Opinions on Air Bursts

I remember being able to mod explosions in Combat Flight Simulator 2 so there were little strikes all around the main bang; it looks especially effective over water, where the main spout would have loads of little fragment splashes; and this was 5 years ago!

I agree, bang/flash in the air, mess of smoke and dust on the ground.

But no zooming over to the target area and hearing the screams of otherwise invisible enemy troops...

Tim

http://fracpilot.com/videos/Artillery.wmv

Some air burst rounds mixed in there at the end. The only thing I think the game needs visually (as far as artillery goes) is dust. In the video, and every other explosion I have ever seen, a large amount of dust is kicked up. They already model it with smoke clouds and dust from moving vehicles, why not make large explosions create large dust clouds?

Originally posted by the Fighting Seabee:

Some air burst rounds mixed in there at the end I think or maybe just stuff launched up from explosions. The only thing I think the game needs visually (as far as artillery goes) is dust. In the video, and every other explosion I have ever seen, a large amount of dust is kicked up. They already model it with smoke clouds and dust from moving vehicles, why not make large explosions create large dust clouds?

Originally posted by the Fighting Seabee:

Some air burst rounds mixed in there at the end. The only thing I think the game needs visually (as far as artillery goes) is dust. In the video, and every other explosion I have ever seen, a large amount of dust is kicked up. They already model it with smoke clouds and dust from moving vehicles, why not make large explosions create large dust clouds?

Absolutely. Apart from the visuals, it would be more realistic from a gameplay point of view as the dust kicked up by a large strike might linger for quite a while, causing LOS problems for both friendlies and the enemy.

• 4 months later...

Since Artillery Smoke seems to be on most minds lately. The old smoke from arty was IMHO significantly better looking. I just don’t care for the mis-scaled burst of artillery at distance. It stays huge at range entirely out of proportion. An 81mm should not look like a 4th of July sparkler. The "beaded" quality of the burst is distracting. I’ve provided written docs, video, photos, and personal endorsements on airbursts. tongue.gif

Just take a look at the old smoke from arty, it was mean and nasty looking, now we just don’t have that same effect. The “Cone of Death” can be easily addressed by increasing its speed of downward motion. (adding an angle of descent would be much loved) Throw in little random dirt puffs that pop in a circular pattern under the airburst from the fragmentation and you have yourself some seriously intimidating Artillery. We had much more smoke from Artillery is it too hard to bring that smoke back?

I even have a new clip using Devil Dogs

USMC Air Burst

9bktmu.jpg

2re4pbc.gif

[ April 06, 2008, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Huntarr ]

Originally posted by Sixxkiller:

Ya the original was better.

And Huntarr, please contain your OOrahs until the Marines have landed. The correct term for the game is Hooah (and anyother time for that matter).

smile.gif

Except when he's saying no...

Originally posted by Huntarr:

Just take a look at the old smoke from arty, it was mean and nasty looking, now we just don’t have that same effect. The “Cone of Death” can be easily addressed by increasing its speed of downward motion. (adding an angle of descent would be much loved) Throw in little random dirt puffs that pop in a circular pattern under the airburst from the fragmentation and you have yourself some seriously intimidating Artillery. We had much more smoke from Artillery is it too hard to bring that smoke back?

I am Elmar Bijlsma, and I support this message. And not just because I can be easily bribed. :D

Im a bit surprised by lack of dust under airbursts. There is so great looking dust after detonations and even after tank main canon blast. I dont see reason why not to generate some random small dust spots under airburst detonation , I would benefit both visual and tactical aspect of the game cause heavy antipersonel barrage would obscure LOS in that area for a long time.

I think that this video shows how airburst should look like smile.gifhttp://www.splodetv.com/video/usmc-artillery-direct-fire-air-burst

I'm glad you agree Kirq and thank you for that support that's why I posted that video a couple days ago.

I even have a new clip using Devil Dogs

USMC Air Burst

A return and/or addition of the old smoke could possibly cut down on a lot of the cries for Arty smoke as a seperate deloyable assest.

Although we all know we would like it for massive smoke barrages. ;)

Originally posted by Huntarr:

A return and/or addition of the old smoke could possibly cut down on a lot of the cries for Arty smoke as a seperate deloyable assest.

Although we all know we would like it for massive smoke barrages. ;) [/QB]

I would definitely like increased smoke effects for current artillery, but I'd still want artillery-fired smoke rounds even with them. It's an ammunition thing. smile.gif

• 4 months later...

Well Holy Hannah! After more than a year of hand to jar fighting Airburst's Cone of Death has come back with a vengeance and they are meaner & better looking than the original. OUTSTANDING! {Break} Don't let this low res .gif fool you Devilpups they are mean & nasty. There is hot lead in the air and the dust is getting kicked up. {Break} Steve is gonna NJP(Non-judicial punishment) my arse for showing you this, but I'll tell him that we had a bad C2 radio link. {Out}

rh72mg.gif

dzxv9f.jpg

8wwqxi.jpg

post-20-141867620684_thumb.jpg

post-20-141867620685_thumb.jpg

post-20-141867620686_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Heh... there's a battle in the Campaign where the only thing that will save you is a bunch of airburst 60mm in the correct spot at the correct time. Miss your window and you're likely to get overrun.

Although airbursts have always been in the game, damn do they look great at night now! Well, unless your own guys are under them. Not quite as pretty when that happens.

Steve