Scenario Community Discussion

If the focus of the new games will be narrower, perhaps the community as a whole will go back however briefly to playing the "same" games. We all have shared experiences as far as, say, Chance Encounter goes, the same way every Squad Leader player cut his teeth on The Streets of Stalingrad and the Hedgehog of Piepsk.

I think a narrowed focus might actually be good - when the CMAK demo came out there was that same kind of buzz - the anguished cries of a thousand souls as they discovered the Tiger in Line of Defense - then came here to talk about it.

The challenge for scenario designers will be in making unique scenarios to fit particular battles - or of pushing the envelopes of each game as we have seen with DFDR and similar "total conversion" mods.

So I don't expect the "shared" aspect to last long - but I wonder if it won't be a little easier to contain - the guy who plays CMBB almost exclusively as Hungarians vs. Romanians has little shared experience with the CMAK guy who enjoys Italian vs. French.

But still, the two weeks or so when the demo comes out and the authors and artists haven't started screwing with the game should be kinda fun, collectively. :D

[ June 27, 2007, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Good point Michael. We never thought of it like that before, but I am sure there is something to this. The downside, of course, is that the guy who only liked playing as the Hungarians will find himself out in the cold until we get around to making a module that fits his wants (if we ever do). Therefore, he'll gripe and complain much the way we had people griping and complaining that there were no King Tigers in CMAK. This is something we are aware of and are prepared for. There will be a ton of griping in the months and years to come :(

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Good point Michael. We never thought of it like that before, but I am sure there is something to this. The downside, of course, is that the guy who only liked playing as the Hungarians will find himself out in the cold until we get around to making a module that fits his wants (if we ever do). Therefore, he'll gripe and complain much the way we had people griping and complaining that there were no King Tigers in CMAK. This is something we are aware of and are prepared for. There will be a ton of griping in the months and years to come :(

Steve

The sad thing is that community fragmentation will start as soon as a second or third "module" is out. Looks like it cannot be helped.

Originally posted by Tarkus:

Well, with the help of COG and all that is nice in modding, us modder will remain a united lot.

That's a start. 133.gif

So the three guys who sit in their basements 24/7 squinting at their monitors will be tight. Unfortunately, your end users will be far from united, Tarkus, simply because of your high output. We can't use all your creations simultaneously, now, can we? tongue.gif

Roight.

But I wasn't thinking along these lines. Just the sheer joy of looking at *any* modders' work even though I will never ever use it. Like the scale modelling community, you know ? You, of course, are refering to the frontline comradship. But these two things go pretty well along IMO. Hence the "that's a start".

I agree though. There is nothing like talking about how well or badly one handled a specific situation mixed with the peculiar feeling of walking on new ground. I went through that in Valley of Trouble all right.

Of course the beauty of all this is that one does not prevent the other. Yay ! smile.gif

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Steve

Let the griping commence. ;)

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Steve

Let the griping commence. ;) </font>

Well as a mac user I am not going to be part of the great late July group hug, but I am not at all bothered.

I suspect a lot of people will go through the scenarios themselves first and then play on line, ( with the usual, oh I've never played that one even though they've rehersed itagainstthe AI a dozen times).

As to the Hungarian thing, I suspect if there hadn't been that niche, they'd have found another "favourite", so with more limited models and a better TOE system they will probably custom make forces and that will allow them to be different and do different things with a similiar set of tools.

What we may see in scenarios later is people putting together the same force to take on different challenges, sort of like creating a table top army and them putting up against opponents armies.

Peter.

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

Well as a mac user I am not going to be part of the great late July group hug, but I am not at all bothered.

I suspect a lot of people will go through the scenarios themselves first and then play on line, ( with the usual, oh I've never played that one even though they've rehersed itagainstthe AI a dozen times).

As to the Hungarian thing, I suspect if there hadn't been that niche, they'd have found another "favourite", so with more limited models and a better TOE system they will probably custom make forces and that will allow them to be different and do different things with a similiar set of tools.

What we may see in scenarios later is people putting together the same force to take on different challenges, sort of like creating a table top army and them putting up against opponents armies.

Peter.

Good points; there will be lots of work for map makers - the truly exciting thing, for me anyway, is the knowledge that there are people out there that will eventually do things no one dreamed of. Not just the goofy stuff like the guy that took advantage of a bug whereby walls on a cliff could be used like climbing ropes in CM:BO (I think Steve said here in the CM:SF forum stuff like that is much less likely to happen with the new code, anyway), but I'm remembering the very dramatic effects on our enjoyment of the game that a simple thing like Tom's winter mods with graduated snow levels had (i.e. at higher levels you could see more ground cover through the snow than at lower elevations). They looked so great that the concept was incorporated into CM:BB as standard artwork IIRC.

So there's a certain amount of anticipation not just of the discussion of how good this will be out of the box, but of what the community will do once they get their grubby paws on it.

I'd not be surprised to hear that at least one or two people have already started researching OOB and map data in order to plan out meta-campaigns.