Question for Mac Experts

Mac Experts: If I buy one of the new iMacs, say the less expensive ones with the ATI card, and use the ability to run WindowsXP, do you think I will be able to play CMSF while running WinXP?

Thanks. Please excuse the utter noobishness of the question.

If you look under the "MikeyD Space Chimp" topic you'll see I'm in the process of doing exactly that. Imac, Boot Camp partition, Windows install to come. There's several people around who have done the deed already and seem happy (except there's occassional griping about the ATI card).

The outstand question about imacs, Boot Camp, and ATI cards is whether or not it'll be enough power to run Theatre of War when it comes out! There's a discussion over on their board about very high minimum specs for the game. Only time will tell.

Thanks! I read that thread afterwards. For a moment I kicked myself for not looking there first, but decided that the title gave me a passable excuse. smile.gif

I am undecided about ToW. Will probably wait to hear what folks here say about it. Buying CMSF is a given.

Latest rumblings on the ToW board are that the current intel dual core processors in imacs should be plenty to handle that game regardless of 'suggested' spec numbers. A mac's 2.33 Ghz aren't the same as a PC's, apparently (haven't heard about the slower 1.8Ghz drives). I guess we'll have to wait for the demo to see how the mac's ATI card handles the game.

Bexkett,

Current word is that some Mac inventories are running down, which is usually a sign of a product refresh, so if you were thinking of doing it soon check MacRumors, AppleInsider or ThinkSecret ( just Goggle them) to get the latest news and leaks.

It would be a pity to spend that kind of money and then find within a month that you could have got something better for the same price.

Peter.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

A mac's 2.33 Ghz aren't the same as a PC's, apparently (haven't heard about the slower 1.8Ghz drives).

Macs now use the same CPUs as the majority of PCs (namely, Intel's Core and Core2 lines). What's true, though, is that a given CPU's X GHz are not the same as another CPU's - but it's not a question of Mac vs PC (nor is it really a question of x86 vs PPC, or Intel vs AMD vs IBM, as each compagny has changed their minds several times about how to optimize their chips other the time).

The requirements 'game' has gotten so fun these days...

The Intel Core 2 Duo is the reigning processor champ for desktops. It's faster per clock than the Pentium 4 and offerings from AMD. A 2Ghz C2D is faster than a 2Ghz P4 (substantially so).

The iMacs, Macbook, Macbook Pro and Mac Pro all have C2D processors and should be fine (though the graphics cards are always questionable). The Mac Mini is probably out, both because of the processor (only a Core Duo, not C2D) and because it uses an integrated graphics card.

It should do fine.

I don't see CMSF requiring more than 1Gb of RAM. Steve has played with the beta using a Radeon 9600 series videocard and it has generally worked (aside from a few ATI driver issues with shadowing). Your GeForce 7800GT should provide all the necessary horsepower that this game will need, though it is always nice to have the extra power for those larger scenarios.

The requirements for ToW should be a fairly good indicator of what CMSF will need. While AMD's 'PR rating' of processors isn't perfect, it's a mildly good indication of the power of the processor. Almost any of the AMD64 and the Semperons based on them should be sufficient.

Hi there,

Not sure I should be posting this here or not. Sorry in advance if it shoudl be somewhere else :-/

I have read through a lot of the posts here and am still confused as to what the decision is re: the progress of a native MAC version of CMSF?

Am I correct in assuming that there will be no version available for PPC or UB MAC's?

I havent run boot camp before, I dont imagine its too hard... but I was REALLY looking forward to being able to play CM on my mac again... under a MAC OS, not windows.

I have a 17'' iMAC 2.0ghz core2 duo, ATI Radeon X1600 video (128mb?) card. Would this be suitable to successfully run CMSF under bootcamp?

Sorry if all of this has allready been answered previoiusly... Im a bit of an Ubernoob when it comes to machine specs.

Cheers

Yes, your iMac (2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, Radeon X1600 128Mb) should run CMSF fine under BootCamp. If you don't have it already, I'd suggest 1Gb of RAM. One caveat might be the amount of video memory that the X1600 has. I guess you have to get the 20" version of the iMac to get the 256Mb version of the X1600. 128Mb of VRAM might be a little thin, but it will still probably work with CMSF.

According to this thread Steve has said a Universal Binary is planned since coding would be done from scratch for a Mac version. The question seems to be whether if the performance on a G4 would be enough for CMSF. So a G5 might be the acceptable minimum on the PPC side.

It was estimated in the past that it will be several months minimum for the Mac version to be released after the Windows version is released; though there may be other unexpected issues that could cause delays, etc. There is also the very slight chance that some issues (technical, financial, etc.) may shelve a Mac version or its release as a Universal Binary. But nothing has really been said about that (since it still is an unknown).

[ March 14, 2007, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Thanks for that Schrullenhaft, that link sounded promising... will just have to keep faith that MAC users wont get ignored.

I held onto my G3 iMAC running OS9.2 for 6years so I could keep playing CMBO... If thats not dedication I dont know what is :D

Once again, thanks for the info, you wouldnt by any chance know where I could find a copy of bootcamp would you?

Cheers

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

One caveat might be the amount of video memory that the X1600 has. I guess you have to get the 20" version of the iMac to get the 256Mb version of the X1600. 128Mb of VRAM might be a little thin, but it will still probably work with CMSF.

So having 128MB VRAM is low end for CMSF? Hmm oh well... the Macbook Pro with 256MB x1600 was a little too costly just for one game.