Good God, don't distribute via Steam

Hey BF folks.

I'm not saying you are even contimplating using Steam as a distribution channel, but jeebus, I've been plagued by their junk d'ohftware since buying Red Orchestra last week and frankly I can't stand it!

Please, if the thought of distribution by Steam does enter your mind, do the honorable thing and cut it off.

jr

Ooooh. Semi-Luddite that I am, I don't exactly have a high-speed connection in my house (I don't even have cable TV :rolleyes: ) . I can't quite imagine downloading a 2 gig game from my connection at work and working out a way to get the thing home. I'm assuming... I'm hoping... that you're talking a direct-download 'option' as opposed to the sole means of acquiring. CDs in jewel cases - even without the jewel cases! - would still be my preferred (horse & buggy) delivery method.

Excellent - sanity prevails. BTS keeps their head whilst all around them they are losing theirs. DRM is a pain in the arse - I'd rather buy two copies to sub the pirates than have a Steam-like half-hour boot up rigmarole. And you can hold me to that...

Michael, yes.

cassh, we will use a form of DRM, just less insane like some of the others out there. We need a little extra security for our stuff, that's all. Now I don't want to enter into another debate at this point (I've just had one in the SC2 forum smile.gif ) so please wait and see until we announce everything publicly.

Martin

I'd rather buy two copies to sub the pirates than have a Steam-like half-hour boot up rigmarole
Eh? I mean, yeah, there was something like that the first time I installed HL2, but after the initial installation, logging in to play took maybe 10 seconds a pop. And for that matter, after the initial installation you don't even need to log in.

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

Hey BF folks.

I'm not saying you are even contimplating using Steam as a distribution channel, but jeebus, I've been plagued by their junk d'ohftware since buying Red Orchestra last week and frankly I can't stand it!

Please, if the thought of distribution by Steam does enter your mind, do the honorable thing and cut it off.

jr

What kind of junk do you mean? I haven't had any problems of that sort.