Abrams tank

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly believe the US would need to reinstate a draft to actually consider invading Russia, it would easily take over 800 000 soldiers to achieve (and for occupying and pacifying).
My estimate on this would be that it would take more. Some comentators point to the fact that the force multiplying stuff the US has and is developing is untested by the kind of challenge Russia and China might provide. Others point out that although technology is multiplying force that can help win engagements on operational and tactical levels, boots on the ground is still what counts to take and hold ground. Similar to the criticism of attacking Iraq with too few boots on the ground to effectively deny insurgents freedom of movement and concentration.

Russia is a big space and even with the HI-tech force multiplyers I don't see 800,000 providing enough force to space ratio, especially with the large tail to teeth ration the US has.

If one paid much attention to the Putin-synchronized Russian media, they might conclude that an invasion of Russia by the US is under consideration. Putin has revived the old propaganda tool of distracting people by waving a foreign threat in their face. Guess who the red flag (no pun intended) is? Good old Uncle Sam, that's who. Russian media spends many, many hours each weak lambasting the US: from government, to imperialist agendas, to military bloodlust, political scandals, religious perfidy, etc, etc, the poor Russian people are bombarded with a run of propaganda that would have made Stalin proud.

Unfortunately, we don't help much when the administration says things like "We have no plans to invade Iran, but all options remain on the table."

Russian nationalists maintain that supporting countries like Syria and Iran is the best way to distract the Americans from their real objective: the dismemberment and occupation of Russia.

Hey, I'm not saying that the Russian propagandists are right...only that this is what some people are actually thinking about what the US is really up to. Most forum readers will recognize that the Russian administration is simply trying to distract people from their inability to resolve basic internal problems. Russians (like many of people) are eager to blame someone else for their own problems, so as far as they can see, why not blame the US?

I dont know if anybody read my post carefully. I was saying that any discussion about US vs Russia is far fetched because the US will not attempt to invade Russia period. I also wanted to provoke some discussion about how the US army would fare against a foe like russia defending its own territory.

800 000 soldiers would be for defeating the regular army. It would not be enough as an occupying force.

Also remember that I did say the occupation would end in failure if it is ever carried out successfully (unlikely) because there wouldnt be enough troops to effectively prevent a monster insurgency scenario from developing. WHen I read the asnwers, I find out people are not actually reading the posts.

That brings up a good question...

...will CM:SF include Avengers... and if so will they have anything to shoot at with their Stingers (like Syrian off board helos)? Or will the Avengers operate at a levelabove the CM:SF scale?

In CMx1 the AAA could shoot at CAS aircraft (if I am not mistaken). Will CM:SF have comparable functionality with Avengers, Stinger manpacks, SA-7's, ZSU-23's, etc.?

Originally posted by Midnight Warrior:

That brings up a good question...

...will CM:SF include Avengers... and if so will they have anything to shoot at with their Stingers (like Syrian off board helos)?

Yes, the US player needs them to protect him from so-called "Friendly" fire.