what do you prefer TOW or CM:SF ?

Ok i know they are different genres but CM is moving back to WW2 at somepoint so i feel the question is relevant.

What game does everyone prefer ? Theatre of War or Combat Mission Shock Force.

CMx2 WW2 seems like it will stand on the toes of TOW a little - doesnt it ? (especially with the real time options).

Ok, I know they're different, but CMSF, to me is already more complex, playable, and enjoyable than TOW ever was. And then of course there's the questiuon of the mission editor.

The scripting meant that TOW was like a puzzle where you simply had to find the right way to beat the scripting, rather than employ sound tactics. CMSF for me, no question.

Originally posted by Angryson:

CMSF. I bought ToW and uninstalled it after about a week. You really can't compare the two, CMSF is a way better product, ToW doesn't stand a chance.

i certainly feel TOW was a bit of a click feast that you dont have much control over but maybe i didnt give it enough time.

Originally posted by Angryson:

CMSF. I bought ToW and uninstalled it after about a week. You really can't compare the two, CMSF is a way better product, ToW doesn't stand a chance.

you can compare the two methods of play / engines though , and for me CM:SF offers more precise control.

Isn't extremely obvious that most will prefer CMSF over ToW? I mean CM is the main series of games at this website and this is the CMSF forum. But the games are very different, kinda like comparing apples and oranges. Maybe the, about a year and a half away, WWII module would be more comparable than CMSF.

[ July 28, 2007, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: MeatEtr ]

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

Isn't extremely obvious that most will prefer CMSF over ToW? I mean CM is the main series of games at this website and this is the CMSF forum.

very true , poll would be a little bias.

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

But the games are very different, kinda like comparing apples and oranges. Maybe the, about a year and a half away WWII module, would be more comparable than CMSF.

true as well, WW2 module would be a better comparision but it doesnt take much to imagine WW2 units using same engine.

CMSF made me feel good from the first time I played it and it will be growing on me just like the other titles in the series have, there is a lot to discover and depth in the game.

TOW I really wanted to like, but really didn't from the first minutes of playing and then after playing and trying to discover some depth for some hours I finally deleted it from the HD and am still angry for having it pre ordered and bought before really playing the Demo ......

I liked CMBO from the beginning, but didn't really play it, but I fell in love with CMBB right from the start with the demo .... still LOVE to play CMBB and CMAK !

Originally posted by wolf66:

there is a lot to discover and depth in the game.

how do you describe that depth however and show how detailed it is compared to TOW or indeed the Microsoft title Close Combat (i mention Close Combat becasue i have been trying to get friends/family into Combat Mission for years and struggle to put into words how good a tactical simulator it is !!!)

Hi All,

Both games were in development for quite some time and my expectations were high.

The difference between them is that CMSF has delivered upon my expectations, and even with the latest patch ToW has not.

ToW has potential but who can say if it will be realized.

Please remember I speak of my expectations, and of course, others may feel differently.

Regards John

BF just knows how to do it. Fine concepts TOW has but so much that matters gets lost in the final product, inexplicably. Remember the announcement of a modern CM and all the crying that ensued. BF stated how this new CM would make for an even better WWII product. It's easy to see NOW how off the the chain insane CM2 WWII could be. As I play CMSF I can't help but see its WWII application and jaw drops. smile.gif

Well first they Announced CMSF i thought

"F**ck it up i dont get to buy this Piece of S**t... Damn Modern America Invading a 3rd Class Country with 4th Class Military....Bah"

then after a quit long time i thought

"Well maybee i buy it, not that i will have fun with it, but to support BFC so they can make also a WW Type CMX2 game....."

Well then i buyed, and after the first hours of Patch Frustration (Have the Paradox CD Version with Version 1.0 what did run crappy, then recieved the Crappy 1.01 Patch where just a little thing was fault and made the game unplayable), but after the solve of all now i think

"Damn what a Nice Game Real Time or WEGO booth are fine and the gameplay did realy enhance a LOT the Engine is great and i dont be sorry for a single cent i payed for this product"

But i also think

"Now BFC u had your fun with a Modern Warfare Simulation to Programm, ok gents the Funny time is over........get your a**es up and make me a WWII Game based on CMX2...hush hush !!!" :D:D:D

Well and about TOW, well was a nice Candy between the "CMAK-Lunch" and "CMSF-Dinner", but didnt solve my need for the REAL thing.

Off topic: What is it with people not being able to compare apples with oranges. Oranges are the ones you need to peel before eating!

On topic: CMSF is way better (though not perfect yet as everyone will agree). IMHO ToW was a quick buck they jumped on trying to get more average players onboard, even though they know the game will never come to full potential. It's a business afterall, and if 10% of those RTS players buy CMSF there just might be a chance CMC might get finished at some point (oh dear, allready off-topic again!).

TOW has depth, but it is still flawed. Such a shame, it has so much potential, but just too many bugs, and the missions are too hard (at least for my patience).

CMSF is very hard, but beautiful, with none of TOW's flaws, and all of the upsides. I am completely happy with this product at this point, and looking forward to user-generated missions soon.

Originally posted by Uedel:

"F**ck it up i dont get to buy this Piece of S**t... Damn Modern America Invading a 3rd Class Country with 4th Class Military....Bah"

then after a quit long time i thought

"Well maybee i buy it, not that i will have fun with it, but to support BFC so they can make also a WW Type CMX2 game....."

Well then i buyed, and after the first hours of Patch Frustration (Have the Paradox CD Version with Version 1.0 what did run crappy, then recieved the Crappy 1.01 Patch where just a little thing was fault and made the game unplayable), but after the solve of all now i think

"Damn what a Nice Game Real Time or WEGO booth are fine and the gameplay did realy enhance a LOT the Engine is great and i dont be sorry for a single cent i payed for this product"

[snip]

Uedel,

I feel someone from the crew will smile reading this part of your comment. Yup, something tells me that member #42 will smile indeed smile.gif

Cheers

JV

Originally posted by Uedel:

with you there ! at first i thought i wouldnt enjoy CMSF after playing CBBO/CMBB,CMAK to death but CMSF is awesome ! Its great to have a different range of weapons and tactics. And the game engine is working so well on my 6 year old PC (granted with graphics card + ram upgrade).