XM307 integration

akd

" Thank you for a Fascist moment, Mr. Tag."

Fighting... to restrain myself.... from left wing (and proud of it) rant...

I'll content myself with pointing out that just yesterday Rumsfeld gave a speech warning about the rise of a new wave of fascism in the world... and he wasn't even TRYING to be ironic!

Now what was this thread's topic again? Oh yeh, XM307 integration.

...once again we face similar challenges in efforts to confront the rising threat of a new type of fascism. Today -- another enemy, a different kind of enemy -- has made clear its intentions with attacks in places like New York and Washington, D.C., Bali, London, Madrid, Moscow and so many other places.

The first Stryker picture reminds me of a hippo in a tutu. The dischargers/launchers/? on the front seem to be in the 128mm diameter range and look as though they might be part of some sort of sort of active defense, especially since I can see what look like sensors farther back on the Strkyer. That said, it may just be the viewing angle making something innocuous on top seem more significant.

Regards,

John Kettler

Well, the RPG-29 makes all of this stuff irrelevant. Without something like TROPHY (an Active Defense System) the cheap-o RPG-29 will make short work of everything seen in that picture. And as we know from Hezbollah, the Syrians have RPG-29s. Why they haven't shown up in Iraq in significant numbers is a puzzle that I am glad to not have an answer to. I am just thankful for every day that goes by that they remain in the background. They're worse than AT-14s IMHO.

As for TROPHY, concerns about collateral damage (civilians and friendly forces) are apparently nixing the use for now. And that makes sense. TROPHY would have helped out the IDF quite a bit, but in the built up areas of Iraq it would most likely cause more problems than it solves.

Steve

More interesting info on the XM307

web page here

More info on the RPG 29 here:

web page russian weapons

Caliber: 105 mm barrel; 65/105mm warheads

Type: rocket booster

Overall length: 1850 mm ready to fire; 1000 mm disassembled for transportation

Weight: 12.1 kg unloaded, with optical sight; 18.8 kg loaded and ready to fire

Effective range: up to 500 m

Armour penetration: ERA plus more than 600 mm RHA

rpg-29.jpg