Any Syrians playing this?

GSX

Originally posted by Abbott:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by C'Rogers:

Well if you missed him before being banned, you can type LoneSyrian into the search field. Some of his earlier posts were interesting.

I always thought that guy was Dorosh posting from his local library. </font>

Originally posted by thewood:

Or are Euro and Ami perspectives the only ones that count.

Why you state this?. Do I have the right to ask "What is it would you learn?" if you can't answer the question stay out of the thread or are you trying to start another flame as you all was do.

I thought that was an answer. Why did it not qualify. I was was actually asking another question. If you take that as a personal attack of some kind or personal insult, I am not sure what to make of that.

btw, my response was really at the tome of the entire thread that someone can't ask for a perspective a little different from the norm.

I do not think that it was a bad question.

I would love to hear from a syrian player. I know that the Lone Syrian was a bit over the top at times but at least we get a different perspective. It's like asking a question about the Iraqi war and only wanting opinions from the Americans. No one side holds the truth. I would love to see how Syrians view the scenarios and the game.

Maybe it is the wine talking but JohnO needs to relax. For a country that holds the 1st amendment to be self-evident what is wrong with seeing it from the other side.

I think most Syrians would be offended just because there is an American game about attacking Syria. I was kinda shocked when I learned of an Iranian game about killing US soldiers. But hey, that's just the way it is. If you grow up your whole life hearing "you are Syrian" or "you are American", you're most likely going to be biased toward your side, as the country you're from becomes part of your identity. I bet more Germans played the German side of CMx1 than the US, Brits, or Russians.

That said, the Syrian wargamers and military personnel who play this game would probably tell you that the campaign is WAY too easy! tongue.gif

Why assume that all Syrians are brainwashed dupes of their regime? It's the nature of most dictatorships (or semi-dictatorships) that intelligent citizens become good at seeing through the official line, regardless of their freedom to act against it. And, really, what has present-day Syria done to deserve Pariah status?

Some folks would do well to reread the introduction to the CMSF manual, which (among other good points) indicates that the Syrian regime in the game is not even the one currently in place in Damascus.

I played German in CM1 cause they were just damn better. I still think this thread is pointless and this:

If you grow up your whole life hearing "you are Syrian" or "you are American", you're most likely going to be biased toward your side, as the country you're from becomes part of your identity.
pretty much sums it up.

You guys don't find it interesting to know how other nations/cultures feel about getting depicted by US companies in video games?

I do.

My father was one of the few Americans who was allowed to go to North Korea, and one of the topics the deligation had was how they felt about how they were depicted by western media. The answers were very surprising and not at all in line with what we have been told.

Since our opinions are radically effected by our media (games, movies, books, news), often telling us how people on the other side of issues feel, I always find it intereesting to see how people actually feel and how that diffeers from what we are fed.