Surrender

Individual units in combat mission never surrender apart from the last crew member of a machinegun. Even when they are surrounded and totaly outnumbered they fight to the death. Are all troops in combat mission fanatical? I bet individual conscript Syrian unit's would surrender if given the chance, after getting battered by shells and heavy fire.

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Huh?

I've seen entire squads surrender when faced by overwhelming odds.

Never seen it happen to me. The only time I have seen entire squads surrender is at the end of the battle when morale has collapsed for the entire enemy force that's left.

If you can set up a strong base of fire, and then advance on the enemy positions with a number of tanks, preferrably from different sides/angles, you can get entire platoons to surrender.

You can get smaller numbers in other ways, but generally you can get a nice bag of prisoners if you use shock tactics and armored vehicles.

I'd bet mav1 plays CMBB. On the Eastern Front the soldiers are much more willing to lay down their lives for their country because they know the alternative may actually be worse! In CMAK surrenders are much more common. In CMBO in winter (Bulge) scenarios I recall watching in horror as SS soldiers executed their Allied prisoners!

Was that the Rumble II battle? I remember the commander of a KingTiger ordering it's gunner to blast the crew of the AT gun. (This crew had taken out another KingTiger, moments before. Then surrendered after thier ATgun was whacked.)

Individual units never surrender when I play the game. They prefer to rout were they get slaughtered, even green troops, rather than taking the sencible option to surrender.

By the way MickeyD, I do like to play CMBB the most. But I like to think that the Germans and Russians are more civilised in the game than in the real war. Just like the British. ;)

Best way I found to get prisoners is to give a routed enemy nowhere to go. I made a battle on CMBO where American force attacks fortified German position on top of a hill. Several times I snuck around back of gun bunkers, after taking many grenades and explosives, my guys would say 'come out with your hands in the air' and the whole German gun crew would surrender. Knocked out four bunkers this way. The rest would try to run through my men to get away, with predictable results.

Anyway, I've never had a problem taking prisoners when I wanted to.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I'd bet mav1 plays CMBB. On the Eastern Front the soldiers are much more willing to lay down their lives for their country because they know the alternative may actually be worse! In CMAK surrenders are much more common. In CMBO in winter (Bulge) scenarios I recall watching in horror as SS soldiers executed their Allied prisoners!

I play Soviets against S.S. Who wants to take prisoners? :confused:

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Yes you are right MickeyD, troops do surrender more easily in cmak than cmbb. But should that be the case for the Soviets at the beginning of the war. At this time the Soviets did not know of the brutality of the Germans and were ready to surrender when in trouble.

What about surrendering in Shock Force. Would the americans dare to surrender to religous fanatics? Would the fanatics take prisioners for propaganda purposes? So that they behead their prisioners later for internet and tv coverage.

Originally posted by mav1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

Yes you are right MickeyD, troops do surrender more easily in cmak than cmbb. But should that be the case for the Soviets at the beginning of the war. At this time the Soviets did not know of the brutality of the Germans and were ready to surrender when in trouble.

What about surrendering in Shock Force. Would the americans dare to surrender to religous fanatics? Would the fanatics take prisioners for propaganda purposes? So that they behead their prisioners later for internet and tv coverage. </font>