see just because its stupid "action spot" is hidden by a wall.

To me the real clean up work begins for BFC.

For me a huge improvement is the removal of the regrouping each time you hit cancel for a squad movement order. Now you can immediately stop your men when stepping into an ambush, or adjust their position more accurately, for better LOF, cover etc.

Huge step forward. No if they find a way for the squad to adjust formation depending on the terrain (corners/walls/hill crests etc etc) to overcome the half squad hiding/half squad firing issue the game will be a 8+ for me. 9+ if they improve the TCP/IP code and fix the QBs. 10+ when the WW2 title is out :D

I also agree, this definatly is an improvement, but it feels like this should be the first released version.

With 1.4 and the 3 QB map packs made by Mishga and MarkEzra, i find my self enjoying the game, rather then playing one scenario, and turning it off in frustration as i did in previous versions.

Some continued patching will polish the game further, but the bugs that I notice now at least, are small, annoying, but not gamebreaking.

Definatly worth another try if you have shelved it pre 1.4.

Yes, i have changed my mind ( somewhat smile.gif ).

I started the "Fundamentally Flawed" thread simply to find out if everything i was seeing wrong in 1.03, WAS all down to the 8x8 system and it's grid locking action spots, or something else. I thought we had a good debate in that thread and i think most people would have learnt something new and instructive from it.

I don't retract anything i personally said in that thread, because at that time i believed the game was suffering from some serious issues and i was getting concerned that even after three patches the game was still virtually unplayable as it was in 1.03.

Anyway, 1.04 is a big improvement, and i can see CM:SF becoming even better over the next patch or two.

BFC have stated clearly that the 1:1 system isn't perfect, and never will be with the restrictions imposed by current hardware, but i am very pleased that Charles, Steve and the rest of the guys are at least attempting to push the boundaries with the 1:1 system they have in place with CM:SF.

Roll on CMx2:WWII !

[ October 03, 2007, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: Manx ]

Originally posted by Ali-Baba:

now if they find a way for the squad to adjust formation depending on the terrain (corners/walls/hill crests etc etc) to overcome the half squad hiding/half squad firing issue the game will be a 8+ for me. :D

Steve: I think you should consider add for the next patch what alibaba has mentioned. It would be awesome to have the troops line of on corners.