Should i get this game? So many whines...

I am a fan of the classic CM series and have been thinking to get this game but there are obviously some problems/issues with the game.

I have had extreme disappointment on new games such as Silent Hunter IV(gave up on patching altogether). I would rather spend two-three times the amount to get a quality game such as Steel Beasts Pro PE. Though no software(game) is perfect but Steel Beasts Pro PE is what I consider the best of its kind with excellent support from the developer company(upadtes are still going out even after years).

As I hate to burn my cash for something that is just not worthwhile so let me ask you the players should I buy this game? Mind you that I don't have broadband connection so big patches is not an option for me. Thanks.

I'm playing CMSF more than I'm playing Steel Beasts Pro PE, but really it's hard to compare the two because they're designed with different purposes.

One is a 'holistic' wargame, the other a MBT/IFV sim.

But Battlefront has always had a good reputation in supporting their games, IMHO equal to that of ESim, plus Battlefront developed CMSF with little initial Defence involvement/funding.

Like I said big patches is not an option for me. Unless Battlefront release new updated retail dvd/cd.

As for why I gave up on patching SHIV. Man there are so many things broken I knew that even patches won't help much. They didn't care on releasing a quality working title so why would they care on making big patches? They didn't put in the effort in development/testing why would they bother so much in after release work? They even at first very reluctant to work on further patches after just 2(TWO) patches. Wtf?

I know BF has got the reputation on excellent support and most likely not abandon their software mid-way but I'm just fed up with poor quality PC games due to rush/poor testing.

They are working hard on fixing the problems and we already had one patch released and another one coming in the span of two weeks.

But with regards to whines about changes in game design, these cannot be patched and you should not expect any resolution in this. One must learn to appreciate and accept this stuff. I suggest playing the demo and see if the design change suits you or not.

FWIW I'm enjoying the game a lot in its present form. Too be sure there are some improvements I'm hoping to see -- my biggest issue right now is vehicle pathfinding.

For me personally if the game received no further changes, I would still feel like my money was well spent. Obviously as you can see from the forum, there is strong disagreement on that with some people pretty happy with the game and others very unhappy.

Originally posted by Runyan99:

With your impatience with patches, my recommendation to you is to buy CMSF in six months.

The only good advice in the thread so far. CM:SF as is won't work as well for you as it will in a few months - buy the updated download version (I presume there will be one) and watch the thread for info on patches/fixes. Or buy retail and prepare for downloading patches. Either way, I doubt there will be an updated disc for many months if ever - CM:BO, CM:BB and CM:AK all had updated Special Edition discs but it is too early to know if that will happen with CM:SF. Even so, it would be, I imagine, a couple of years off.

Originally posted by Michael Withstand:

As I hate to burn my cash for something that is just not worthwhile so let me ask you the players should I buy this game? Mind you that I don't have broadband connection so big patches is not an option for me. Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't play the game as I own a Mac and it's not available for my chosen platform as yet, but maybe you should download the demo although you may be put off by this very fact due dial-up sloooow!

Otherwise maybe look out for a demo in a PC magazine if and when BFC choose this option.

I would wait. I have not successfully finished a battle yet. It keeps crashing.

I should have waited for the WW2 game.

By the time a playable WW2 version of CM:SF comes out though there will probably be something out there that is ten times better or Kevin Costner will be delivering mail on horseback.

How do I sell my eVersion on eBay?

I would wait six months. It sounds like the imminent patch will fix critical issues, the next more gameplay problems.

What makes quick patches more critical for me compared to CMx1 is CMSF has less replayability given its much reduced scope.

I agree with you on SH4. I patched it to the latest version but so far haven't even loaded it up again.

If you've absolutely got no access to patches (remember, patches should be considerably smaller than the full game so might(?) be doable in dialup). I'd say wait a week or two, read any posts on the upcoming v1.02 patch, but DEFINITELY get the game at some point. Its great to play now (grumblers aside), it'll be better with the upcoming patch, and be even better with any presumed follow-on updates. The CMx2 engine is their new baby, I suspect there's no such thing as being 'done' with the game as long as they can think of more cool stuff to add.

Originally posted by Runyan99:

With your impatience with patches, my recommendation to you is to buy CMSF in six months.

This is something else that seems to get overlooked when a game is released with multiple bugs - potential customers/cutomer are lost, as not everyone is pepared to download patch after patch or willing to hanging around for six months for one game and is it any wonder?

I read somewhere that compnies are so busy looking for new

customers that they lose existing customers and don’t even know it, and if they do, they do nothing about it. It costs 5 times as much to get a new customer as it does to resell an existing customer.

Wake up developers customers aren't mugs!!!

Originally posted by SKELLEN:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Runyan99:

This is something else that seems to get overlooked when a game is released with multiple bugs - potential customers/cutomer are lost, as not everyone is pepared to download patch after patch or willing to hanging around for six months for one game and is it any wonder?

I read somewhere that compnies are so busy looking for new

customers that they lose existing customers and don’t even know it, and if they do, they do nothing about it. It costs 5 times as much to get a new customer as it does to resell an existing customer.

Wake up developers customers aren't mugs!!! </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

By the same token, not everyone is a complete geekoid refreshing beginning two days before the game is released and don't really care if they pick it up on pre-order, and are prepared to wait to actually read reviews, try the demo, visit the developer's forums and maybe even get it in the discount bin. ;) [/QB]

Originally posted by SKELLEN:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

By the same token, not everyone is a complete geekoid refreshing beginning two days before the game is released and don't really care if they pick it up on pre-order, and are prepared to wait to actually read reviews, try the demo, visit the developer's forums and maybe even get it in the discount bin. ;)

Unless I'm mistaken Dorosh the games already released and it would be great if I could play it on a Mac, but I guess you already hold the geekoid mantle so not to worry ;) [/QB]</font>

Originally posted by Sirocco:

With a niche product I feel you have to take good care of your core market, though, and I'm not convinced that patching the basics over a six month period or more does that.

As opposed to delaying release for a year, and then not having any customer input into the development of the AI issues, etc.? Or possibly going broke amidst flying rumours of "vaporware"?

Can't have it both ways.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sirocco:

With a niche product I feel you have to take good care of your core market, though, and I'm not convinced that patching the basics over a six month period or more does that.

As opposed to delaying release for a year, and then not having any customer input into the development of the AI issues, etc.? Or possibly going broke amidst flying rumours of "vaporware"?

Can't have it both ways. </font>

Here is what sold me. I was reading all the negative on the forum. I was reading all the positive on the forum. I was searching for reviews on the net. I was playing the demo in between all this. After about my 80th different run through the demo mission, using god knows how many different tactics, I said "I loved CMBO, CMBB, CMAK, and by god I love this too."

I mean if I'm playing it that many times and trying to figure out if I should buy it, I've already decided really. There are games I never play that much that have been deemed "perfect" by the press and the fanboys.

Nobody will tell you this game is perfect. But I guarantee most of the people bitching about this little thing or that little thing are still playing it.

Originally posted by Michael Withstand:

I am a fan of the classic CM series and have been thinking to get this game but there are obviously some problems/issues with the game.

I have had extreme disappointment on new games such as Silent Hunter IV(gave up on patching altogether). I would rather spend two-three times the amount to get a quality game such as Steel Beasts Pro PE. Though no software(game) is perfect but Steel Beasts Pro PE is what I consider the best of its kind with excellent support from the developer company(upadtes are still going out even after years).

Steelbeasts - it is the best of it's kind because it is the only one of it's kind to be released in the last few years. That's not to say it isn't good - it is, but it is certainly not a mass market product.

As for whiners - a game without whiners is a game that isn't being played by anyone...

Patches - if you're boycotting patches then you're basically saying you no longer wish to play computer games. CMx1 had lots of patches and SteelBeasts has had its share. Patching is a fact of life - even for consoles. Since patches not only fix problems but also bring new content to games (see SteelBeasts) it is your loss, not just on CMSF but on every game.

TM.